DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ill take some soon
thanks fro the info, thats what i was tinking
Old 06-05-2017, 12:15 PM

So heres a few pics of how i bought it. Exterior is on the rougher side than my cruiser was, lots of oxidation and rust coming thru. i have already started on the steel tubing and found some pockets under the top on the side rail.
Seats are ok, i wish more people would use seat covers, especially with hard to find parts
Interior needs a good cleaning
May attempt a full paint job on it if i cant find red doors bc the hoods past restore anyway.
Can i use power parts (cards, window motors etc) into a manual door?

Its a fun rig tho for sure! The turbo has soo much lag off the line at 9k feet its hilarious. Had my buddy following in his 3rd gen 3.4 and would jump out a couple cars off the line until boost came on then it was about the same. And sucks gas pretty hard, ecoboost my ass lol.
DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_5590.jpgDIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_5592.jpgDIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_5595.jpgDIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_5599.jpgDIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_5596.jpg

Last edited by cool breeze; 06-05-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like it's still in really good overall shape, from your earlier comments I was expecting it to be a whole lot worse, lol. Do you still have the spare tire carrier that attached to the back? I always liked the looks of it!

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Last edited by rustED; 06-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:23 PM

Still have the spare carrier! It is a cool piece but i took it off for tail gate use and taking the top off. It is summer and should be pickin up a softtopp soon for her.
Cleaned her out this week and the paint is coming back to a good shine, ill get some more pics when done.
Any info on if i can use power components on a manual door, like tickin the motors and actuators into them?
also where does the speedo get its signal from on these?
i really need a bgb..
Old 06-08-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A soft top would be sweet, I still want to get one (someday). What brand are you thinking about getting, Killer Toy Tops or SoftTopper? I hear Can-back is back in business but they are crazy expensive like over $2000!!!

I know a member on here did a power window/lock swap on his 4runner, might do a search on Redeth005's build thread. I think the motor and actuators bolted right up.

The speedometer cable gets its input from the transfer case.

Last edited by rustED; 06-08-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Ill be supporting SoftTopper here in colorado, seems like the best combo of price and quality.
Ok, just like the old 80, ill check to see why no speed, thanks
Old 06-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
KTT makes a great product and a reasonable price. also great to help out the little guy. just my 2 cents.

as for the door gut swap, it shouldnt be an issue, just make sure you route the wiring before installing all the items. a better idea is to buy some weatherpack connectors and splice them into the harness where it is under the drivers kick panel. that way you can have your power doors and still be able to remove them if you want.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Ktt lead time is 4-6 weeks, too long for me.
Good idea on the doors, now if i could just find some clean ones....
Old 09-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Got some red doors from the 4runner house in dallas, joey is a nice guy and willing to talk through your issues.
Next is how to fix the TG twin sticks, i was drving in town and one of the arms just came off the pin. Upon removal is seem they are barely welded in there, no set screw or anything. Has this happened to anyone else before, didnt find much with a search. And what do you recommend for a fix...
Old 06-22-2018, 06:09 PM

Well a little update.
The door cards Joey at 4runner house gave me did not match the doors i got, ive tried multiple times to get the right parts but have got nowhere. Buyer beware imo.
If anyone has any tan full size manual cards get at me please.

So when drove it at first The truck would dart all over the road at higher speeds, like lateral feet at a time which was quit scarey lol, so i broke into it.
Broken leaf pack! All pro got my choice so new front leafs and bushings all through.
Front pass axle spindle was shot so did a front axle rebuild on both sides.
The funky rad hose behind everything blew so that got replaced, what a PITA!
Went over the whole rig with the buffer and brought some shine back to it and with the tan
Softopper it makes the red really pop, i love it!
New Cooper stt's are nice a quiet but i stayed with 35's to fit in the garage.
I do have it up for sale in anyone is interested but i am asking more of what it is worth than before. Its a nice rig and Jeremiah did a great build, im just ready for something else...i think lol.

Question:
does any tuffy console boxes fit well?
Old 06-22-2018, 06:12 PM

Well a little update.
The door cards Joey at 4runner house gave me did not match the doors i got, ive tried multiple times to get the right parts but have got nowhere. Buyer beware imo.

So when drove it at first The truck would dart all over the road at higher speeds, like lateral feet at a time which was quit scarey lol, so i broke into it.
Broken leaf pack! All pro got my choice so new front leafs and bushings all through.
Went over the whole rig with the buffer and brought some shine back to it and with the tan
I do have it up for sale in anyone is interested but i am asking more of what it is worth than before. Its a nice rig and Jeremiah did a great build, im just ready for something else...i think lol.

Question:
Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by cool breeze
Well a little update.

Question:
I totally understand and respect the need for a change.
smittybilt has a jeep console that is a little wide but does fit.
I scored a tuffy console out of a samurai that I have in my 2nd gen. It is about as wide as the normal factory console. But sami have a tunnel mounted e brake so I lost little bit of usable space

edit: here is a copy and paste of my console.
not sure of the photobucket pics will show
Originally Posted by Dropzone
Pulled the center console today and it ran into some cut off wheels

and ended up with this Hybrid Toyota console with a locking console from a Samurai*

Looking at it i could have used more of the original console for more of a fascia covering.
​​​​​​​maybe on version 2.0*

Last edited by dropzone; 06-22-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the ideas dropzone but looks like im not going to be building anything else for it.
The legend is for sale!
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto...665448284.html