86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle:

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Went up to the Seattle area yesterday and met Corey and picked up some stuff for the truck
got a great deal on his old awning and storage box
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/42814812@N06/, on Flickr
The awning will go on the rack I have. I have plans to rework the rack to get it lower.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/42814812@N06/, on Flickr
I'll have to figure out how to mount the box and will use it as a base for a future sleeping pattern. might see if I can extend the drawers so the two bigger ones go to the back seat
Old 11-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Nice additions! Will be interesting to see how you incorporate the drawers into your truck.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by habanero
Nice additions! Will be interesting to see how you incorporate the drawers into your truck.
Thanks Hab..may be a little while till i figure out what to do with it. Too good of deal to pass up after pricing stuff many times to build something.

Had a little time to work on the 4Runner yesterday to make it 4WD before winter.
Found that the front output flange on the A340F Transfer case works like a Jeep Slip yoke.
I go and pull the stock output flange and ATF dumps out like crazy

To top that off I couldn't use the multi pattern flange because the spline shape/count is totally different and a small diameter
Little tidbit too is the stock flange is pinned with studs.

I ended have using the long slip driveshaft from the 81 after cutting 5" off the outside and 2" off the inside slip. Hopefully it will still be long enough to use when i finally get the duals put in the 4Runner

finally have 4WD just in time for winter daily driver duty and some light snow wheeling

still don't know why some pics using flicker double post..

Last edited by dropzone; 11-12-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Cross fingers for length. Also, what is this...snow...you speak of?

(took the trash out tonight in my bare feets)

Last edited by habanero; 11-12-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 4runner build

Hi y'all I just fixed my yota after her sitting for 8 months I am so excited to drive her again!! But I have a plan for her, to make her into an adventure rig! Something I can take a girl on a date in but then fine a spot of emptiness and just drive. The guy that I bought it from bought it from a guy who put a lift on her so I'm not sure what the lift is but it's running stock A arms and I need to upgrade to better ones any suggestions? What's the best after market A arms I can buy that aren't stock?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Cross fingers for length. Also, what is this...snow...you speak of?

(took the trash out tonight in my bare feets)
I am praying for a lot of white stuff...my fingers are crossed too!
Originally Posted by 87and94
Hi y'all I just fixed my yota after her sitting for 8 months I am so excited to drive her again!! But I have a plan for her, to make her into an adventure rig! Something I can take a girl on a date in but then fine a spot of emptiness and just drive. The guy that I bought it from bought it from a guy who put a lift on her so I'm not sure what the lift is but it's running stock A arms and I need to upgrade to better ones any suggestions? What's the best after market A arms I can buy that aren't stock?
congrats on the truck. I don't know a lot about IFS suspension arms, i cut mine off but you could try total chaos
Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 PM

Thanks I'll look them up I'm about to start a thread for my project
Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM

94 4runner build

Okay well, here it is (sorry for my punctuation in advanced) I'm building my runner finnaly things I want to do is a roof rack a compressor front and rear bumper a winch a light bar new lights probably halos eventually paint a manual transmission swap so far that's it do you guys and girls have any advice or things I've missed any tips where to find
Old 11-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Okay well, here it is (sorry for my punctuation in advanced) I'm building my runner finnaly things I want to do is a roof rack a compressor front and rear bumper a winch a light bar new lights probably halos eventually paint a manual transmission swap so far that's it do you guys and girls have any advice or things I've missed any tips where to find
A build thread piggybacked onto somebody else's thread? Nope.
I know Dropzone has a really interesting build and constantly makes us drool over his ideas and additions, but you'll have to start your own thread with your own title in the proper build-up section.
Good luck with your build and new thread and that's my advice.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:39 PM

How do I make a new thread
Old 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Go back up to top of page; hit the (mumbo-jumbo) Section link, (then choose a different age range/forum topic if appropriate), but anyway at the list of all posts in that particular forum is a button on top left labeled "New Thread".
Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Fossilized
Staff

A build thread piggybacked onto somebody else's thread? Nope.
I know Dropzone has a really interesting build and constantly makes us drool over his ideas and additions, but you'll have to start your own thread with your own title in the proper build-up section.
Good luck with your build and new thread and that's my advice.
thanks hab
How do I make a new thread
looks like you got it figured out
Originally Posted by coopster
Go back up to top of page; hit the (mumbo-jumbo) Section link, (then choose a different age range/forum topic if appropriate), but anyway at the list of all posts in that particular forum is a button on top left labeled "New Thread".
see above, thanks for helping keep this one clean

i have a pile of spare parts and left overs from the trekker. No LED aftermarket LED tail lights that i can find for 2nd gen 4runners and stock taillights even with bright LED replacement 1156 and 1157's leave a lot to be desired so decided to experiment
220* for 12 minutes did the trick
throw tail lights from Trekker and some clear KC LED for signals
running lights
brake and turn signals
not too bad with faded stock lenses
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work yet again, I like that it will look stock until it doesn't. Then it will look surprising.

I pm'd 87&94 with a simple how-to. He was a quick study, may not have even needed help figuring it out.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Nice work yet again, I like that it will look stock until it doesn't. Then it will look surprising.

I pm'd 87&94 with a simple how-to. He was a quick study, may not have even needed help figuring it out.
Thanks Hab appreciate the feedback and helping out the new guy

So went to polish the lenses since they are faded as heck, they cracked like crazy
pretty much a waste of time...I was heating and separating the housings from the lenses since that is how you do it for headlights...well a set of trashed housings and some frustration i think,
Hey idiot why didn't you just cut out the back of the housing to mount the LED's (amber light for mock up). Won't need to do as big of hole for version 2.0 for the brake light
would have been time and money ahead if I would have done that the 1st time around.
so said screw it and ordered a new set of aftermarket housings off ebay since the last good set of housing I have has 25 year old lenses and what to keep one good set unmangled.
Also ordered a set of Clear LED brake lights since they should show through the red brake light better.
overall cost will be about $70 and lessons learned.
Version 2.0 should be done next week when stuff comes in
Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Ancient plastic or ancient plastic + heat? Either way, I'd debated asking if you were going to polish them because they are pretty dull. Guess you agreed.
Well, $70 for a shiny new restart and a lesson? Worse things could happen.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Yep, also remembered I had a 4" hole saw so that should help make for a cleaner cut when the new housing arrive.

decided to inventory the Prius Winter Recovery Kit. With the addition of a couple of soft shackles I can lose a few pounds of steel
Old 11-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
How do you like using those soft shackles. I thought about getting some but I'm not sure if I trust them. There is something about threading in a bolt that inspires confidence. LOL
Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

They sure seem to have become quite popular...
Old 11-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by CreeperSleeper
How do you like using those soft shackles. I thought about getting some but I'm not sure if I trust them. There is something about threading in a bolt that inspires confidence. LOL
i hear you, i will probably try one out in a week or so out at my parents to see how they work in a controlled environment. I probably have 12-15 D-rings that I have accumulated over the years.

They sure seem to have become quite popular...
yep, they are slowly becoming popular. I think you would always need a couple of steel shackles for contact on a vehicles recovery point (like hitch mounted shackle point)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Well let us know what you think!

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: