86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

c0ugar69's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its been another crazy week, I was driving some kids home and the gas gauge was on E and the runner started kickin and bucking and died right in front of there house.
So i figured out of gas, I havent had it long so dont know if the gauge is acurate. get some fuel and start it up. it starts but is still running crappy. WTF now what. I have spent enough on this truck already. did some research on my favorite place..Yotatech even my kid says dang dad you sure are on that web site alot... so i found some info pointing to the egr valve. well i took it off and it was stuck open from all the carbon in there. I cleaned it out and it closes better but still leaking by so i did another trick from here and cut a soda can and blocked it at the intake, idle is smooth as can be, should also improve my gas milage as i was getting pretty crappy milage before. so before smog in a couple of years i will need a new egr and a cat but not worried about it for now. next i need to fix a leak on the a/c compressor. does anyone know if the a/c is supposed to kick off during idle or what, I cant find a idle up for the a/c, and what is the adjustable valve for that has vacumm to the power steering?? anyways i just need to get some tires and that will be it for now.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
The A/C should actually cause the idle to kick up when you are stopped. Heres a pic from 4crawler of the idle up adjustment screw
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM

thats what I thought was the idle up but it doesnt seem to be working i guess, maybe the little valve isnt working. i cant find mention of the idleup in the fsm. I will check it out later, my dang compressor that i got for 10bucks is leaking from the front, I can push down a little on the clutch plate and hear it come out pretty good.. sucks bad cause a new compressor is big bucks and i spent my money on some treadwrights which will be here on thurdays, will get pics when i get them on. also I am cleaning up the back and putting a small sub woofer in for a little fuller sound, will be adding those pics soon also, just dont have the time right now.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:51 PM

sounds like a 270 a/c is in the mix.... lol two windows down 70 mph... thats my a/c and i have come to live with it ...
Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 PM

guess what showed up today!!!!

cant wait to get these bad boys on saturday. my brother has a tire machine and balancer at his house so will be paying him a visit!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 08:58 PM

another thing, I mentioned that i was working in the rear of the runner so here are the pics.

had to take off the side panels and the roll bar

Here is a pic after i sprayed paint remover on the floor in the rear to try to get that carpet glue off.

Next i cut out side panels from 3/8 particle board.

One side done with the sub cut out and a vent hole. I am putting a sub that i had for my hometheater system a long time ago, i took it out and it is 4ohms so it should be good with the car amp that i ordered to power just the sub.

Here is a picture of the sub that I am using, it sounded good in the house, hopefully it will sound good in the runner. next I have to seal off the sub, kinda make it a box so i put a divider in and foamed it to seal it off.

next I bedlinered the floor, then I put the roll bar back in and the tie downs that were in. that roll bar took a while to figure out how to get it out, putting it in wasnt so bad.

there are a couple of pictures of the finished panels with the speakers. I installed some 5x7 speakers for the rear. I should recieve my amp next week so i can get that installed.it will be mounting on the panel also.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:38 PM

Wooo Hooo I got my tires mounted today and what a difference it makes in the looks, went and had it aligned today too. drives smooth. I think that the steering box is loose it has play in the output shaft. Is there a way to tighten that up??

Old 05-08-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
SUBCRIBED AS WELL! Man, that was VERY entertaining, Cougar! I really admire all the work you've done, and I'm in the process of getting a motor done, right now, so some of your pics are going to help me with the couple parts I had to rip off real quick when my neighbor came over with the hoist! lol.

How's the clutch working out? Figure that out? Also, I LIKE THOSE TIRES! Never seen them before, ......Old Mich's, eh? What made you decide against the BFG's? Just curious, not biased. haha.

Really great thread, Cougar, ....nice to meet you, and welcome to YotaTech! It's a GREAT site, eh?

Chef
Old 05-09-2010, 06:17 AM

Weel actually the tires are Treadwight retreads and they are made with the mitch carcass. I think they use bfg abd goodyear carcasses also but that is what they sent me. I think that you can specify bfg if you want those sidewalls. as far a the clutch it is still grabbing way at the top. it has a new clutch kit, slave cylinder and a master cylinder so I am thinking its the flywheel. I may just get a new flywheel and drop the tranny to put it in and try it.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This truck is an inspiration to me, great work!!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:08 AM

thanks, I figured out the steering problem I think. I tightened the freeplay adjustment and it feels tighter. I will let you know after I take it for a drive today to see how it feels.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Right on, Cougar. Hope that steering-fix works. On the clutch, did you say you had the flywheel turned when you did the rebuild? I can't remember, ...and I'm running out the door. Maybe you can just have it resurfaced, instead of buying a new one?

Fresno, eh? I'm a few hours south of ya...maybe I'll see you up in the North American Fork when I camp up there, lol.

Great project, Cougar, keep it up!
Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I think he got a new one...

I wouldn't recommend getting your flywheel resurfaced, just get a new one for $60 like cougar was saying
Old 05-09-2010, 12:57 PM

I hear ya, Pismo.....that is, unless you get it from LCE or something, hahahaha.

Anyway, I really like the tires look, and it seems REALLY deep on the tread...Likey

Anxiously awaiting to see what you do next, Cougar! BTW; Are you going to carpet the bed to go with the walls? LOVE that idea on the speakers,...only thing is, I find that without SERIOUS boom, I can't hear anything past the back-seat area too well....Guess I need an amp as well, eh? lol. You got me thinking, though...I'ma have to do something like that on the rear panels!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Amazing idea with the sidepanels Cougar... I used sheetmetal.. which its long gone with the old trashed bed of mine, but everything u do is clean and only increasing the value of this truck... but u better hold on too it, looks like ur getting to the point of too much soul into it and u'd be like us not urself if u parted ways lol. but ya i like the retreads, ive been considering some my dick cepeks are gettin kinda old
Old 05-09-2010, 08:39 PM

first off I did resurface the flywheel at athe shop where my dad used to work.(Hes retired since then). I think that is the cause of my clutch grabbing at the top. maybe the step was to small. it was about 20 thousands. I think i will just buy a new flywheel and maybe a MC clutch kit so I dont have to worry about it again for a while.

I dont plan to carpet the rear floor. I coated it with bed liner that I had and it already had a rubber mat that i put back on the floor. I love the looks or the retreads and the ride is smooth, just a little hum when driving. I havent had off road tires before but I hear that is to be normal. Even with the new speakers I have to turn it up too hear it becasue of the road noise, but it is much better. not sure what i will do next, I may get an alarm for it and new door locks. I like it so far and dont have plans on getting rid of it.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 PM

Like I said, 'So far, so good!' Can't wait to see what you do next...'taking notes', lol.

Take care, Cougar,

Mark
Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM

badass dude, i want a 1st gen to play with now, damn i love 4runners
Old 05-15-2010, 02:14 PM

4runner = epidemy of toyota... especially 1st gens
Old 05-15-2010, 04:19 PM

How's it going, Cougar? Any new pics or progress report?

Quick Reply: c0ugar69's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread