86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I ran into that one time. I would suggest sanding it to get the contamination off. Wiping with thinner doesnt always get it removed. Wish I knew of something to use to see if it was contaminant free before spraying. I will see if I can find some way of checking on the net. I feel your frustrations.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Acetone.... just sayin, lol. I know, it lingers beneath from YEARS of residue/oily air, ..... gremlin poop! lol. Jason, ....doesn't matter if it's next year.... WE KNOW how thorough you are/how nice your work is.... it'll all be worth it in the end! Just be TOUGH LOVING with her, ..... cuz if not, you'll wind up with 10-20 mysterious gremlins as a symptom of anger with you for putting the 97 before her! hehehehe. JK, you know what I mean..... it'll be SICK!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I ran into that one time. I would suggest sanding it to get the contamination off. Wiping with thinner doesnt always get it removed. Wish I knew of something to use to see if it was contaminant free before spraying. I will see if I can find some way of checking on the net. I feel your frustrations.

thanks terry I went through this in the engine compartment to but I thoght I had it figured out.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Acetone.... just sayin, lol. I know, it lingers beneath from YEARS of residue/oily air, ..... gremlin poop! lol. Jason, ....doesn't matter if it's next year.... WE KNOW how thorough you are/how nice your work is.... it'll all be worth it in the end! Just be TOUGH LOVING with her, ..... cuz if not, you'll wind up with 10-20 mysterious gremlins as a symptom of anger with you for putting the 97 before her! hehehehe. JK, you know what I mean..... it'll be SICK!

thanks for the input mark, I really do think this thing is trying to get even with me but dang Im trying to show it some love LOL.

Ok I started on the cleaning the jam back up with thiner again, was going to pick up some grease and wax remover but didnt have the funds got frustrated and decided to work on another project I started, my terry dome light mod got the switch assembled and wired up seems to be working fine but Im haveing issues with my factory switch I will have to check into that. didnt get any good pics of the jam but snaped one of the light. thanks for checking in.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 PM

LET THERE BE LIGHT........................ and there was..... and He said, "that is goooooooooood!" hehehe.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM

I never got a chance to do a start up vid so in looking for an excuse to try out our new vidio cam I thought Id make one of how it runs now.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Great Video, man! Hey, better late than never, eh?

I swear, Jason... most everyone I hear has NO lil 'pup-puppupup-pup' miss like my seems to perpetually have, lol. I keep telling myself it's the cam... but I know I have some lil bastage gremlin in there hiding REALLY good! lol. hahahha...

Seriously man, that is GREAT to hear, Jason... it's REALLY purring!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 05-08-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Great video. I hear you on the clean motor. I spend alot of time trying to make mine look nice and seems like my grubbys get on them and all of that work for nothing. Just mentioned to Mark in a PM that me and you just cant keep our motors looking as nice as his.

Even though it wasnt a start up video, it is still nice to just hear it run. Wasnt to long ago when it wasnt running so it is a little reminder of where you were to where you are at. One step at a time. You guages do look better in the video then in picture. That is a great place for them.

Keep up the great work.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Great Video, man! Hey, better late than never, eh?

I swear, Jason... most everyone I hear has NO lil 'pup-puppupup-pup' miss like my seems to perpetually have, lol. I keep telling myself it's the cam... but I know I have some lil bastage gremlin in there hiding REALLY good! lol. hahahha...

Seriously man, that is GREAT to hear, Jason... it's REALLY purring!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks mark, I still have a few small issues to deal with but Im really happy with how that stage turned out. man I have a hard time believing there could be anything mechanicly wrong with your truck, you have done everything rite sorry your having problems.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Great video. I hear you on the clean motor. I spend alot of time trying to make mine look nice and seems like my grubbys get on them and all of that work for nothing. Just mentioned to Mark in a PM that me and you just cant keep our motors looking as nice as his.

Even though it wasnt a start up video, it is still nice to just hear it run. Wasnt to long ago when it wasnt running so it is a little reminder of where you were to where you are at. One step at a time. You guages do look better in the video then in picture. That is a great place for them.

Keep up the great work.

thanks terry its moving along its just painfully slow somtimes. I would love to know marks secret for keeping his engine clean mine is filthy. I need to pull the cluster back out and see why my oil presure gauge stoped working as it did work when I first put it together, Im really happy with how that progect turned out just need to finish it all up.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Didn't think this would ever be an issue but!!! I was made an offer on my runner the other day the guy just wants the engine and tranns, he didn't low ball me or anything made a fair offer atleast enough to make me think.
I don't want to sell my runner but this project just seems to have no end, I have put off other projects trying to gain ground on this one, I don't have the home time to hunt parts or to spend working on it. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet just wanted to share where I'm at with you guys. Thanks for checking in.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM

OH WOWWWWWWWW! OK, now lookie heah! hehehehe.... JK, but wow, I'm kinda shocked! I know, you're right... IT'S A THING, and not worth letting it steal your joy! lol. Just hoping that once it drives off(IF you go that route) you don't end up TOTALLY ticked off at yourself! lol. MY recommendation, if you should let it go and want another one? .... HEAD OUT HERE AND SPEND 2 DAYS and we'll find you a PLENTYYYY clean one for a decent price(WITHOUT A SPOT of rust! LOL).... If that's whatcha want. See, that's the thing.. I thought you WANTED a project like this of sorts.. Maybe you did and it just become "ENOUGH is ENOUGH of that!", eh? lol

ANYTHING you decide, I'll be watching and, well, "I feel ya, bud!"

Have a good weekend... OH, and DANG SPRINT! lol... Sorry for dropping you like that.... out of my hands, ya know? Call back, cuz I'd LOVE to meet up with ya'all! Busy tomorrow, but after that? YEAHHHHH, BOOOOOOEYYYYYYY! lol. Maybe we could hit the trails up in the Angeles for a few hours, eh? Sunday? Not positive I can do anything, ever, lol... but worth a try, right? I would make it happen if in any way possible, ok?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I can see why you are frustrated on what little time you have to work on it. Get it to my house and I will give you a hand on getting it straightend out. I have read a book or two on these, lol, you see the disasters I get into, and I know you have alot of blood,sweat and tears, but got to go with if your heart is still in it. Sometimes starting over on something else is the best route.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Hey guys thanks for the input and offers of help, after putting a lot of thought into it I realized I'm not tired of the runner just my lack of time lol. I was really let down that the parts runner terry and I were trying to get fell through and I guess just being whiny. I'm done now my runner isn't going anywhere least of all to some one who would have just got what they wanted and scraped the rest, sorry for the drama and back to this slooowwww build lol.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM

WOOT! lol... Can't WAIT til it's done and CHERRY!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM

had a little time at home today and got a little done

cleaned the jam back up

put on a couple good coats of primer

and laid down some paint

scuffed and painted the door

wound up with a couple runs in the jam that I will have to wet sand out before I can put clear on but I found a method thats gonna help me with this, work on ten things at once so I dont rush any one step lol.

I also picked thi up today as my old one was totally wore out, what is it with me and yellow.

and just some yota eye candy, I see it all the time ata truck stop not to far from home.

thanks for checking in. dang I need to work with this new camera and figure out how to resize pictures lol.

Last edited by jason in tn; 05-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM

I really under estimated how much paint it's going to take to do this color change, I figured a gallon over all but that's not going to cut it for sure. I've got a little metal work to do on the other door I got from terry and some work to do on the rocker on the driver side before I can do any paint on that side but those things shouldn't take long. I'm also going to start piecing my 4runner tail gate back together just in case I can't find a better one. That's the plans for now thanks for checking in.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Wow, looking good, Jason! Nice painting skills! And WOW, now that's a dust build up, eh? hahaha.... Must be half paint dust, right? lol.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Ha took me a few to realize what you where referring to. Yes the interior of my runner is filthy lol I will get it clean when all the sanding is done.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The bodywork looks great. You are a step closer.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Ha took me a few to realize what you where referring to. Yes the interior of my runner is filthy lol I will get it clean when all the sanding is done.
Yes, but just thinking, now..... Hmmm... wanna be careful of that fine paint dust getting hit with humidity and kinda melting into your interior? (Not the plastic stuff, more meaning the fabric). ??? Probably not a problem, just curious if that's possible, lol. Terry's right, Jason, it's looking GREAT!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Thanks so much for the compliments guys. I need to do a better job of masking things off. One thing about all the dust its not gonna let paint stick lol. I can't wait to get to the stage where cleaning the interior makes seance. Again thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread