86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back to the build...... Like I mentioned earlyer the Bracket kit came off a wrecked T-100 so some parts were bent. The spindle spacer on one side was not salvagable so it had to be replaced. The other brackets were salvagable with some manipulation in the vice. I must not have gotten things completely straightened because the alignment barley got a green light. Take a look at the spec print out. Its under spec but the cams are maxed out in three of the four adjustment points. I drove it all week on the street and it tracked straight and drove nice. If the drop bracket kit wasn't damaged in the accident I think the alignment would have come out much better.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2010, 08:21 AM

The past weekend it was raining so I took of the bald 35's and put on a spare set of 33's so as to be safe on the road.
Attached Thumbnails BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-copy-33s-003c.jpg  

Last edited by BlazeN8; 10-25-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Took the 4 Runner to the local canyon and got into some dirt. Missing the front diff, driveshaft, and CVs so I was handicapped on where I could go. Non-the-less it was fun and worked well in pre-runner mode. I found a section to get the suspension to flex. Got the front fully drooped and compressed but the rear wouldn't come down on the bumpstops. The shocks might be about an inch too long? Need to further investigate.
Attached Thumbnails BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-hj_1.jpg   BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-hj_2.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
looks good.

So when do we all get to see some Video or your LT kit in action? I know I would like to get to see some highspeed and crawling action video.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazeN8
Took the 4 Runner to the local canyon and got into some dirt. Missing the front diff, driveshaft, and CVs so I was handicapped on where I could go. Non-the-less it was fun and worked well in pre-runner mode. I found a section to get the suspension to flex. Got the front fully drooped and compressed but the rear wouldn't come down on the bumpstops. The shocks might be about an inch too long? Need to further investigate.
could you please let me know what spring rate you are running on your coil overs. Are you happy with your current rate or would you try something diffrent if doing it again?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 PM

I am running a "coil-over assist" in this set up. I am using a stock torsion bar with almost no pre-load. The coil over shock also has a very light pre-load to a 250lb coil spring. If you had a 100% coil over conversion you would want about 600lb coil springs; but with a much greater pre-load. Also a 100% coil over conversion requires much more re-inforcing on the shock hoops. It is best to cage the engine compartment or at least incorporate a strut brace of some sort.

The coil over assist allows a lighter, less engineered shock hoop. It allows the loads of the suspension to be divided between two systems. Another advantage is there is a dual spring rate and multimple adjustment points. Think of it this way, neither the torsion bar assemby or the coil over assembly is working very hard, and a such neither is in overload.
Attached Thumbnails BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_2099_c.jpg  
Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 AM

I am running a "coil-over assist" in this set up. I am using a stock torsion bar with almost no pre-load. The coil over shock also has a very light pre-load to a 250lb coil spring. If you had a 100% coil over conversion you would want about 600lb coil springs; but with a much greater pre-load. Also a 100% coil over conversion requires much more re-enforcing on the shock hoops. It is best to cage the engine compartment or at least incorporate a strut brace of some sort.

The coil over assist allows a lighter, less engineered shock hoop. It allows the loads of the suspension to be divided between two systems. Another advantage is there is a dual spring rate and multiple adjustment points. Think of it this way, neither the torsion bar assembly or the coil over assembly is working very hard, and a such neither is in overload.

I am working on a similar set up my self. I was able to squeeze a coil over in the stock location. i used one 16 inch 200 # ebach spring with my sway away torsion bars set with a very light pre load. Also my shock is out by the tire so they might have some more mechanical advantage. They are at an angel so some of the mechanical advantage will be lost. My coil over are a Kyb conversion but I picked them up for free and i have a ton of 2.5 springs from my inability to get the spring rate right in the first 10 tries .

Last edited by ccraviotto; 10-27-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ccraviotto
I am working on a similar set up my self. I was able to squeeze a coil over in the stock location. i used one 16 inch 200 # ebach spring with my sway away torsion bars set with a very light pre load. Also my shock is out by the tire so they might have some more mechanical advantage. They are at an angel so some of the mechanical advantage will be lost. My coil over are a Kyb conversion but I picked them up for free and i have a ton of 2.5 springs from my inability to get the spring rate right in the first 10 tries .
sorry phone pic at night.
Attached Thumbnails BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-coil-over.jpg   BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-coilover-2.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:28 PM

I have some excess coil springs in my inventory also! Trail and error is the price we pay for perfection. Speaking of which I have a few sets of rim and tire combinations now too! I installed some 315/75/16 BFG Muds on a set of Steel Rock Crawler wheels. The wheels are 16x8 with a 4.250" Backspace. I think the proportions are just right. Nothing rubs throughout the entire range, even the stock mud flaps work! The 8" width and deep backspace really keep the track width managable. The rear has 3" wheel adaptors. Still can't believe this is a 35" tire!
Attached Thumbnails BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_2171_c.jpg   BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_2145_c.jpg   BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-img_2168_c.jpg  
Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-HkHp6VGI4

Last edited by ccraviotto; 11-16-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imHyOfxlauQ

this is what can be accomplished using longer a arms and factory toyota hardware. ex.balljoints tire rod ends lengthend stock cv axle diff moved to the center.This is very simmiler to blazeland but more modified with a lot of time put into tweeking for more travel.

Last edited by ccraviotto; 11-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5DuPTdbhJc

Last edited by ccraviotto; 11-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 AM

thanks for the videos ccravoitto. I was good to finally see the blaze land kit do its thing.

looks like you are dreaming of a locker to help that LT do its thing.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Yeah, thanks for the videos! Not bad for open diffs. When you get your lockers installed, post some more and make it look too easy!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ccrav- I don't want to over-hijack this, but is there any chance of you posting a thread and showing your entire front end build? You have some amazing flex!

Obviously, if there are components that you are prepping for market, then disregard, but otherwise I am very interested, and I am sure others would be as well.

MC
Old 10-31-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is some incredible flex going on in here!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 PM

wow that flex is amazing! im convinced!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Yeah, thanks for the videos! Not bad for open diffs. When you get your lockers installed, post some more and make it look too easy!
You welcome. Thank you nate for opening my eyes to a new world in toyota stuff. If it wasent for your great starter kit I probally would have never relized how much fun IFS can be.In my opinion for a all around driver wheeler its the best kit on the market. I put on many of miles with no problems. Thats fun?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
ccrav- I don't want to over-hijack this, but is there any chance of you posting a thread and showing your entire front end build? You have some amazing flex!

Obviously, if there are components that you are prepping for market, then disregard, but otherwise I am very interested, and I am sure others would be as well.

MC
If I could figure out how to start a thread I would.can some one help?. Just so you have an idea how deep those holes are this is my bodys jeep on 33 locked front and rear, stuck same place next day.it did rain all night.
Attached Thumbnails BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread-film-day-012.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ccraviotto
If I could figure out how to start a thread I would.can some one help?. Just so you have an idea how deep those holes are this is my bodys jeep on 33 locked front and rear, stuck same place next day.it did rain all night.
here is all the info. you need. thank superbleeder.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f122...osting-220205/

Quick Reply: BlazeN8's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread