86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
small update. Found a 4 cylinder rear third set up by Davez Offroad with 4.88s. Its an open dif for now and will allow me to just pop it in. yes, i know that the 4cyl difs are "weaker" but im not going to be hammering this truck offroad yet. just driving it. when the time comes, im thinking about maybe doing a Harrop E-locker since the toyota e-lockers are getting hard to come by around here and super expensive BEFORE regearing them. swapping to a locker will ellimenate any strength issues these 4cyl thirds inherit due to the 2 pinion design. these gears are used and broken in so no worries about having to follow a break in procedure. just pop em and drive.

so, now, when the truck gets running, she will be 4.88 geared and locked in the front. should be happier on the highway and happier on the trail as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:18 AM

Here's some pics of the parts I'm pulling off. THESE ARE ALREADY SOLD! So please don't ask me for them. Lol. I will be updating THIS POST ONLY with pics of the items taken off for folks.

fuel door

​​​​
sail panels

gravel guards

washer squirters

UPDATED 04/09/2017
​​​​

Front bumper

Spare tire winch

Last edited by space-junk; 04-11-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:34 AM

Besides pulling off parts fo ship out during the short lul in the storm, I managed to bring some parts out to the shop as well as pull the mirrors off of the parts truck. It started raining again so I couldn't pull the antenna out, but I'll get to it this weekend. I alsp have to pull the rear bumper, front bumper, spare tire carrier, drivers fender, ecu, startee, ignitor and coil and some other odds and ends. As I said before, if you need anything PM me! This truck has 24 more days to give her parts and then she's gone.

This is the jammed up part from the PO mystery antenna.

Not sure why my camera decided to do black, white and red photography. Showing the inside of the part.

Other side.

What the mystery motor looks like.

Blue sea fuse block. These things are nice.

UEGO. Totally forgot to order a pillar gauge pod. Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to install this into my Mazdaspeed Protege instead. Sorry Doomy!

Alarm and remote start.

sr5 power mirrors I removed. Need to see if the guts are in good shape then paint them white.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So order one. Because that is not going in the mazda. Lol
Old 04-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like yall will be getting alot of good parts of that truck. Is there a vinyl floor in it?
Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Truck looks like it's coming along sweet, subscribed to the thread

Be a shame to scrap the body on that parts truck. Body/frame in that condition in Indiana is worth what you paid for the whole turbo 4runner.

Wish I could get the whole thing, but I would at least be interested in some patch panels if you'd be willing to cut them out and ship them to me.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by flg8r22
Looks like yall will be getting alot of good parts of that truck. Is there a vinyl floor in it?
No, unfortunately the PO ripped out all the carpet(it was an SR5).

Originally Posted by magnet18
Truck looks like it's coming along sweet, subscribed to the thread

Be a shame to scrap the body on that parts truck. Body/frame in that condition in Indiana is worth what you paid for the whole turbo 4runner.

Wish I could get the whole thing, but I would at least be interested in some patch panels if you'd be willing to cut them out and ship them to me.
come and pick her up!! ill give her to you for a good deal! i really dont want to see her crushed. Ive told another person, id like to sell the body complete if possible, but if it gets close to crush day, ill start chopping. send me pictures of what you need and ill keep you updated.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
No, unfortunately the PO ripped out all the carpet(it was an SR5).

come and pick her up!! ill give her to you for a good deal! i really dont want to see her crushed. Ive told another person, id like to sell the body complete if possible, but if it gets close to crush day, ill start chopping. send me pictures of what you need and ill keep you updated.
LOL the temptation is real. Unfortunately getting it home will probably cost at least twice what I pay you for it, and then I have nowhere to put it.
Regarding parts I need, do you have a spot weld cutter?
After fixing the windshield the only rust left on my vehicle is all 4 fenders and under the gas filler. My ideal would be both rear quarters cut at the spot welds and boxed up nice and I can swap and weld them on without mucking with patch panels.

Not sure how much that would be to ship, but if it totals out less than the fiberglass route I'm game!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Sweet!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 PM

forgot to update this. I stripped off as many parts as i could fit on a pallet. the rest of the truck got sold to a guy who wanted the auto trans, wiring harness, and cruise control to swap into his 1 owner 86 22re. he had some ankle issues lately and cant hold down a clutch pedal anymore so, hes swapping it to auto. Still holding onto a couple pieces. passenger fender is in good shape, cowl is mint, grille, etc. anyone needs it, hit me up.

as for the stormtrooper, havent done a thing to it in ages except for pull the rear driveshaft and get the trans mostly disconnected. started to pull the front driveshaft, but it was being stubborn. i was out of comission for about 2 weeks straight because i blew out my ear drum from an out of control sinus infection. then a week after that, i caught another cold that was going around. now, its been over 100* here(109 yesterday) for 8 days and will continue to be over 100* for a few more. theres no way im going into the shop when night time temps are in the 80s still.

Ive also been dealing with some issues with the mazdaspeed protege. its got an issue where its not starting. or rather, it wont start for several minutes(longest is 15 mins). i can turn the key and hear the relay click, but no starter turn over. I was hoping a new battery would fix this, but the Exide Edge that i ordered from amazon came and it looks like someone drop kicked it all the way from florida. the negative post is caved in and its leaking a little acid from the damage. Amazon gave me my money back, but now i have to dispose of the battery as well as find a replacement. I think im going to go with a Duralast Platinum this time. Also had an issue with the factory radiator cap just completely crapping out. Imagine my surprise when i check my gauges and my temps are around 240*. I ordered a greddy type N 1.3 bar radiator cap, but i was sent the type S which wont work with my car. so, im rocking a $10 duralast special until i get the replacement in a month or 2.

so, those are my excuses as to why ive been doing nothing to this rig. honestly, ive lost motivation. finding out that the trans needed to be pulled really deflated my sails. so, i guess im waiting to find some more inspiration.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
What a pain in the rear series of unfortunate events you've had. Motivation will show back up, maybe not so coincidentally when the high temps go away.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:31 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 06-26-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey man, it is okay, I did not do a single thing to my engine rebuild this past week due to the crazy 100-plus degree days last week either. Lets see who can get their's started first.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry to hear about the transmission and the loss of motivation. If it is not one of your daily drivers and you can afford to let it sit, it is kind of nice just working on it at your own pace and do not have to get in a rush. No matter what area of the truck you work on, there are plenty of things that will need fixed, cleaned, or upgraded. Most of the work can be done really cheap. Like cleaning your interior and then the starter needing fixed along with Rads upgrade really dont cost much but sure makes a difference when the truck is done and on the road.

Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break from it. Even a long break is needed from time to time. When you get hung up on something like your transmission, there are plenty of other things that need some attention. Do an easy fix every now and then later come back to the transmission when you are in a better mood to deal with it. The easy fixes are just as rewarding as the more difficult fixes.

The work you have done to your runner is starting to show and will be more reliable when you do get to start enjoying the truck when completed. Overall not many people can say they built their trucks. Most are just bought and driven. I just got done re reading several of your pages and so many of the things you worked on made me laugh and brings back memories of doing the same thing.. Glad to see I am not the only one that has some of the same issues. I was starting to think I was the only one that got the trucks with every issue under the sun. Glad to see someone else in the same boat as I am. lol

After going thru all of your frustrations you are dealing with, you will eventually meet someone who has done a project like you have and brings about a whole new meaning of respect for them and for you. Doesnt matter what they drive. They know what you went thru. Hang it there, it is worth it in the end.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 AM

Thank you all for the support and kind words. Believe it or not, my dad was the one who supplied me with the 7 best words for motivation.

Your. Daughter. Starts. Kindergarten. In. A. Month.

Crap. I for my forgot. If I don't have this truck run ing, Doomy won't have a truck to take my bigger girl to school! So, got home from work tonight and got Doomy drug out to the garage to get to work. In 2 hours, we got the torque converter bolts out, front driveshaft disconnected, and all of the bellhousing bolts disconnected. All that's left is pulling the hoses out from the radiator, setting up the trans jack, and pulling the crossmember out. Then pull trans back, flip flex plate, and re-assemble. Hopefully we can knock this out quick tomorrow night and get it reassembled. Then get the starter in and battery hooked back up. Then start.......seems like the list keeps getting longer...

just got a couple pics from tonight.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
That's quite the motivator!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Its funny how deadlines make amazing progress
Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I wish that was all I needed was some motivation.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
That's quite the motivator!
Originally Posted by highonpottery
Its funny how deadlines make amazing progress
Isnt it? hahaha. Kinda creeped up on me. or rather, maybe i had my head burried in the sand and just pretended she wasnt growing up.

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
Man, I wish that was all I needed was some motivation.
you too could have the same motivation! all you need to do is find a woman(most often, any woman will do) and convince her to have your offspring. then raise them for 5 years while you dont work on your truck.

second thought......maybe the thought of doing that will be motivation enough. bahahahaha.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:40 PM

last night doomy and i.....well....we got a minuscule amount of work done. Ended up getting the trans jack positioned correctly, getting the linkages disconnected, and attempted to get the lines off the trans. i only had an open end box end wrench to use and i was uncomfortable putting too much pressure on it because the fittings were flexing more than i wanted. i looked at the front of the truck and figured that i could just slide the trans back and pilot the hard lines over the steering stabilizer and under the oil pan. got the harness disconnected and the crossmember removed and........well,...nothing. tried wiggling it, raising, lowering, kicking, cussing, shouting and the most progress i made was about 3/4" on the passenger side and 1/2" on the drivers side. i even had a crow bar that i was lightly leveraging on but i was terrified that i was gonna break something. i checked, re-checked, checked again, and checked one more time that all the bolts were removed and still no dice. so, i had to leave it there. Literally slammed the door to the shop as i was leaving i was so mad.

since Doomy and i do most of the work on this late at night, my dad is never really around to give manual help during the week(i guess he like sleep or something) but hes always good for some phone advice during my lunch break. Well, i called him and explained. he said hed double check and give me some advice on how to proceed. Called me an hour later saying that the hard lines are removed and that the trans is sitting on the ground and i was good to go. Apparently all HE had to do was give it a jiggle and wink at it and the damn thing practically fell off the motor onto the shop floor! I was not happy. In actuality, i had the trans adjustment for the horizontal axis just a hair out of sync and he just adjusted it about half inch. Still not happy about that.

so, that means, tonight, doomy and i get to hit the flex plate with the impact to get it turned around and then reassemble. im hoping it goes smoother tonight.

Quick Reply: Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread