86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BowhunterBen_93_pickup

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BowhunterBen_93_pickup

I'm doing everything on my iPhone we will see how it goes.

Somebody let me know if the pictures are too big. Hard to tell on my phone.

Anyways, I pulled the motor due to a bad head gasket. Bought a new long block and I am in the process of cleaning and piecing it all together again. I have a 85 solid axle and a All Pro sas kit so I am hoping to do that before re-installing the engine. I just need to get room in my father in laws shop to start that. I still need a FJ 80 high pinion third member so let me know if you have one for sale.

I painted my intake plenum since it was not that nice looking anymore, plus I like black.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
looking forward to see how this progresses.
I love the look of a 3rd Gen X-cab with an ARB
Old 04-13-2012, 08:32 PM

It's actually a Calmini bumper for a Nissan Xterra. With a few mods. I can't take the credit for the mods either, I bought it from a guy who had it on a 4runner.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 PM

I didn't get much done today since my kids were keeping me busy but I washed up some more parts.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Takes longer to clean and swap over parts from each motor than it does to pull and install lol. Great start very clean truck for sure. Other than motor any plans for it ?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM

I'm really hoping to do the sas before dropping in the new motor. I think the added access would be a good thing. I'm going to hopefully start preping my 85 axle soon. I'm just needing that third member and I'm out of money.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 PM

I rushed this build thread at first because I wanted to figure out how to post pictures and text. So, I'll give you guys a bit more history of this project.
I am fairly new to this whole thing but I got to go wheeling with a friend and his buddies about 4 years ago. I found an '85 axle on craigslist and bought that hoping to do an axle swap. I also picked up a lockright locker for the rear from a guy on a job site I was on. Then that summer I blew the head gasket skidding logs in the mountains for firewood. So now I have had to watch my truck sit for 3 years and not be able to do anything with it while I was saving money. This spring I finally was able to start my project and took a road trip with the family to pick up my new long block. I chose to swap in another 3.0 because I'm fairly new to this stuff and I thought it would be the easiest swap and get me wheeling sooner. So, here are my plans...
Finish putting new motor together.
Prep axle for sas.
Do sas (before installing motor).
Install motor.
Re-gear to 4.88 and install locker.
Go wheeling
Build frame sliders.
Paint wheels black.

I would like any input on whether or not I should install the motor before doing the sas. I think the added room would be nice for cutting and welding but is there a down side to doing it without the engine in?
Where I'm at right now... Waiting for new parts to arrive, figuring out what more new parts need to be ordered, saving for the hp fj80 third member and wondering if I'm going to be able to get all these parts back together!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 PM

I forgot to mention I spend every free moment reading posts trying to figure out stuff and learn all I can. I think I have spent probably 50 + hours on this site in the last month, month and a half. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:20 AM

I am still cleaning parts and ordering more new parts. I can start essembling the engine once I get my last package. Should be this week. I also changed my mind and I will probably install the engine before the sas.

I sandblasted and painted my rad.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:31 PM

I finally got a bit of time and installed my oil pump, water pump and thermostat. Not quite the progress I was hoping for at this point but summer is always really busy for me.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice build, its looking good. You asked earlier if there were any drawbacks to doing the SAS with the motor out, I think it was helpful having the extra room and it makes it a lot easier to cut off the brackets and clean up the inside of the frame rails. I'm interested in the fj80 third swap, I'll have to do some research on that, it would be nice to have a high pinion front third!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the input on the sas. I actually ran out of money and still don't have my front third member so I will probably finish the engine and get it so I can start driving it again and then start preping my axle and hopefully find a good deal on a hp third member.
I had a bit more time today so I got my motor mounts, timing tensioner pulley, generator bracket, intake manifold and a few odds and ends installed. I also finally put some weatherstripping on my passenger door.

BEFORE...

AFTER!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Bad news: my heads were recalled so I have to pull it apart and send the heads off.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 PM

That sucks... Better now then later.....Bill
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM

Well hunting season is mostly over so I'm back to work on my engine. I got the heads, cams, intake manifold and various other things on my engine.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 AM

Here's today's progress.

The last picture is the oil pan bolt that got stuck part of the way in and twisted off. The the e-z out thing broke off in it too so I'm totally screwed.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
That sucks about the bolt. i guess try to drill it out carefully. nice looking truck, how do you like the dayton tinberline MT's? and what size are those? do any good bow hunting this year??
Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 PM

Yeah it really sucks. I drilled small holes on the sides of the E-Z out tip that was broke off and was able to free it up. But then I drilled a new hole and it walked off center just enough that my E-Z out bit is grabbing the block metel on one side so I wasn't able to free the stuck bolt. I think I'm going to drill and tap it to a bigger size. I just don't have a lot of metal to work with and the taps usually taper kind of gradually. The whole deal is not liking me.
I love the Timberlines, they worked super good for me the couple times I got to go wheeling. Plus the rubber lasts forever. These tires have had awesome tread for 8 years++. They came on the truck when I got it. They are 33/12.50/15.
Yeah, I harvested a couple great bucks. No elk or bears though.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 PM

Nice truck, Nice bucks too
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM

Nice truck. It always takes more time, and usually more money, then originally estimated. Good luck with the build.