86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Kitty's 4Runner

Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Indeed, .... great job, Kitty, cheers! Salute! Bravo! hehe.... Seriously... I don't mind wiring too badly, ...........UNLESS IT JUST LOOKS LIKE SPAGHETTI SOUP to me! hahah.. And, when the PO's have torn up everything, wired alarms up so that your wipers go off when you turn the alarm off, etc., haha.

Great work, as always!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That’s classic what the PO did with that extension lead. I know that annoying pain everyone gets when you find out what they did before you. A month after I bought my runner the central locking started going off every time I put my foot on the brake. Spaghetti heaven! I also hate when the wreckers cut the harness on the stuff you want. Great job on the install.
P.S I want your sheds.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
That was pretty good getting your key set working. Wish my shop door opened the way yours does and I feel the pain you are going thru on the wiring situation. Just dont understand why people butcher up the wiring they do.

On your tailgate, that is a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. Great when it does but if you dont get it the first time, it is a bear getting it alighned up if it doesnt go right.

Looks like you got alot done. Great job.

LoL Terry, the doors are a very recent addition to the shed, had to lift the spreaders on the roof rafters as our new Caravan is 300mm taller than our old Van and wouldn't fit height wise into the shed, we'd been meaning to put barn doors on for ages, just so that no one could tell that the van was or wasn't in the shed.... or advertising when we were likely to be away for extended periods when the Van wan't there.

Old Configuration

New Configuration

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Indeed, .... great job, Kitty, cheers! Salute! Bravo! hehe.... Seriously... I don't mind wiring too badly, ...........UNLESS IT JUST LOOKS LIKE SPAGHETTI SOUP to me! hahah.. And, when the PO's have torn up everything, wired alarms up so that your wipers go off when you turn the alarm off, etc., haha.

Great work, as always!
LoL @ Terry and Mark.... Yea I'm damned if I know why people take short cuts with electrical's, but I can tell you that I let rip with some profanities when I saw the PO efforts.

Today I got a few hours in on the truck, swung my spare and removed the old spare wheel chain carrier unit (it wasn't fun - I seriously broke a nail)

I spent a fair chunk of time laying underneath the rear-end working out how big / what configuration / how to mount my new auxiliary fuel tank.... Jury is still out on a decision.
Actually any input from you guys with pitfalls/traps to avoid or build ideas would be greatly appreciated.... fire away guys...

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 07-08-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Small update;

Still scratching my head with auxiliary fuel tank design.......

Ordered up a new Double Din DVD / Navigation Unit for the truck

Justified the purchase with "the baby will be able to watch DVD's" and "I can use it for Reversing Camera Function"
Old 07-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two 'justifications', both valid. Looks like a great set-up.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
bump for an update?

diggin the build so far, but i keep forgetting youre from "over there" and am being thrown off by all the extra u's you throw into words like favorite and color...
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

MIA Update

Firstly,

Belated Merry Seasons to you guy's, apologies for being MIA, my 12 months of maternity leave finished in early august, going back to work equates to being time poor for any forum action, or time on the truck..................................

Beside oil & a filter, I've installed the new Head Unit, fab'd a Aluminium Rear Bumper Insert (to carry 1x50amp + 1x175amp anderson plugs - reversing camera - trailer plug) bought an extra set of matching 15x7 Toyota rims for my trailer (saving pennies for a set of Cooper STT's 30x9.5 R15)

Other unrelated news, husband bought a new Mazda BT50 to tow a new 5th wheeler & sold the old new van, we've picked up the Mazda but the 5th wheeler wont be ready till the 18th of January.

Don't think you guys get the BT50 in the states ! ? !

Head Unit installed

Wish my shop door opened the way yours does
Terry, free set of barn doors will be available in about 6months if you want...... The new 5th wheeler requires a new shed, it's even taller than the Van it replaces, so its a pull down the old sheds and build an 50' x 36' American style barn.

Luckily I don't go back to work from my x-mas break till the 14th so, I'll try and add some progress on my build during the next couple of weeks !!

Ok guys, Merry Christmas to all & if you can't be good, please be safe !!

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 12-31-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Kitty, nice to hear all is well. No BT50 here in the states or any other Mazda truck. You guys get all the good stuff including diesel engines. Can't wait to see more of your project(s).

Ski season is cranking up here...wheee! Hope you had a good one down under.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

That BT50 looks a lot like the new Hilux "Vigo" [the fancy name toyota has decided to start calling the truck... I guess plain old Hilux was'nt goos enough anymore]...

Good to hear from you again kitty... check out the new 2013 calendar most of the AU holidays are already annotated. And please keep an eye out come July for next years calendar contest we need some entries from you Southern Cross types.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

That BT50 looks a lot like the new Hilux "Vigo" [the fancy name toyota has decided to start calling the truck... I guess plain old Hilux was'nt good enough anymore]...

Good to hear from you again kitty... check out the new 2013 calendar most of the AU holidays are already annotated. And please keep an eye out come July for next years calendar contest we need some entries from you Southern Cross types.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Merry Happy Holidays Kitty! Great to see you find a little time with the metal baby.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad to hear from you. Hope the little one is doing fine and maybe sleeping more then 2 hours at a time. Everybody else gets all of the good stuff. We can only hope for the diesels. Maybe someday we will get that option.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Happy New Year to all !!

Originally Posted by rworegon
Ski season is cranking up here...wheee! Hope you had a good one down under.

Please, bring back the cold weather and snow, yesterday was the hottest day on record where we were 48.6°C or 119.5°F in your speak, I nearly melted

Originally Posted by aviator
That BT50 looks a lot like the new Hilux "Vigo" [the fancy name toyota has decided to start calling the truck... I guess plain old Hilux was'nt goos enough anymore]...

Hi Av, you've been MIA with me too, I see you've been injured so a note to explain your absence isn't needed...

They're still calling them Hilux here, but the hilux wasn't a contender because it fell way short of the mark on torque & towing capacity !!

I'll try and get some worthy pictures while we're on our holidays, not sure that my truck is going to win a beauty competition so I'll have to use a stunning backdrop to be worthy of a calendar submission

Originally Posted by habanero
Merry Happy Holidays Kitty! Great to see you find a little time with the metal baby.

LOL, Hi Hab, I've had no time at all for the metal, I had plans for getting a heap done on my "to-do list".... My husband put an end to those good intentions, (keep reading you'll see what I mean)

Glad to hear from you. Hope the little one is doing fine and maybe sleeping more then 2 hours at a time. Everybody else gets all of the good stuff. We can only hope for the diesels. Maybe someday we will get that option.

Hey Terry, nah, Izabella has been a fantastic baby so far, sleeps all night every night, in the last 16months I could count on 1 hand nights of broken sleep I've had that she has caused

Diesels are getting so fuel efficient now, they'll have to start marketting them in the US for the masses, let's keep our fingers crossed that the powers that be over there see the light

On new years day Nat tells me he wants to put some k's on the mazda before we pickup the 5th wheeler, pack enough cloths for 4-5 days we'll go for a little drive. Ok, so on the 2nd we set off, lets see where the road takes us

Name:  trip1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  243.4 KB

We arrived home about 6pm tonight (it's just before 3am atm grrrr I have a mountain of washing to do - I love my husband )

A couple of random pics from our lil drive

DSCF6298-1.jpg?t=1358608995

DSCF6349-1.jpg?t=1358608862

Have a few more photo's till the batteries in camera went flat ( I didn't pack the charger ) but you get the general idea that it wasn't a little drive, 6,600km ( about 4,100 miles )

We ( Nat ) decided we might as well stay on the road till the 5th wheeler was ready to be picked up yesterday (oh joy)

To be honest it was a nice relaxing trip other than continually running out of clothes for the baby, the new car was terrific, never missed a beat and was very comfortable, though I've watched 101 Dalmatians, the Lady & the tramp plus Dora the Explorer about 50 times in the last coupe of weeks keeping Izzy entertained.

When we got home tonight I unpacked the car and fed the baby, sorry no pic's of the complete rig because by the time I'd fed the girl, Nat had unhitched the car and put it in the garage.

Here's the new 5th wheeler.... It won't fit in the shed so its stuck outside till we can afford to build our American Barn.....

DSCF1316.jpg?t=1358603006
DSCF1317.jpg?t=1358603144
DSCF1320.jpg?t=1358603653

In 4runner related news - I picked up a new winch compatible polished aluminium bullbar on the way home yesterday, its pretty :jessica: it still in a storage locker in the van, but I'll get Nat to pull it out in the morning and take a couple of pic's to post up....

Ok, need to get this washing finished so I can get a few hours sleep ..........

Last edited by Kitty's 4Runner; 01-20-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

New Bull bar, its covered in finger marks, pointless exercise cleaning it, till its fitted !!

DSCF1324.jpg?t=1358643399
DSCF1326.jpg?t=1358643403
Old 01-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Wow, thats pretty BEEF! Nice, sista!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM

PS> SWEET TRAILER! That thing is Mongo-big, lol.

How are u hon? Everyone's healthy?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Welcome, always nice to see more ladies in here! By the way, is anyone in here also in RAV4World by any chance-- I can't post any longer, have written them 3 times, no reply-- Kitty this is a GREAT forum, saved me LOT$$ of $$$ on repairs! Love you guys! P.S. my new clutch is working great. Installed OEM TOYOTA parts, no other way to go. Did rear main seal also at the same time, thanks for all your support.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
PS> SWEET TRAILER! That thing is Mongo-big, lol.

How are u hon? Everyone's healthy?
Hiya Mark

LoL, yea its a biggin......

We're all in good shape down under ( eww, that just sounds wrong... ) a few extra pounds from all the xmas cheer though..

Originally Posted by Techsus
Welcome, always nice to see more ladies in here! By the way, is anyone in here also in RAV4World by any chance-- I can't post any longer, have written them 3 times, no reply-- Kitty this is a GREAT forum, saved me LOT$$ of $$$ on repairs! Love you guys! P.S. my new clutch is working great. Installed OEM TOYOTA parts, no other way to go. Did rear main seal also at the same time, thanks for all your support.
Ummmm, thanks for the hijack, nice to know the female presence is appreciated on Yotatch though , but I have to agree the forum is the premier source for help and knowledge for 4runners
Old 01-20-2013, 08:26 AM

Welcome! Look forward to seeing your upgrades!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Those are some great pics. I never got to see the east side of Austraila but did get to see the west side. The water is a little rough in places further north.

The slide out on those campers dont really look like it adds alot of room ,but it does and what a differece it makes. We have looked at some 5th wheels and like how they are set up. Usually the master bedroom is above the hitch and the living room is at the back. We are looking forward to the day that we can get one and live in the different part of the country when it is too hot or too cold. Really think it would be fun to do from time to time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kitty's 4Runner