Lybriums 92XtraV6

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Sweet!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here we go!

Cross your fingers for me folks, we're going to hear this thing rumble this weekend!
Old 03-24-2019, 05:32 PM

It is alive

So this happened! The Engine sounds amazing, smooth and steady. I have to adjust the throttle cable as it's too tight not allowing the idle speed to go down, sits at about 1500. and power steering isn't working right now, but whatever! This thing is f***ing running!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM

Nice!

Congratulations!

Now we need a video of the engine running!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Nice!

Congratulations!

Now we need a video of the engine running!

certainly! How do you embed a YouTube video?? Haha
Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM

If you have your video uploaded to YouTube, you just need to post a link to your video using the link button. The forum will automatically turn that link into a video once you post.

The following users liked this post:
Lybrium (03-31-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Running

Alright! Sorry this took me so long, busy busy, yaddah yaddah...check it out!!!

Everything is going well, there is the high idle, but i'm not going to start chasing that too far until I actually have an exhaust system and sensors on it, power steering is good, and the only codes it has thrown so far are for the O2 sensors not being plugged in, Waahoo!

I have been tying up loose ends, sand blasted, painted and put new hoses and clamps on the filler neck, (it was super rusty but managed to save it) , cleaned up the seat belts as they were getting a little moldy, bleached them and de-rusted the hardware + painted. This weekend I am prepping to paint. The Cab will come first, then doors, hood, fenders and finally box.

Ended up having to put the stock trans shifter back in, but I'm not going to go into detail about that before I chat with Marlin Crawler.

Overall i'm super thrilled, this thing is actually starting to come together.

more to come!

Last edited by Lybrium; 04-09-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Great thread! Us east coasters assume BC is a rust-free paradise - obviously we are not correct! Is there any particular reason you went with rebuilding the IFS rather than a Solid Axle conversion since you had the entire body and frame apart? What's the plan for tires/gears/locker?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Yay!

It sounds like things are going well!

The engine does sound funny without the exhaust, but it sounds nice and smooth!

Old 04-15-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by gyates93
Great thread! Us east coasters assume BC is a rust-free paradise - obviously we are not correct! Is there any particular reason you went with rebuilding the IFS rather than a Solid Axle conversion since you had the entire body and frame apart? What's the plan for tires/gears/locker?
Depends where you are in bc, in the Okanagan it's an actual desert so rust is not a big issue, here on the north coast it's pretty bad though.

In regards to the IFS vs SAS, it comes down to what we do with the truck, a combination of daily driving, logging roads, highway, and some light trails. The majority of the recreational use my rig gets used for is on logging roads, some active some deactivated, all in relatively good condition with minor obstacles to get over, mainly to get to forest rec sites (free remote campsites that the ministry of forests up-keeps) and hiking and biking tail heads.

This stuff is basically all IFS's bread and butter.

A rear locker isn't off the table but I'm going to run without for a couple years and see if i actually would use one first.

In regards to gearing and tires, when i had the 3.0 i ran 31's and the ratio was a good match, but I wouldn't have wanted to go any bigger. with the 3.4 I'll continue with the 31s for now, as i know I'll have lots of power, with the option of moving up to 33's and doing regear/locker later.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 PM

In preparation for painting the cab i found some more rust, ended up pulling the windshield off to dig it out, kinda sucked at the time but I'm glad it happened, things were getting pretty bad under there.

So I've been grinding away at this pinch weld with some drill attachments, taking a long time but it's looking pretty good, only one spot so far where the rusty actually ate a hole through the outside layer.

Any tips for surface preparation before epoxy primer? There's quite a bit of pitting.

Onwards and forwards!
ALFILREY (04-25-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lybrium
Any tips for surface preparation before epoxy primer? There's quite a bit of pitting.

Onwards and forwards!
I've used rust converter before epoxy primer - you can try to smooth it out in there as best you can with body fill as well but be careful not to go overboard.
Lybrium (04-22-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 09:31 AM

It is better that you decided to take the windshield out and deal with the rust now than to find a water leak a few months later!

Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota
It is better that you decided to take the windshield out and deal with the rust now than to find a water leak a few months later!

Not to mention that the developing rust will cause the window to crack!
Old 04-24-2019, 05:56 AM

My thoughts exactly, the windshield pinch weld is a pretty crucial part of the cab, no compromise!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 AM

It took quite a few discs but i managed to get it cleaned up pretty good.

Then put two coats of epoxy primer on.

All ready for glass, nearly ready for spraying the cab.

Last edited by Lybrium; 04-30-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:37 AM

Are you going to paint the cab before the glass goes back in?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by gyates93
Are you going to paint the cab before the glass goes back in?
Glass first, that way i have a clear line to mask against and bring the spray up to.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Bunches of stuff

Alrighty, lots to report since the last update, i found more rot, learned how to weld, put the new windshield in, and sprayed the cab, tailgate and one fender.

Let's start at the beginning, rust.

This actually came as quite a surprise, i was just doing some preliminary surface prep on the bottom edge, saw a couple small bubbles, hit it with the wire brush and two big holes appear.

A neighbor had a welder he was willing to lend, but was too busy to actually weld for me, so it was high time to learn.

Behold my first ever weld

Hah! Ugly for sure but it's solid. Which got me thinking about my doors, sure enough the 'minor surface rust' i remember is actually through and through rot there as well...back to the welder.

It's amazing what you can do with a welder, some sheet steel, a grinder and some hammering, I'm hooked.

On to painting, wait. Back up, surface prep. Alll the surface prep.

I wasn't sure exactly how far one gallon would go so i wanted to have a couple over flow pieces prepped to use up any extra. Tail gate shell and rh fender got dibs.

On to spraying, wait, back up....cutting in.

The spraying went pretty good, except part way through doing the second coat the trigger pin flew out of the gun and shot across the shed, I momentarily panicked, then by some fluke found it on the ground within seconds, it's a brass pin about the size of a toothpick, anyway! Continued.

ta-da.

More to come!

Last edited by Lybrium; 05-13-2019 at 05:20 AM.
old87yota (05-13-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:22 PM

Nearly there, nearly there!

Howdy, it's been a busy couple weekends since the last update.

Spraying the body is officially complete! Plus more.

Let's go back one week...

Looked pretty comical to have most of the truck strung up from the forest, like some sort of vehicular Christmas ornaments.

Had mocked up the hood scoop and cut the hole the night before.

Spray!

Managed to get everything painted and put away before the rains started in the week.

During the week i worked on a grill for the hood scoop.

Got some expanded metal from work, ground it down to shape, primed and painted it, jb welded it to the scoop.

Finished pictures of that coming up.

Fast forward to this weekend, we started by prepping the box and remaining bits.

Spray!!!

Really happy with how the hood turned out

Then we moved on the installing the replacement carpet, if you have a cruddy old stock carpet I would certainly recommend this product, good quality molds and materials.

And that's a wrap. Going to be a busy week again in hopes to have it ready to go to the exhaust shop on the 11th, see ya soon!

Last edited by Lybrium; 05-26-2019 at 09:28 PM.
old87yota (05-26-2019)