86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

86 Pickup buildup (In progress)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Pickup buildup (In progress)

Hey all, so this is my first post I thought I'd share my 86 pickup.
Im on the north eastern side of the US, so salt and rust is a serious issue, I found my truck for 700 bucks (2017) an hour away from me running and driving (22r), bone stock with a title and some frame rot. It had a flatbed on it as I'm sure the original rusted out years ago, but it did only have 60k miles on it. I took it home, cut as much rot out as I could and ended up plating the frame from the cab back with 3/16" plate on all four sides. I also cut out the old rear crossmember and replaced it with one I bend out on a brake.
In 2018 I fixed all the other rust issues expect for the fenders as you will see, I polished the aluminum on the bed and gave the bed some paint, and got some decent 33x12.5x15 tires and some (I think) pro comp 15x9 rims

Stock ride height on 33s.

Mid 2018 after having a lot of trouble getting hi centered, I decided after a lot of research to go with some 63" chevy springs, I used the Low Range offroad kit, and some 2500 4wd springs (I think), I took one leaf out for a 3 leaf pack, I made my own adjustable upper shock mount and I designed and had my uncle cut out some lower brackets, and i got a crazy deal on some 12" travel bilstein 5100 series. I had to mount them / \ to have enough up and down travel without hitting the bed (flatbed probelms) so I designed and 3d printed some 3" spacers from nylon (Still holding up to this day) and did a cheap-o-depot 4" front ifs lift with blocks and a diff drop.

63" chevy leafs, 3" spacers on the bed, 4" front ifs lift (blocks and diff drop) and I know I'm missing a lug on the back, its fixed now.
2020: I should mention I'm a college student, I'm going for electrical engineering, this is my last year of school. I mainly work for my dad fabricating, or working on machines in the strip mines in my area (he gets around a lot) so with the stuff going on and my school closing in person I've had a lot more time to work and save (we were considered essential) and now. After breaking some ifs stuff, hating the ride, and wanting to be able too flex in the rock bars (the 63s are amazing). I'm finally ready to sas my rig, I've got a solid front and rear with 4.11 gears (mines got 3.xx in it now) only paid $400 for the set and no chunks in the oil or anything weird.

Front axle as I was starting the rebuild.
It's now sitting rebuilt, and when the shop is less busy I'll get some trusses cut out (I want some cool logos on them) I plan to do just a standard truss then some balljoint gussets. I've also got the stuff to swap to vented rotors and swap my ifs hubs onto it. Once Christmas is over I'll order my hangers and hi-steer (I think I'll go Allpro as their hi-steer is priced well) and I'm just going to make my driveshaft (done so before with my dads help) and make a custom ruf pack using my stock rear spring and a pack I got from an 87 with 80k miles at a junkyard.
Future plans include getting a 4-runner electronic locking diff, new or cutting the rot out of the front fenders, getting a heavier front bumper, and potentially swapping over to a 22-re, although my 22r runs flawlessly after a little tune up.

Doesn't look too bad wet.

How it sits now, needs new fenders and a bumper.
Any advice or comments are appreciated. I'll post updates as I get parts in.