86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get rid of your 85. Sell it or just junk it. Are you going to SAS the runner?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
+1 on the i hate you boat...

that interior is clean!!
but i was wondering if that instrument cluster was stock for the turbos???
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
How much of the stuff from the '85 are you gonna be able to switch over to the Turbo? I am jealous of both your 4Runners...gonna follow this build to see what you come up with
Old 10-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I hate you, for two reasons.
1. That 85 was sweet, and now it's gone.
2. You Turbo is badass and it's not mine.

Good luck. I will be following this closely.

Oh, and what would it take for you to build a bumper like that for me? (seriously)
Originally Posted by slisdexia
I second that
1. I hate you
2. You have a sweet rig, and mine pretty much sucks right now
3. You have a place to do that dammit!
4. I'd love a turbo, they're just sweet.

Seriously though, it's looking good, I like how you did that bumper. Good luck with it!
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
lookin good man

ps. i also hate you
i want your turbo22re=(
Originally Posted by jason191918
X3. I hate your guts.

Originally Posted by space-junk
+1 on the i hate you boat...

that interior is clean!!
but i was wondering if that instrument cluster was stock for the turbos???
Wow! Everyone hates me ...

I have to agree with you guy's, the Turbo 4Runner is pretty sweet and clean. It's going to be awesome to have a clean and capable rig that's also comfortable.

I think that the digital dash was stock for the Turbo 4Runners, I know that the Turbo trucks also had normal clusters.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
well, i dont hate you, but envy you. When i clean the interior of my 4Runner it cleans up just as well. That's awesome to see such a beautiful 4Runner.

I will be subscribing to this build-up as well.

I wish you the best of luck and please please please take care of her. Im going to cring the first time you tag it on something!

haha good luck
Old 10-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Just kidding man, we love you.... In a non-prison movie kinda way.

What are you doing for the transmission? Auto or manual?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
that turbo looks really good.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by 934rnr
Awsome 4 runner.
When you see the digital dash in your runner does the knight rider tune play head? Lol
You gonna part out the old one?
More than once! It's even cooler when it's boosted up, and you always know EXACTLY how fast you going. As for the 85' 4Runner, it got cut up last weekend (RIP) and I'm in the process of storing/selling the parts.

Originally Posted by saitotiktmdog
Did you get rid of your 85. Sell it or just junk it. Are you going to SAS the runner?
As above, I chopped the truck up. Some of the parts are getting sold and some being kept for the Turbo 4Runner. And yes, I'm going to SAS the Turbo 4Runner

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
How much of the stuff from the '85 are you gonna be able to switch over to the Turbo? I am jealous of both your 4Runners...gonna follow this build to see what you come up with
Well, there's only one left , but it's for the best. The front axle will be going in it, other than that I'm still working on the details. This 4Runner will have to sit a little taller (so that I don't have cut the body), the suspension will have to be changed around a bit from the last truck.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:08 PM

3" lift in the front and 4" in the back gets my runner with no rubbing. I have a bent front hanger on the driver's side that makes it hit the pinch when I am turning. I have 33", I know you said you wanted 35" so maybe 4" front 5" rear...
Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
well, i dont hate you, but envy you. When i clean the interior of my 4Runner it cleans up just as well. That's awesome to see such a beautiful 4Runner.

I will be subscribing to this build-up as well.

I wish you the best of luck and please please please take care of her. Im going to cring the first time you tag it on something!

haha good luck
I know I was just joking!

Before I took the picture's I cleaned it up and waxed it, it's not perfect by any means but it is in very good shape.

I will be taking care of this one, the last one I knew would get destoyed (even when I first started building it). That's why it has to be capable and be able to get itself out of trouble without getting crazy, and taking out the sheet metal.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I envy you so much that if envy were people I'd have enough folks to start my own army and take over China!

That runner looks great. Keep up with the pictures, more welding less typing!!!!!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Just kidding man, we love you.... In a non-prison movie kinda way.

What are you doing for the transmission? Auto or manual?
3" lift in the front and 4" in the back gets my runner with no rubbing. I have a bent front hanger on the driver's side that makes it hit the pinch when I am turning. I have 33", I know you said you wanted 35" so maybe 4" front 5" rear...
That makes me feel better!

I'm still working on the details of the transmission, I do know that I will be keeping the dual cases (or worst case, going to a single 4.7 case). I've been checking out the Inchworm adapter but everything I find is pretty much lacking the info I'm looking for. The auto is comfortable and with gearing I'll be able to eat ice cream and popsicle's while driving over rocks (I'm just joking, ... but seriously, you never know) The only thing that sucks about the auto is how gutless it is taking off from a stop and the random gear shifts at the wrong time. The other issue is that I don't want to hack up the Turbo 4Runner and I want to keep the rear heater. With a manual transmission you could run a trpple shifter and keep any cutting to a minimum.

As for the suspension, I don't want the thing to set super high. The last 4Runner sat SUPER low, I know that's not possible with this one but I would like to find some common ground between the two and keep it as low as possible. Do you have any pictures of your rig that I can compare lift and clearance to? Most of the suspension picture's I've seen are after the install, it would be great to see some after some normal wear and tear.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I envy you so much that if envy were people I'd have enough folks to start my own army and take over China!

That runner looks great. Keep up with the pictures, more welding less typing!!!!!
That's too funny!

I got the Co2 tank and bracket mounted up, I wanted to keep as much room as possible.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey man nice truck. I had 2 86 Turbo Runners at the same time and sold them both very quickly (long, sad story ) one of them is my user picture. It was immaculate! Anyways just wondering the kind of mileage you were getting, thats the reason I sold mine, I was getting 12mpg at worst and 13mpg at best. I think it was the fact that they were both automatic transmissions and both the transmissions were screwed. I really wanted to swap in a manual but money was tight. (hence, they are gone)
Old 10-02-2008, 09:22 PM

My rear springs only have a couple hundred miles on them at most. I just got the new engine in it, so I will start getting them to settle. Also, my rear shackle angle is horrible and making the rear sit higher.

I found that 3" lift springs in the rear sat too low with the topper on, 4" sat much more level.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
That's too funny!

I got the Co2 tank and bracket mounted up, I wanted to keep as much room as possible.

HOLY CRAP!!! That is an Old School Kicker... they stopped making that design around 2000... but i bet that it still sounds brand new, huh?

anyways, nice build, and like junker said, more welding less typing!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by toylocost
Hey man nice truck. I had 2 86 Turbo Runners at the same time and sold them both very quickly (long, sad story ) one of them is my user picture. It was immaculate! Anyways just wondering the kind of mileage you were getting, thats the reason I sold mine, I was getting 12mpg at worst and 13mpg at best. I think it was the fact that they were both automatic transmissions and both the transmissions were screwed. I really wanted to swap in a manual but money was tight. (hence, they are gone)
That suck's about your Turbo 4Runners, I would have kept the nice one and sold the other. Then you could have used that money to convert it over to a manual . I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

I get between 19-20 on the highway, I don't really know what I get around town but I don't think it's much less.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:02 PM

My rear springs only have a couple hundred miles on them at most. I just got the new engine in it, so I will start getting them to settle. Also, my rear shackle angle is horrible and making the rear sit higher.

I found that 3" lift springs in the rear sat too low with the topper on, 4" sat much more level.
That's what I figured on the rear springs, 3 and 4 should sit pretty level. I just wonder how much they are going to break in. This is another 4Runner I saw on the board, and he said he is running 3 and 4 on 35's (this is after he installed it and I don't think the springs have settled).

Old 10-03-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
HOLY CRAP!!! That is an Old School Kicker... they stopped making that design around 2000... but i bet that it still sounds brand new, huh?

anyways, nice build, and like junker said, more welding less typing!!!
I think it's been in more than a few vehicles, I got it for free from a friend. It works and sounds good, so I have never replaced it. I'd rather spend my money on something else for the time being.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:15 PM

One thing about my setup is that the ONLY things that have been replaced on my lift is the springs and shocks. I have stock shackles, stock mounting locations, etc. etc. On the front of the rig you just posted it has this for the fronts along with longer shackles.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That red truck looks like it doesn't know what's gonna hit it. I've never seen so much body damage. Either you're a terrible driver, or very dedicated.

Quick Reply: DIRTCO's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread