86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Chefyota4x4's Ruby R3dRuM to "Suzy-Q the Silverback" Body Swap Thread!

Old 03-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello frm 808...A friend of mine actually wound up using that dirty one that was posted in the picture. I let it soak in Simple Green and pressure washed it and flushed it with CLR and it gets hot.

Hello Mark...Mistys runner has the rear heater option and I always wanted to put a more useable console in mine, but with the rear heater option, I have decided to install the rear option in mine now. It is so much warmer in her runner and I use the rear heater a lot more then I do the front one. The heat doesn't blow into your face. Gets the whole truck warm. It would not be hard to install.

I got some free time if you want to call. We are getting freezing rain. It is cold outside. Accidents everywhere. Some people seem to think you can drive as fast on ice as dry pavement here.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-01-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Was thinking, does the silver body have a sunroof?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hello frm 808...A friend of mine actually wound up using that dirty one that was posted in the picture. I let it soak in Simple Green and pressure washed it and flushed it with CLR and it gets hot.

Hello Mark...Mistys runner has the rear heater option and I always wanted to put a more useable console in mine, but with the rear heater option, I have decided to install the rear option in mine now. It is so much warmer in her runner and I use the rear heater a lot more then I do the front one. The heat doesn't blow into your face. Gets the whole truck warm. It would not be hard to install.

I got some free time if you want to call. We are getting freezing rain. It is cold outside. Accidents everywhere. Some people seem to think you can drive as fast on ice as dry pavement here.
I agree on the rear heater. My 85 has it, my old 87 didn't. I'm really glad I have it for cool weather road trips, the front heater dries out my eyes but the rear heater keeps the whole cab nice and comfortable.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap Chef! Sorry to hear about the roll but I seriously admire how fast you got your "mise en place" together for the swap! Welcome to the grey 4Runner club! I'll be following this thread for sure..
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey guys..... Down at AAA right now transferring title. ...Then it is the wait for this coming Saturday!

Ok, so I will not be giving up my double decker console, especially for a rear heater that I don't need. Just want some quicker and more effective heat when I need it. Don't want the added "something else to go wrong" variable.... But I TOTALLY understand the practical application for that for those who often use the heater.

Now, I want to open my evap box as well, as my AC buddy told me that those should be changed at this interval or at least cleaned out as they are the first in the path of flow and often get clogged up....... ????????

I also need to know if anyone knows of a quality brand of heater core.

Also might need a radiator. I'm going to have it pressure tested and likely repaired if its a tenement pinhole, but I found that infamous green and blue streak running from the top down to the edge to the bottom. I can't see it being from anything but a pinhole, but it did make it all the way home with no issues from KOH 2014, and hadn't lost any noticeable fluid... (I will get a pic as soon as I get home to pick up the radiator).

Body Mounts.....?????? Not sure whether I should do polyurethane or rubber....But poly is definitely able to grab at local stores.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

If you go with poly make sure you lube them with some anti seize or that liquid wrench white lithium grease.

Do you think the fluid you see could be from the brake reservoir or something else? I do remember some red fluid dripping a little from somewhere. I bet if it was the radiator you would know right away when you drove it home.

Good idea to get it checked though.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

The only thing I know is cleaning the evap, never really tried to take it apart or any other service. Will be watching for more information on that.

Not sure about radiator or which bushings is best. I will be getting bushings at a later time myself. Complete kits are not to bad in price.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Zpd426
If you go with poly make sure you lube them with some anti seize or that liquid wrench white lithium grease.

Do you think the fluid you see could be from the brake reservoir or something else? I do remember some red fluid dripping a little from somewhere. I bet if it was the radiator you would know right away when you drove it home.

Good idea to get it checked though.
Thanks for the tip on the poly bushings...

I don't think it was steering fluid. Its leaking out of the reservoir from the top, down the fins, on the very edge... its a lifetime guarantee as long as I bring it in, so I will likely let them test it and then just replace it. Unfortunately it's a bit of a drive but that's okay, especially after all I'm going through now... 30 minute drive each way is not that big of a deal. But, I would definitely think it would have overheated or lost some fluid on a three and a half hour drive. The leak or whatever it is looks to be green and blue ish, and I did see a little fluid at the very bottom as though it ran along the bottom after dripping down the passenger side and wind up dropping off at the bottom part where the pipe is.

I will answer on the radiator when I get it tested.....

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The only thing I know is cleaning the evap, never really tried to take it apart or any other service. Will be watching for more information on that.

Not sure about radiator or which bushings is best. I will be getting bushings at a later time myself. Complete kits are not to bad in price.
I'm probably not going to replace the evaporator. My air conditioning guy said that he can 99 percent of the time clean those out. He said the evap box gets pretty built up with calcification and mildew. And that it's a good idea to deal with it now..... I guess we'll see.

As I said to Zack, I will just have to see what I find with the pressure test, regarding the radiator.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Okay guys.... I can't seem to get the dimensions that I am seeing on the heater core... They are telling me that it is eight and a half tall, six and a half wide and something like 2 inches deep... It is definitely not more than an inch and a quarter deep. It's also no more than 6 inches wide. I had the place that can get the OE M ones order both of the available ones so that I can compare. I really didn't want to waste a bunch of freaking time on this, but I might as well do it now that I have it out...

So over the last couple days, I fought with getting stuff done during the brakes off a pretty radical storm...

Did a couple compilation videos....

Did a bunch of the insulation...

There's a little bit of a check to see if I'll be able to rub this out on the hood....

Heater core is out of the 89... Going to pull the 87's as well tomorrow...

Got the stickers started on transferring over to the new one...

Name:  IMG_20140302_225708.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  424.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20140303_111651.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  1.34 MB

Got a haircut today...

Name:  IMG_20140303_132958.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  505.3 KB

Now I have both the front and center portion of the carpet fully cleaned immaculateď....

Name:  IMG_20140303_000620.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  1.61 MB

Went to AAA, got the silver one registered non-op and was out of there in 30 minutes... So much more comfortable than the stupid DMV...

Name:  IMG_20140303_121204.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  1.38 MB

Lastly, I am a little bit overwhelmed, & I can always tell when I look at things like this and my brain just shut down! First of all, they offer no freaking diagrams to tell me which hoses a or b... Etcetera. Anyone have an idea? Because I want to order both hoses new for the heater core inlet & outlet....... HELPPPPPPPPP?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 PM

Hi Mark, Here is what I ordered from O'Reilly last year for my 87'. These are Gates molded heater hoses with O'Reilly part numbers: Bypass Hose #18400, Valve to pipe #18789, Heater to valve #18792, Heater to pipe #18848. Hope this helps, Morgan
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by GrandPa's Runner
Hi Mark, Here is what I ordered from O'Reilly last year for my 87'. These are Gates molded heater hoses with O'Reilly part numbers: Bypass Hose #18400, Valve to pipe #18789, Heater to valve #18792, Heater to pipe #18848. Hope this helps, Morgan
Freaking awesome! Thanks man!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 AM

Name:  IMG_20140304_081518.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  225.9 KB
Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Ok, well, ... Couple of posts to read to catch up on the last page..... Very short and to the point but plenty of info...

There's a good angle and light on the mid-section carpet that I cleaned. I will have pictures of the rearmost one, which is the final one, tomorrow... I'm so freaking impressed how clean these came out!.....

Name:  IMG_20140304_134453.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.45 MB

Here is why I am questioning if something happened to the radiator. I can't imagine this is caused bye radiator fluid from the reservoir or any other fluid... It seems to be coming from the cap and running down the rods and side... I want upon my driver side, which is where the overflow is. So I don't think it would make sense that that was the culprit.....

Name:  20140304_134018.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  3.58 MB

Name:  20140304_134009.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  3.20 MB

Name:  20140304_133958.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  3.62 MB

Next, I ordered my body mount bushing kit... What a hell of a time I had fun in this where it would get to me on time. Thanks to summit for using my credit that I had forgotten about to pay the extra $5 for two day air shipping.....

Name:  Screenshot_2014-03-04-13-02-00.png
Views: 73
Size:  413.5 KB

Edit; To-Do....

1. Remove AC and break loose brake lines from both rigs....

2. Can't get the right heater core ..... Got some radiator shop soak and flush and was told, "DO EXACTLY what I tell ya! ", with the diff. Lol(OEM IS NEARLY 250$ Ó.Ò )

3. PULL FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY FROM SILVERBACK!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-04-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Mark- with the length of road trip you go on and how warm California is I would recycle that radiator and just replace it. Piece of mind IMO. .
Old 03-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
^^^indeed.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Nice hair cut! Let me know how the body mounts work.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 PM

holy cow! this is new news too me! hope your okay mark! sorry to hear rudy flopped, im sure the new one will be 10x better! that's normally how it goes!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Mark- with the length of road trip you go on and how warm California is I would recycle that radiator and just replace it. Piece of mind IMO. .
Originally Posted by BigBluePile
^^^indeed.
X2 ..... :

Yeah, it's a pretty honorable place and I'm hoping that they will swap it out for me.

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Nice hair cut! Let me know how the body mounts work.
Hahaha, you like it? And I will, they will be here Thursday.

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
holy cow! this is new news too me! hope your okay mark! sorry to hear rudy flopped, im sure the new one will be 10x better! that's normally how it goes!
Well thanks buddy! I'm fine, only a tiny bit of bitter within the sweet factor... Not hurt at all... tiny scratch on the elbow. Lil sore for a couple of days. I'm not sure about being 10 times better... But some of the wiring will definitely be cleaner and my goal is just to make it just like Ruby, with a couple of changes.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:45 AM

Yesterday.....

I might have already posted this but here is the midsection of carpet that I fully and thoroughly cleaned. I'm honestly totally shocked and so glad how in this came out! If it was going to remain a garage queen as it was a few years ago, I would probably eventually get new carpet. But honestly, I didn't expect it to come out this clean... This factory carpet has lasted twenty seven years and is still in full integrity conditions!...

Name:  IMG_20140304_134453.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  1.45 MB

Here is another example of how things by chain reaction of damage most likely irreparable in the end. This is the evaporator box where it joins with the blower motor...

Name:  IMG_20140304_183615.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  730.7 KB

More action from yesterday after having no luck finding the proper size heater core in my area. & I mean no luck! I would have to go to a radiator supply place, and after talking to my buddy who does this kind of stuff, he said those things I should never break. Toyota the damn well and as long as it wasn't damaged in the accident, it should be encapsulated inside the box and be in perfect shape. He gave me some stuff to use as a flush after we get it all back together and said to do exactly what he freaking says! Lol. I will, and will report back to you as to whether it gets any hotter. Don't get me wrong, it gets hot after a little while to where I can turn it down to level 2 or something... But it's just not quite enough for the times in the snow or 20 degree weather driving around for hours.... Anyway, little quick write up of what I did yesterday which was only a tiny portion. I did a lot of running around wasting time looking for the core and matching it for trying to match it Agence ones that people ordered for me. Even a Denso one was way too deep. Height was the only thing that was right and the hoses were completely wrong on the routing. I have no idea what the hell is going on but I cannot seem to find one at the general parts stores even ones that order Denso for me.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-05-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had to junk out a radiator that did the exact same thing that you showed. Not sure what caused it to do that. I see I missed your call. I will be around till Friday then have to go to St. Louis if you want to call. I will be checking in on Saturday to see your progress.

From the beginning of Ruby till now, not much you haven't left to do to a 4Runner. Even as bad as the roll over was, you have learned a lot about these trucks. I think in some ways you will like this runner better then the last when done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chefyota4x4's Ruby R3dRuM to "Suzy-Q the Silverback" Body Swap Thread!