86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Chefyota4x4's Ruby R3dRuM to "Suzy-Q the Silverback" Body Swap Thread!

Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm going to start a thread in the Classified solely dedicated to this truck. There's so much stuff on it that is clean beyond belief. Entire steering column and gearbox, radiator, call in an order, entire 3.0 motor that is complete including full EFI harness, full fusible link honest, full main harness... Panels, back seats, front seats, most of the dash( dash pad is cracked/ not terribly but nonetheless it is cracked) , tailgate pad, SR5 aluminum rims and tires with lots of tred, manual locking hubs, front axle and CV's, rear axle housing & 2 &, fuel tank and fuel pump assembly and fuel level assembly, heater core, evap, blower, the condenser, and MORE....As well as lots of my red truck as well....
Old 02-24-2014, 07:29 AM

Name:  IMG_20140223_120711.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  1.67 MB

Name:  20140223_154951.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  2.70 MB

Today, I will work on pulling the lines from the condenser and fuel tank and air conditioning, radiator and trans cooling system line , ... And in all honesty, at that point, I should be pretty much ready to move on to the red one.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed! Hopefully this thread won't grow exponentially everyday, like your other thread. I might actually be able to keep up with this one
Old 02-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Subscribed! Hopefully this thread won't grow exponentially everyday, like your other thread. I might actually be able to keep up with this one
This^ hahaha!

Good luck with the swap, Chef!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM

hey buddy so glad to see you got a plan together and have put it in action. If I can I will try to get a lay over out there when it comes time for the heavy lifting etc.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Yea right your dreaming Kinda glad a new thread was started but kinda sad at the same time

Can't wait to see this grow mark keep up the sweet work and I'm sure you know you might start thinking ahead as far as wiring, routing things you were gonna do because what a great time to do EVERYTHING while its all stripped out

Anyhoo good luck wish I was close I would come help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't been on Yotatech in a month or so. Then I saw all your Youtube videos talking about a body swap donor, and I knew I needed to get caught up.

I hate it happened, but I'm pumped to see you so excited to get it rebuilt. Might be a good time to throw in that 4xInnovations internal cage?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You make me feel lazy...
Old 02-25-2014, 12:19 AM

Today was huge and I went from 8am(6 am starting to plan)... till 10:45pm... Pretty sure I am pretty much ready to pull the silver one....

Jonny came down and we got a good chunk done on old Ruby...

Sorry that's all I have is these 15 seconds Instagram videos that I did, but maybe that's best. I don't have time to do big write up too right now and later I can maybe catch y'all up on all the details and how to's....

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-25-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Go Chef Go !

Looking forward to this metamorphosis.

Love your work !!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty's 4Runner
Go Chef Go !

Looking forward to this metamorphosis.

Love your work !!
Meeeeeowwwww! Lol.... How you been, Kitty? Thanks for the motivation! I haven't stopped ! and I am so overwhelmed with wiring and such, I can't even tell you how many days I've been on this... Hahaha. Its the least a few. Great to hear from you, and I hope things are going great for you in your neck of the woods.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I consider it a 40 hour job when all is said and done. Stripping Silverback down will take the longest and lifting the bodies off will to. After that, it will start to move fast for you as you will know what steps need done and how to go about it.

We are going to make a body man out of you yet, after fixing your daughters front end and your roll over. Did not like to see Ruby get rolled, but after this, you can truly say you Built, Not Bought your rig. You will have had your hands on every piece of this new rig.

Good call on the fuel pump bracket, those are hard to find and something most don't think to keep when parting a truck. I know when I was in California, they removed the fuel tanks before putting a truck in the yard. If you have a place to store it until it sells, store it upside down. I have wound up selling every fuel tank that I have come across. I had to sit on them for a few days.

I have a Dr. appointment but should be around the house around 11 pm your time if any thing comes up. You are making progress and it will start to get easier soon.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I consider it a 40 hour job when all is said and done. Stripping Silverback down will take the longest and lifting the bodies off will to. After that, it will start to move fast for you as you will know what steps need done and how to go about it.

We are going to make a body man out of you yet, after fixing your daughters front end and your roll over. Did not like to see Ruby get rolled, but after this, you can truly say you Built, Not Bought your rig. You will have had your hands on every piece of this new rig.

Good call on the fuel pump bracket, those are hard to find and something most don't think to keep when parting a truck. I know when I was in California, they removed the fuel tanks before putting a truck in the yard. If you have a place to store it until it sells, store it upside down. I have wound up selling every fuel tank that I have come across. I had to sit on them for a few days.

I have a Dr. appointment but should be around the house around 11 pm your time if any thing comes up. You are making progress and it will start to get easier soon.
Thanks Terry... Yeah, I want to sell everything that I can off it.

Couple of things...

I am debating as to which tailgate I want to use.... Mine, obviously is in mint condition pretty much... But it's red. Still, I hate the idea of having to fork out money for bodywork to fix a dent On the silver one. I know its not that crazy terrible bad, but it bothers me and that's all that matters. Still, having read to gate would bother me slightly too. Lol. I could always. Silver but that is something I really wouldn't want to do for a while either. The other thing is that my tailgate is fully wired 4 the interior lights which would save me tons of work as I pulled all of my mods wiring yesterday with Johnny. Cleanly pulled and wrapped up and ready to reinstall. CB, .....everything!

Another worried that I have is after getting a message from someone asking me for the window relay module and wiring. He said he needs the 89 one because his will not accept my 87. I'm not sure if he's talking about the rear window or the front window and lock controls. This is a huge difference because I left all that worrying and just separated the o2 sensor wire the harness that goes under my seat in the 89 and installed my entire harness which is totally different by the way. The oxygen sensor has to run through the driver side fender well large grommet or with the air flow meter connector and then one thing was pretty different and required me to disconnect it. Joining together , between the fusible link harness and the main harness was that little encapsulated 2wire joining with the hoop connectors on each wire that slip over a stud. The bolts to the sender on the driver side with the bracket? I had to open that which was somewhat of a pain in the ass, but I got it open without breaking it and we disconnected that and VOILA!, ....the whole thing came through.

I'm just a little worried about that wiring working to the rear. I would rather keep this wiring and tailgate for one reason, it shuts absolutely perfectly, more than anything I've ever tried, and the tailgate motor for the window is so fast and like a hot knife through butter, up and down! No matter what, if I keep this one, I have to remove that damn up and down lock mechanism. That thing is a terrorist to remove Terry! I can pop out the connector pretty well on the door stuff, but on that one it's a little difficult because the kid this has to pop through that color is upside down it's hard to get leverage on it, I remember that. I had to remove that and change out the door lock detection switch and some other stuff at the same..... Add my diode and so forth.... I don't want to change out the tailgate because of that. But I also just replaced both weatherstripping pieces and I'm obviously always a little worried about breaking them. This should come off okay because they are so new but man did I cut up my hands getting those in and getting the other ones out. Still, as part of keeping the window nice and fresh and unscratched in the other tailgate, I would have to put in the new weather stripping. It really does keep the window off of that scratchy retaining connector that holds the main plug to the key and reverse light assembly things. If it wasn't for that dent I wouldn't even think twice because the diode is simple. I think the hiccup in my rear window once in awhile is definitely between the switches and my wiring and rear window relay module though. So since I would be keeping, hopefully, the rear harness untouched on the 89, it should solve that problem. Unless my problem is in the main harness that feeds the rear harness? I will be pulling the red tail gate anyhow , which will increasingly reduce the weight of the red body, so I guess I could decide at any point. Maybe I could pull that tailgate over to the silver body once I have it all powered up with the harness connected and see if operates smoothly and more quickly then it did in my own rear wiring.

I still have to pull the throttle linkage from Ruby and bring it over. And it looks as though speedometer cable should work perfectly. I already plugged in my cluster and it's exactly the same connector and hopefully the same length, because you saw that routing plate on the floor that the e-brake and speedometer cable goes through.. I also have to get my clutch stuff over so I have to do a little question and answer on that one as well.

Oh yeah, the brake pedal. Definitely can't use that one as it's twice as wide. Lol.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-26-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Hey guys, I'm going to do a question for the group video. I will keep it really short just clicking pause in between and hopefully I can get some answers here. I doubt it as it's kind of a unique swap. But I figure someone might have some answers.

First, I will just ask....

1. Can I leave the rear wiring harness alone on the 89? I'm going to good all up today hopefully and see if I can get everything working including the brake lights and so forth. It should be the same connectors even though I have an automatic brake pedal. I haven't disconnected the brake pedal or brake lines so I am hoping that the brake depression switched ground release button up under the desk will activate it.

2. Should I keep a little piece of Ruby and swap over the red tail gate in pain it later?

* I have a lot more questions, and hopefully I can get them resolved with some help on here and from good people like Albert/yotaworx, who will be hopefully coming by Saturday. Grego seems to be pretty apt with making things work as well... & I should see him on Friday. Jonny might be back Saturday as well. If possible, I may be swapping the bodies on Saturday. If I can get everything ready before then and make sure everything is disconnected and so forth. Why the heck not? Lol.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:46 PM

I'll c u Saturday chef. The weather channel is saying that the worst storm will be on Saturday but are they ever correct In their forecast???
Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM

Man sorry to hear about Ruby! I was just showing a buddy of mine how clean your truck was on Youtube the other day.
Good job on finding a donor and jumping on the project man, subscribed and good luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:44 PM

Thanks again for the kind words, everyone. Very pleased with the progress so far and its speed. Unfortunately A rain storm coming that just started is not too great at all! Most of it had been done by myself so far, but I have been very grateful to get the help of Jonny & Albert, and not forgetting to mention Terry! THANK YOU, GUYS!

The last few days I've fully removed the 89's harness and pretty much everything else. Also pulled my 87 harness and now have fully installed it and I am in the process of finishing up the firewall for the clutch master cylinder... And also the removal and installation of the pedal assembly mounting bracket from my 87 over to the 89. The 87 manual transmission pedal assembly bracket is ALMOST exactly the same except for one thing... There is no where to mount the button for the clutch start cancel that is closest to the floor... They are absolutely not the same in that manner. Someone could weld a tab on there fairly easily but it is not the thickest metal... So just be careful.

I will get pictures tomorrow of something else, but I wanted to mention that I just noticed how when flipping, the triple shifters and transfer case took a ride over and hit the tunnel so hard that it ripped it, heading from front to back for about 2.5 inches! Ó.ò

I will also do a little video tomorrow explaining how I'm going to have a little bit of a challenge with this transmission tunnel. It is actually higher nearest the floorboard and firewall Union, but that is really irrelevant and doesn't help me at all... I will have to cut liberally and then find a way very securely mount the shifter boots, especially if I ever want to get my Bezel back in the way that I had it.... I want to fully install the harness and such, and then I will install all of my aftermarket mods. I still have a little bit of work to do in the engine bay of the 87, including pulling the odd In N Out steering hardline that comes out of the core support and does a horseshoe around 10 inches towards the passenger side and then heads back through the core support. Grrr. It's actually fairly simple to deal with, and the cutout is also on the 89. So apparently, they were still doing that for the 89- 22 re.

My lines for the AC will run exactly the same to the condenser, dryer and evap on the donor rig. Unfortunately, I would lose all of my R12........ .......... Working on that as we speak. .....

For meow, new videos. They are all 15 second videos. I just quickly update Instagram throughout the day they only allow 15 second videos.... Still, you will get an idea of what's going on....

Another day lite look it's the Silverback, for the sake of you're out city... I really like these wheels on that paint. I'm sure the black will actually look good with silver... And I will leave those for now, but I'm just curious what you all think...

Name:  IMG_20140226_172326.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  681.1 KB

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 02-26-2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am biased to the chrome wheels, just not a big fan of the black out trim. Normally when I see a runner with the top black and the body color is some other color then black, I think of a pickup with a camper shell. I actually like the black top and chrome wheels on Silverback.

Half will like chrome or black and the other half wont. That is where you just go with your insticts. That is where I wish I could use paint or some other program for a better idea.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Another day lite look it's the Silverback, for the sake of you're out city... I really like these wheels on that paint. I'm sure the black will actually look good with silver... And I will leave those for now, but I'm just curious what you all think...

What wheels are those? They look really good!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 AM

Hi Mark, Just thought I would add my two cents worth to the discussion about what to do aesthetically to Suzy-Q; Do what you like! In past threads you said you really like the Outlaw II wheels, go with them and keep the black wheels or SR5 wheels for spare/different tire combination or sell them. If you like all the time and effort put into Ruby's Tailgate, use it (you could have it sprayed Silver while you work on the body swap details, shouldn't be very expensive). Basically do the things you want the way you want them. As with all things in life some people will love it and some won't. At the end of the day you are the one that needs to be satisfied with what you have built. Don't worry what others think about the cosmetics as you have a good eye for things and are very adept at making things look great. Suzy-Q will look awesome when you are done if you just go with your heart and what's in your head!

Morgan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chefyota4x4's Ruby R3dRuM to "Suzy-Q the Silverback" Body Swap Thread!