86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

87 Mountain Raider

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The good thing about what they took I think I'm mainly mad about the window because the rain will be here soon. They got my army Issue cold weather jacket and a bag of mine that had all kinds of thing in it. I'm glad my truck was still there. There is a lot of thieves here and a lot of them steal Toyotas there's a bunch posted stolen in my city on craigslist so I've been super parinoid since then. Tonight I left everything open and empty and took my battery out so no one's getting anything.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM

30 sounds like a good price, maybe cheaper at a yard but if this ones ready to go, seems like a good idea to get a window it asap. things like this suck, but dont let real life and its ˟˟˟˟ty assholes discourage you. you got us guys, and ya, you're truck is getting more and more badass. and now its survived some ˟˟˟˟.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the support I appreciate it. the window was from a 91 runner I don't think it'll fit there are tons of Toyota guys here in Portland I'll find a window next day off consists of junk yard crawling for window

Checking afm and hopefully getting my engine issues taken care of
Taking door panel off and cleaning out broken glass and preped for new glass.
I imagine I'll have to take the door off to get all the glass out
Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM

I hope you find one soon. Winters coming! Lol.and ya vacuum all the glass bits out. If they rattle in there too long it'll make for nice spots for rust to eat through.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:36 AM

Found one for 20 bucks from a friend of my brothers so that's a sweet deal Monday can't come soon enough
Old 11-19-2014, 07:39 AM

Window went in smooth on the 3rd attempt. I had to really struggle with it for about 3 hours on various attempts and frustration finnaly got it in and glad too because I almost paid a glass shop 65 bucks to put it in. Take door panel off weather striping off. That the glass from the out side put the back of the glass into the track and slide it down In to the door u can move the rubber that's around the wing window to the side. Once you have the whole window almost all the way down in the door there is a bolt close to the window crank that hold the other side of the window track in place. Remove it and u can bend the track a few millimeters and get the glass in the track. Once it's in pull it up till you can attach the regulator.

Down side to my window replacement it came from a welders shop and has some kind of splash on it ! So I dunno how strong it is but it's water proof!

I got my truck running again I replaced a thermo switch on top of the thermostat housing I thought it was just the wire before turned out it was the whole sensor. Oh and for those of you who don't have a soldering iron the quick splice connectors are awesome.

Also picked up a new canopy for $50 off CL not bad it's white and it's not a high top looks a lot better and not over sized I'll post pics after work.

Things to come now that my engine is in better condition consist of

Zuk mod
Possible 1.5 inch bj spacers
New adjustable shocks all around ( not sure brand opinions are appreciated)
New ammo box center console with diy cup holder!
Extended diff breathers

Things I've been thinking about but not sure if it's really worth it
Digital aftermarket fuel gauge and new tank
Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 AM

Needs a bath but looks good and fits right. Gonna put some weather striping around it

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20141119_084049.png
Old 11-19-2014, 10:25 PM

thats good to hear man. ps i got my 86 back on the road
Old 01-11-2015, 08:46 AM

Well today I traded my pickup for a 4Runner today!! It's a 22re runs good already had Zuk mod
Done new shocks it does have 274k on it but can't tell. Only thing that bugs me is the sound of the exhaust and has no cat but that will change. Also needs a new sunroof looks like someone's head hit it
Old 01-11-2015, 11:51 AM

I would guess that I need to change the title of my build thread to 87 4Runner build

It's sr5 87
power everything
22re 247k on it
31" dean sxt and stock wheels painted black
New shocks all around
2008 jeep tj front springs in back for Zuk mod
Missing some head rests and door mirrors
Radiator probably should be replaced doesn't leak or over heat but there's some jb weld on it so I'm gonna look for a v6 radiator
Breaks should probably be done

The exhaust is so loud and there's no cat so I'm gonna change that before it has to pass deq again
Old 01-12-2015, 08:44 AM

This is it now

87 Mountain Raider-image-3948085296.jpg
Old 01-12-2015, 08:47 AM

I need to get this crap off the body

87 Mountain Raider-image-1430342205.jpg

It was from a rocker panel the panel is still on the other side any ideas? Maybe find a new panel to put on
Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 PM

87 Mountain Raider-image-995844108.jpg

No door mirrors so I need those I think they were powered at one time

87 Mountain Raider-image-165079212.jpg

This thing doesn't leak but I am super sketched out by it so I really need a new one of those too ill check eBay and Craigslist And junk yards any one know a reasonable price on these

87 Mountain Raider-image-19460131.jpg
The interior is pretty clean and everything basically works
Cruise control doesn't work don't know why
Passenger door needs the handle fixed so it unlocks from outside
The head liner on the removable top is sagging and there's a whole corner pealed down I'm guessing some adhesive spray would do good?
The reverse lights don't work they guy said it just needed to be plugged back into the transmission?
Window doesn't roll down with key so I need to look for a write up on theses window motors and relays how it's all wired
And this exhaust is driving me crazy
Any suggestions for exhaust?

87 Mountain Raider-image-1847394486.jpg

87 Mountain Raider-image-1162724202.jpg

87 Mountain Raider-image-3279225933.jpg
Old 01-14-2015, 01:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Where are you located brother? Might be a bit of a pain in the ass and costly to ship that sunroof
Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am hoping I can find a top that you had on your pickup. Great score on the 4Runner. Let me know what you want the title to be and I will see if I can change the name. It may take a little bit as doing a title change is a little more difficult for me to do or I may need to get Admin to change it.

The plug the PO was talking about is on the drivers side, just behind the bell housing. Sometimes the plug gets messed up and you may need to repair the plug.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-14-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 AM

I'm located in Portland Oregon. I bet it would be expensive shipping glass I'm going to the yards on Saturday see if I can find a sunroof
And thanks for the info on the backup lights

I went up to the mountain yesterday to play in the snow found a fun little hill and messed around got the wife to drive it , she had a blast. It was nice to be able to fit the family for sure.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:29 AM

So I can't upload any more pics I guess
buuuut I did install a rear shoulder strap seatbelt from the front of a Isuzu trooper its a little long should of grabbed the rear belt but they work perfectly hardware fits right and the buckle fits perfect into the oem buckle.

I got most of the foam and adhesive off of the body with 3m adhesive remover still a little more to get off before I can find a new one to put on.

I got a new bumper off a 88 2wd pickup its aluminum don't think it's stock it was only 25 bucks so it will do till I can find a bumper I really like.
I also checked out the transmission to see about my reverse lights. Turns out the plug is snapped off the tranny so I need to come up with some kind of reverse light
Old 01-22-2015, 08:06 AM

And the transmission is from a 90-95 4Runner so could be why it got broken maybe the person did want to try and covert it to different wiring
Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM

still need sunroof? i have an 87 parts rig, its white and has a few other bits left on it.
and im in kelowna BC if thats any closer.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:24 AM

Well I went out to do part of the Washington back country discovery route. Let's just say I know now what I need to be able to long trips. I went 20 miles in about 3 hours and I still had over 60 miles to go. I still had plenty of gas but I was loosing sunlight I hit snow at about 3 in the afternoon and that slowed me down along with hacking up fallen trees with a axe and having the wife drive through it. Cut around a couple of forest service gates. The fist one was easy this runner is much shorter then the long bed so it was easy to maneuver. Got past that trail and got to the end to see the gate was closed on that side as well. I'm gonna say I am pretty surprised about how much a stock truck can handle. I maxed out the inclinometer going down a hill to another trail fun but sketchy.
Things I learned from this trip is to
1. have a chainsaw it take to much time to axe down a tree
2. A rear locker is a must going through snow and fishtailing down a ridge covered in snow is a rush having your family in the car while you do it is a panic attack haha.
3. More lighting all around and inside trying to see with old stock headlights in the pitch black can be pretty lame with fallen trees and big ditches. Let alone no reverse lights
4. A new front bumper something like a brush guard with a winch mount trying to move trees with a rope and no tow hook or anything to tie it on to was pretty lame but we got it moved.

Overall I had a lot of fun on the trail just wish I had been more equipped the family got a little scared being out in the middle of nowhere in the dark no cell reception and a sketchy fuel gauge

Time to build now and equip the runner to be able to handle what I wana do.

First thing is reverse lights and figure what's up with the fuel gauge

The gauge will be at full all day as soon as I get about 60 -80 miles the gauge will drop to E but I'll go fill the tank up and only get like 6 gallons. I believe it is the fuel pump going out I don't know if those 2 things are related to each other. reason I feel that the pump is going out is because if you drive for a good hour straight and then turn it off come back out turn it on it low idles like 500 600 Rpms for about 2 minutes and the idle slowly raises to correct speed. Now first thing in the morning when u crank it cold it high idles just as it should and comes down slowly so it's not the CSI

For reverse lights I'm gonna pick up a couple of LEDs for the back and just wore them direct with a switch probably one pointed low maybe Amber lens and then another on top where the wiper would be pointed further out with a different switch .

Quick Reply: 87 Mountain Raider