86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Kitty's 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Those are some great pics. I never got to see the east side of Austraila but did get to see the west side. The water is a little rough in places further north.
Terry, north-west coast is awesome, does this pic bring back any memories for you ??

DSCF1658-1.jpg?t=1358855962

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The slide out on those campers dont really look like it adds alot of room ,but it does and what a differece it makes. We have looked at some 5th wheels and like how they are set up. Usually the master bedroom is above the hitch and the living room is at the back. We are looking forward to the day that we can get one and live in the different part of the country when it is too hot or too cold. Really think it would be fun to do from time to time.
Our configuration is identical to what you have mentioned, the slide out is in the lounge area, once we've made it more homely I'll post up some interior pictures with before and after shots. We're not the happiest with the quality of finish, in fact anger would better describe it, when you you consider we have no change from 85k it's a joke, but the importer has promised to make good on the growing list of poorly finished items, some are easy fixes, like dark greasy finger prints all over the ceiling, but the trim and panel misalignment is a real concern. These 5th wheeler's are imported from the USA, then taken apart here to rewire for 240v and modified to comply with australian design rules (ADR), we viewed & purchased it before it had gone through the process and the finish was flawless, now it looks like it was re-assembled by an intoxicated blind man, for example they removed screws from exterior panels near the goose-neck to re-run wiring and when they've put the screw back in they have missed the original screw hole by a 1/4" its just BS...... coupled with the fact its a 2,000km round trip to get it back to the importer in Queensland, so saying we're pissed off barely describes our feelings....

But in 4runner news, it's the Australia Day Long weekend this weekend and I have 4 days off, so I'll be fitting my Bullbar and putting a Nolathane bush kit on both the front and rear suspension !!!

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 01-22-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kitty
I was taking part in an experiment to help a friend studying addiction...
a bunch of us were taking over dinner last month about her course and the topic of internet/social media addiction came up... seems this is a new pathology the white coats are adding to the mix... and we wondered if in the 21st century it was possible to live "off line" so we all took a pledge to "web-dark" for 30 days... no notice could be given to anyone except employers and no use of the web was allowed by us or by proxys for us... as the only one of the group with no facebook/twitter persona I was the "control" case... I was also the only one [other then the researcher] to go the full 30 days without logging on anywhere [bunch of weak addict friends we have lol].. we all discovered that now a days it is almost impossible to live or work without some net access. So while social media addiction is an issue it will be very difficult to treat because while an alcholic can choose to stay out of bars a net addict cannot avoid the net.

Sorry to hear about you trailer problems... some people just don't care...

if you get tired of that bumper IK where it might find a good home ...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great build.

I have a few questions about parts cost and availability in Australia. I'm a dual citizen (fiance is Victorian) and will be moving back to Oz in a few years. I plan on bringing my 4Runner with me as I've done a lot and plan to do a lot more.

How much did you pick yours up for? Are they common in the wrecker yard?

I'll need to get a new dash etc to do a driver side swap etc. I've learnt that I can bring my vehicle no hassle as I've had it more than a year but I still want to swap it. It will be annoying to be sitting on the wrong side over there.

Do you see many FJ80's in the wrecker yards? I'm coming down in a few months and might try to score at least a front axle if I can get it cheap enough. They are a great deal more rare over here.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Yes Yes Yes, I've been MIA for a bit !

Apologies to all.

Life just got busy, our trip to the TopEnd, Work, Husband & baby (who isn't a baby anymore) just really haven't had time to scratch myself in the last 12months.

For better or worse I'm back

So in 4Runner news, my truck is still going strong, took it away last month with the camper trailer down to the South Coast (Kiama) for a week.

Parked it in the shed last friday night & it had a baby......

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Why ?? hmmm to many answers, Nats in France doing training & accreditation on a new bird and I'm bored, planning an addition to the family and I want something to keep me busy while I'm on maternity leave but probably I want more zoom when I hit the loud pedal & the 3VZ-E just isn't up to it !!

So I guess that means a new build thread !

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 04-11-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Good to hear from you again!

So, a second 4Runner in the fleet now?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

LoL, yes but thats it....

As it is I'm likely to get shot after the dent I put in my savings with purchases from the last week, just doing up the new build thread, stand-by & all will become apparent.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Ah, but soon those kids will be driving them so that excuses the dent in savings now?

Subscribing to the new thread.

A new (March '14) build thread on a 4Runner in Perth.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-11-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Seeing I'm held up on the Gen-1 runner with the rear axles, I did a little bit on my Gen-2 & an upgrade on my trailer today.

Electrical upgrade to rear bar, 50amp recessed Anderson Plug, 175amp recessed Anderson Plug, 7Pin Flat Trailer socket & Reversing Camera in a TIG'd powdercoated aluminium shroud, I installed this in the bumper a few weeks ago, but only got round to wiring it today..
Name:  DSCF2597.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  100.0 KB
Name:  DSCF2598.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  104.2 KB

The last time we took the Camper Trailer away, had to transverse a creek that was a little deeper than I expected, consequently this fried my so-called trailer's waterproof LED taillights.

Old pic of the lights
Name:  tr-old.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  401.0 KB

Upgraded Lights
Name:  trl5.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  587.0 KB

As you can see I did a little more in the upgrade than just lights
Solar Charge Controller, 10 & 15 amp AC outlets (10amp from 6Kw onboard Inverter & 15amp Park sourced Power) 2x 2.1amp USB Sockets & 2x 12v Lighter Sockets & 150 & 30amp Circuit Breakers, all mounted on polished 5mm Aluminium Plates
Name:  trl43.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  512.0 KB
Name:  trl42.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  505.0 KB

I also upgraded the standard steel rims to matching Toyota Alloy Wheels x4
Name:  tr.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  650.1 KB

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 04-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really Nice trailer.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome.

Terrific upgrade to the trailer butt. The Andersons are in my plans too, front and rear.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:16 PM

Wow, sweet trailer! I'd love one of those to put my roof tent on.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yotatech sure has some creative people... I need to step up my game... jejeje

Nice trailer... I now have... Trailer-N-V... jejeje
Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

I really like all the electrical connections at the rear. Very nice trailer!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well the truck needed some un-scheduled work....

Last weekend I was out collecting 3/4 tonne of firewood from our property, box trailer fully loaded, jumped in the truck, turned the key and the dreaded 3vz "CLICK, CLICK, CLICK".....

So in the middle of the paddock, did a little diagnostics, 13.7v @ the starter + terminal, 12.4v from the Starter Relay wire...................... Dead Starter.

Once home, got online an ordered a replacement Starter, which arrived yesterday, so back out to the property this afternoon.

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, thanks largely to Yotatech and a bit of searching of threads, & a big thanks all you guys that have travelled this path before me.. (have to say the Genuine Toyota Manuals are crap for explanation of how to remove/install starters).

So my truck is back in action, and I have enough wood for a month..

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 05-01-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM

I love going through your thread.
My mother in law flies up from Oz next week. When I move back I'll have to give you a shout as I wheel through NSW. I'm thinking Landcruiser but which one? Australia has so much choice!!!

Canada though it 4Runner country. We can get away with some gnarly mods over here so I'll save owning a cruiser for Oz. Besides, North American models are a pale imitation of Australian ones.