86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't recall which turbo you are running but, if you are running a common 4 bolt t3. There are numerous companies which make them. I ran one for a while I got it from g-popshop, it worked great. Then I went to a steed speed manifold.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM

I looked back over the posts seams to me the flange you need shouldn't be hard to find. You might try posting in the 22rte-trucks.com forum I imagine a few of us have those flanges around, as I recall the gasket was more than the adapter. I re-purposed mine already.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Troy, .... curious which way you go. Radiator barn showed "Turbo 22RET ONLY" as option 4 on the page for your year. What also matters is shipping, right? But I doubt it would be more than 30$ to ship...I mention that cuz doesn't LCE Ship free over 100$?

Anyway, aught to be A VERY nice addition to that, man.... I mean, Turbo's CAN run a lil hotter, right? Especially with an Auto, IIRC.
Havent even thought about a radiator yet... still got other odds and ends that add up to more than that right now, and like is said below, the motor isnt done...

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
2 UGH's... that sounds SERIOUSLY UGH! lol. .... NO, really, I'm sorry... I TOTALLY can relate to the 'wait'! SUX!

Waiting for a TURBO INSTALL???????? What is the hold up, exactly/specifically? Curious. Maybe I should call and say I'm "Vankmen, the Sausage King of Chicago!"... and see if they hurry it up for ya... "That's my lil girl, Mista... and you're making her and da Baby wait? I'ma make you an offa you can't refuse, YA GET ME?" .... NO? ...yeah, probably wouldn't help, lol. Geesh, how do they make money? I bet I know... they take on WAY too much work, then it sits, and then they're NEVER short on work/just MEN TO DO IT! This seems like MONTHS, no?????
thats his issue... bunni is confused on the matter... he had a HUGE project (600hp 351W blown) come in right before he started our motor... that coupled with some other issues like the turbo being wrong has just pushed it back a little... and its only him and the co-owner doing everything... they are a machine/fabrication/race/motor shop...

he is custom fabricating adapters, flanges, and etc. including a custom oil cooler setup and having to route all the custom lines for the water cooling for the turbo...

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Originally Posted by MudBunni
... All i know is we were told 2 months tops when i was about 6 months pregnant. Then added another 3 weeks for the new turbo. Anf here it is close to 5 months later...
You are ELEVEN months pregnant? That must be soooo uncomfortable!
Yes...
But if you're in the boonies with a new baby you NEED a car!

Great Turbo 4Runner! I sold my original 1st gen due to imminant baby and got a 3rd gen (1997). That baby will be driving next summer!
I liked it better when i didnt have so much money into it...

Originally Posted by mica
I can't recall which turbo you are running but, if you are running a common 4 bolt t3. There are numerous companies which make them. I ran one for a while I got it from g-popshop, it worked great. Then I went to a steed speed manifold.
Originally Posted by mica
I looked back over the posts seams to me the flange you need shouldn't be hard to find. You might try posting in the 22rte-trucks.com forum I imagine a few of us have those flanges around, as I recall the gasket was more than the adapter. I re-purposed mine already.
Its going to be using a t3 off a 2.3 mustang gt/merc... AND hes adapting everything to fit into the factory locations... he even wants to use the factory heat shield... issue is that its a little larger of a turbo its designed to be mounted in a different orientation. so, hes clocking the turbo and having to fabricate charge pipes and basically, redesign the t3 to work in a toyota... AFAIK no one has ever adapted one of these to the STOCK location of the ct20 without aftermarket manifolds and made it look factory... which is what we need because i dont want the smog cops to pick it over too much... what they dont know cant hurt them...

Last edited by space-junk; 09-08-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahaha.... WOW, didn't mean to start a family squabble, lol.........

I get that, Troy... and I can relate.. My machinist takes DAYS at times... BUT, he's finally hired someone, and he's GOOD ... So now things move twice as fast, cuz Phil, the machinist, can focus on THE DIFFICULT stuff that 'HAS TO BE RIGHT', ... while his dude can do all the times taking stuff and help pull in lots of slack. Young guy, the new one... but he's REALLY a nice guy who seems to know what he's doing really well.

Sorry Bunni.......... The 'Mud' part'll have to wait a lil bit I suppose.

HOW'S DA BB, GUYS?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last time we were in there together TROY he said he didnt have all that much to do because a lot of the people werent able to pay so their projects were put on hold. Maybe if youd tell me whats going on when you go in WITHOUT me there wouldnt be any confusion.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:21 PM

And i hardly call this whole thing being pushed back "a little".
Old 09-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 AM

no squabble, chef... :whispers:its the hormones...

the little one is doing great! just passed 3 weeks old... already scootin along on her tummy and is holding her head up for several minutes at a time...
Old 09-09-2012, 02:13 AM

That is GREAT news, man! Lookie at my bb Granddaughter>>>

But she can be serious, too :/ ....Look at her when I told her, "Space & the Bunni are still waiting on that motor!" >>>>>>>

hahahah..JK

Any new pics for us, man?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 09-09-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 AM

I had my t-3 setup with the factory heat shield, in the factory location, using an adapter. I did this for the same reasons you are doing it. Then I stopped caring about the smog folks, I live in a transfer only test county. My setup did show a little bit of the adapter flange. Wish I had pictures of my old setup, smog inspected at a two speed dyno several times, no issues.

I would love to see pics of how they set it up, are they using an adapter flange or actually modifying the stock manifold, or turbo, to bolt up?
On another note a guy I know up here, Sonora, got his t-3 conversion, top mount, refereed. I haven't talked to him to much about that though. Seems like it would be worth a call to the referee at Modesto Junior College, that station has a reputation for referring, well done, turbo swaps.
Hope the motor comes soon and everything goes smooth.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 AM

Mica, will be going to she shop, HOPEFULLY, tomorrow to check on the progress... will try to get pics...

Chef, dont mean to be rude, but, MINES CUTER THAN YOUUUURRRRS!
just born...

Starin at momma

how her and i spend most of our time

yea...
Old 09-13-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Congrats!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
congrats.. mines cuter

Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Cute... but mine And SJ's is still the cutest...

I WIN! I SAID IT FIRST!

lol
Old 09-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats on the kid. They grow fast. Enjoy while you can. They usualy have that middle of the nite thing down pat. About the time you get to sleep, dinner time. Just getting caught up on your thread.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Cute kids folks... love that pic with the cork in SJ's mouth...
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 AM

little update.

we did our taxes and, well, we will have a little excess cash soon. that means time to start working on the runner again. started mapping out parts that we need and dug the runner out of the weeds. also, bunni decided that it was time to wash the engine bay. it wasnt too bad, but if we are going to spend this much money on something the bay will look damn nice.

Name:  439.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  442.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  440.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  97.8 KB

Name:  455.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  459.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  461.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  125.0 KB

she had to edit this pic before i posted it. dunno why.
Name:  478.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  287.1 KB
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Good to see you folks again... it's been awhile... Happy Easter
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 AM

heya avi! yea, we're still here. its just BUSY bein a parent! lol.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

soooo... lets see some new pics of the little one...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread