86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

90veezee3's '90 pickup long road to awesome....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90veezee3's '90 pickup long road to awesome....

Here's the story. I bought my first Toyota pickup roughly 2 years ago. I never dealt with such an amazing piece of machine before in my life and I wanted to share the story of her from her beginnings with me to where she is at this very moment.

First off is a pic of when I first got her. Beat to hell and miss firing on 3 different cylinders.

Once I took care of rebuilding the top end, I decided it was time to start puttin money in the fun stuff. First off was a 3" body lift. Not much but cheap at the time and I wanted bigger tires.

Next on the list was suspension and tires. I went with the Rough Country 5" and 35x12.5's.

Next was gears. I went with Yukon 4.88's front and rear. Made a hell of a difference.

After that was done I decided to turn my focus to the beat up body. At the time I couldn't roll down the drivers window cause it wad beat so bad, and the bed wasn't much better at all. I managed to find a good door and some fenders at the local junk yard. Pulled as much of the bed out as possible, sanded and sprayed her with primer and rhino lined the bottom 1/4 all the way around.

After a while the tires I had pretty much drove me off the road so I started shopping for a new set. I came across these beauties on craigslist. 36x12.5 swamper tsl's on 15x10 beadlocks. I knew I had to have em.

And what's the fun in badass tires when you don't play?? Me and my buddy took to the woods.

As time passed I was gettin kinda bored with the primer. So off to get her some fresh paint. After much thinking I decided to go with gun metal grey metallic. This was an all weekend job with more body work and no sleep. I was very pleased with the outcome.

Not 2 weeks after paint I began to realize that the new color really showed how bad the bed was beat. So off to the computer I went to look for a better bed. I came across multiple yota's that had a pretty cool flat bed thing goin on. I did some research and found the AllPro flat bed kit. Liked it but decided to go my own way. So I made te call to the local steel distributor and bought 60' of round tube and some other pieces. We had all the tools, welders, cutters and benders to do this project. So off we went and this is where she is as of last weekend.

Crappy bed gone.

Made a trip to the car wash to clean the frame of leftover mud.

Chopped, boxed and tails all in place.

Bent the tube that goes behind the cab.

Welding that tube in place.

And where I left her last weekend. The tubes goin to the back all in place.

I'm picking up the steel and diamond plate this week so I can hopefully have her finished this weekend.

And that's my journey with the old girl so far. Hope you all enjoyed!!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 PM

As of yesterday. Got the lights all wired in and everything rhino lined. Almost finished with it.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice work!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:09 PM

wow paint turned out really good, and the flat bed is sweet
Old 02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn thats awesome!

How do you like the 36s and ifs?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 PM

Thanks guys! It's been a long ride so far and I don't think I'll ever be done. Always somethin else to do to the old girl haha

Originally Posted by 2DoorRunner
Damn thats awesome!

How do you like the 36s and ifs?
The ifs and 36's do pretty well. I'm definitely keepin an eye out for a straight axel though. On the street it's pretty smooth but off road it's just not up to par. It'll tear through the mud with ease bit when it comes to tight places it's typical ifs, not a whole lot of travel when ya need it.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Got myself a little present this past week
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM

Nice truck great bed