86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

blakefogt's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ahhh, gotcha I stand corrected on the 'tires'.. my bad, lol.

Far as the Subs, ... no, they would be off set in the very back..... One NEAR the plastic door and one near the roll bar. I would just do a sub box, but there is just simply no room for it when I go camping... and that's usually often(used to be, will be again)... so things need to be 'stashed', ya know? 8's don't need much of a box... so shouldn't be too hard. I thought about building it in the triangle of the roll bar, top of the wheel well... but I use that space too when camping. MIGHT work better though... have to figure it out. I can build those boxes pretty well, have plenty of that carpet, etc., ...so I'll figure it out.
yea I understand the camping.. do you do tents? or air mattress in the bed? I usually quick disconnect to make room... but your way would be super smart. Especially living in LA, if people don't see that box looming in the shadows, hopefully its one less reason to want to break in.
Speaking of LA, I rode my motorcycle to the Long Beach motorcycle swap meet.. and had the hankering for some epic food.. So my dad and I cruised through LA and had pinks. Delicious! It was perfect.. until some scary bulimic chick puked 4 feet from my bike.. made eye contact with me, brushed off her shirt, and continued down the side walk.. It was.. quite a day. oh and we cruised by all those studios.. paramount pictures, nbc, abc, disney movies..
Old 09-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
yall got me haveing 4runner fever with this removeing of the top n such, hey in flordia it gets HOT and HUMID, haveing the ability to just take the top off would be ever so nice..........
then you will be dissapointed to know, i went all summer with the top on :x
Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blakefogt
yea I understand the camping.. do you do tents? or air mattress in the bed? I usually quick disconnect to make room... but your way would be super smart. Especially living in LA, if people don't see that box looming in the shadows, hopefully its one less reason to want to break in.
Speaking of LA, I rode my motorcycle to the Long Beach motorcycle swap meet.. and had the hankering for some epic food.. So my dad and I cruised through LA and had pinks. Delicious! It was perfect.. until some scary bulimic chick puked 4 feet from my bike.. made eye contact with me, brushed off her shirt, and continued down the side walk.. It was.. quite a day. oh and we cruised by all those studios.. paramount pictures, nbc, abc, disney movies..
Right on, Blake! lolol.... Hey, you know what they say, .... "Come to LA on Vacation.......... LEAVE ON PROBATION!" lol.... Or, just stop in to be nearly puked on, hahaha.

Actually, LA is HUGEEEEEEEE, and while those type scenarios can happen in Hollywood, etc.,.......it's NOT common at all where I'm at. NO, I don't mean Palos Verdes... I KNOW, it's "Estate Land" lol... Rather, I'm just speaking of the South Bay in General.... Long Beach has a pretty crazy 'feeling' of it's own(half way TOE UP! lol..., but also VERY full of life and fun in the right spots... not to mention GREAT food! BTW, I'm a regular Private VIP Chef for the Long Beach Grand Prix, Annually lol) But no, travel a lil further North to Torrance Beaches, Redondo Beach, Hermosa and Manhattan Beaches...... You could spend 3 weeks cruising around with me, but still have around 3,000 TOTALLY unique and privately owned restaurants, trippy theaters, great beach spots, live music and MUCH more to see for MONTHS before you even scratched the surface.. Seriously, Blake, it's like a lil world South West of Los Angeles City! But yes, ...... Downtown and Hollywood and LBC and even Ports'o'Call San Pedro are must sees for most people.

Far as Camping... i do both. I bring a 18x10- 3 room tent, that I almost always set up. I also have a 10x10 High End EZ up Gazebo with a fully containing Skeeter Netting around it(got both of the aforementioned tent and gazebo at Good will, brand new, for 25$!).... I also crash in the rig, quite often... I have both auto fill Hillary Rolls(they perfectly cover the floor, two of them) and then I have a 4" Memory Bed OR a Twin Coleman Air bed that I'll use on top of the Hillary's(The Hillary's are those auto inflating 2" thick air/foam rolls that roll up REALLY tight and small for hikes, etc.) I also have skeeter netting on velcro tabs for the back side sliding windows... It's really nice to have cross ventilation withOUT SKEETERS eating you alive! lol.

I'm trying to also come up with something that would allow me to connect my 3 Room tent to the back of the rig. I'll have to sew something up, which is fine,... just need to lay out a plan, ya know?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Right on, Blake! lolol.... Hey, you know what they say, .... "Come to LA on Vacation.......... LEAVE ON PROBATION!" lol.... Or, just stop in to be nearly puked on, hahaha.

Actually, LA is HUGEEEEEEEE, and while those type scenarios can happen in Hollywood, etc.,.......it's NOT common at all where I'm at. NO, I don't mean Palos Verdes... I KNOW, it's "Estate Land" lol... Rather, I'm just speaking of the South Bay in General.... Long Beach has a pretty crazy 'feeling' of it's own(half way TOE UP! lol..., but also VERY full of life and fun in the right spots... not to mention GREAT food! BTW, I'm a regular Private VIP Chef for the Long Beach Grand Prix, Annually lol) But no, travel a lil further North to Torrance Beaches, Redondo Beach, Hermosa and Manhattan Beaches...... You could spend 3 weeks cruising around with me, but still have around 3,000 TOTALLY unique and privately owned restaurants, trippy theaters, great beach spots, live music and MUCH more to see for MONTHS before you even scratched the surface.. Seriously, Blake, it's like a lil world South West of Los Angeles City! But yes, ...... Downtown and Hollywood and LBC and even Ports'o'Call San Pedro are must sees for most people.

Far as Camping... i do both. I bring a 18x10- 3 room tent, that I almost always set up. I also have a 10x10 High End EZ up Gazebo with a fully containing Skeeter Netting around it(got both of the aforementioned tent and gazebo at Good will, brand new, for 25$!).... I also crash in the rig, quite often... I have both auto fill Hillary Rolls(they perfectly cover the floor, two of them) and then I have a 4" Memory Bed OR a Twin Coleman Air bed that I'll use on top of the Hillary's(The Hillary's are those auto inflating 2" thick air/foam rolls that roll up REALLY tight and small for hikes, etc.) I also have skeeter netting on velcro tabs for the back side sliding windows... It's really nice to have cross ventilation withOUT SKEETERS eating you alive! lol.

I'm trying to also come up with something that would allow me to connect my 3 Room tent to the back of the rig. I'll have to sew something up, which is fine,... just need to lay out a plan, ya know?
I wouldn't mind checking out the Grand Prix one of these days.. I also reaaaly want to go camping. I had the impression i would be ok with just an air mattress in the back.. but the tent does seem appealing. Oh, well... I'll figure it out next spring/summer. For now I'm just happy saving up for getting into snowboarding

With Mt Baldy, Mt High, and Big Bear all within an hours drive, and having a more than capable ride, I feel its my patriotic duty to get into it.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakefogt
I wouldn't mind checking out the Grand Prix one of these days.. I also reaaaly want to go camping. I had the impression i would be ok with just an air mattress in the back.. but the tent does seem appealing. Oh, well... I'll figure it out next spring/summer. For now I'm just happy saving up for getting into snowboarding

With Mt Baldy, Mt High, and Big Bear all within an hours drive, and having a more than capable ride, I feel its my patriotic duty to get into it.

heck yea. i know ill be using my most capable ride for the 1st time to go snowboarding even tho my accord has done great in the past with chains lol
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM

nice! Yea the only time my truck got stuck was night time slush/ice :/ Glad to know I'm not the only one stoked for the season.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 AM

air compressor and air down hehe. i love snow wheeling too
Old 10-05-2011, 05:29 PM

bought chef's LCE intake last Saturday..
pretty awesome.

I found out my boot from the throttle body to the intake was leaking..
i bought a new one through toyota and the truck is running flawlessly.
the truck will chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd! I've never done that before.
pics when its not raining.. but you know how it looks :p
Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Enjoy, Blake, ... I'm glad a young DIY'r(and Yotatechie to boot) has got most of the stuff I've sold!

BTW, .... I get it now... you paid 50$ getting it from Dealer(probably a deal, too, through Pops, right? )....

Also, I bet that makes lots of sense on the lack of power and missing, having unmetered air that was getting in with that corroded boot, eh???????? WOOT!

Ttysoon, Blake... Very nice to meet you as well(and yer Pop's... VERY cool guy!)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 AM

Actually I got the deal by being a Lexus technician.. I had my parts guy call up the toyota dealership and hook me up.. Can you believe its list price was like 70 bucks?? wow -_-

either way yea that solves my lean/hot looking spark plugs, weird o2 sensor marking and all.. Just not enough fuel.. I drove it to Disneyland, and it climbed up the 57 like it was nothing.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Great news, Blake! Disneyland, eh? DANGIT, now I have something else stuck in my head that I'd love to do since I haven't in years!!!!!! grrrr! lol.

Have a good'n, Blake, take care.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:50 PM

installed LED's for my dome light and cargo light in the back, what an amazing difference! I can see! Just ordered white leds for my dash, a-piller gauges, and clinometer.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 PM

Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 PM

You have to trust me when i say, its brighter than my cellphone gives it credit for. I wouldn't suggest looking directly at them in person :p
Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM

I'm into the late 80's Toyota pickups, But like your runner, glad you fixed the problem.

enjoy............................
Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM

nice. im thinking of doing some led upgrades as well but will see.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 PM

those two bulbs were like 3 bucks a pop. worth it in my book.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:20 PM

Great Lights! Shoot me a link, homie!

Engine's looking good.... Working out for ya?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:25 PM

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Ffestoon.html

they are 3022-xHP4 in cool white
and my bad, 7 bucks each. still cheap for what you get, in my opinion.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM

They're really that much brighter, eh? Wow, .... yeah, i tried the panel type from Auto-Zone, .... 24 LED's or something... but they were bright.... LIKE A FLASHLIGHT! lol. Not very multi-directional lighting, ya know? Do these have a decent range or light, Blake?

And, ....same bulb for the rear?????? I thought the rear deck lamp was a smaller bulb... no?

Quick Reply: blakefogt's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread