86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1986 4runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 4runner Build

Hello.

I wanted to share the slow build of my 86 4runner with you all. First off I bought this 4 runner new years day 2014. I had been looking for a good condition 4 runner. Hard to find a rust free one in Minnesota, but this 4runner had good potential. Handed over my 1500 dollars and drove it home in the -45 degree weather. That's where the story gets a bit interesting.

to be continued......

So as I said I bought the truck on the 1st of 2014. I decided to do a shake down drive and get the title changed over on the 2nd so I drove it to work. (Had a failing cold start injector switch) Had a hard time to get it to start the day I picked it up -45 and the next morning -25. So I started looking for info and found this site. I drove the truck to the DMV but the line was too long so I decided to wait until the 3rd.

Woke up the morning of the 3rd and my truck was gone..... Stolen the first night I had parked it in my apartment complex.

To be continued .... Ill also ad some Pictures of the day I bought it
Name:  IMG_1374.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  106.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1340.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  105.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1375.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  114.9 KB

The outcome of the theft did not look good, days went by with no indication of who stole it or where it went. After 2 weeks I decided it was gone and the insurance company was about to pay out. Late on a Thursday night 3 weeks after the 4runner was taken I received a call from the police saying that another department in the next town had recovered the car, they said it didn't look like it was damaged.

The next day I went to the impound to see/get my 4runner. When I arrived I was told that I couldn't see it nor take it as it was still being checked for evidence. I was given a number to a detective to call to find out more information. The next day I called the detective and he gave the truck the all clear to be picked up. I then went to the impound lot to get the truck and pay the fees (truck has full coverage on it). When I looked at the truck I noticed the inside was completely full of stuff. When it was taken it had noting inside other than a tool box, the soft top, and a snow brush. Now it was full from the front to back with only the drivers seat open. It had damage to the front valance and the bumpers. The front plate was gone and the door had the window crank and handle on the inside broken off. The gas cover was ripped off and the ignition had been punched. Ohh and it wouldn't start due to the battery being dead. I didn't feel comfortable taking the truck with so much property in it so I talked to the impound lot and they suggested I call the detective. I called the detective the next day and he requested I clean out the stuff and leave it at the impound lot. SO armed with a jump unit, rubber gloves and a box of 55 gallon trash bags I went back to the impound lot. After 3 hours and 6 55 gallon bags of stolen checks, wallets, garage door openers, tools, clothes, and license plates I had the truck clean. I got it to start and was all ready to come get it later that night. I returned that night and started the truck, drove it from the impound lot and to a gas station cause they ran the tank dry. I realized at that time I couldn't open the door on the drivers side from the inside and had to crawl over to the passenger side to get out.

TO be continued....

Last edited by TokyoScorpion; 04-07-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to YT. Curious to hear the rest of your story. Any pics?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Welcome. Im not sure if story is gonna go with you getting stranded and 4runner saving you or you ditching it on side of road cause it broke down and you ending up buying a honda. Haha

Eager for rest of tale
Old 04-06-2014, 06:26 PM

So guessing it was found?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Ya, I would be interested to hear the rest of the story!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:46 AM

New tires and rims added

Right after I got the truck back from being stolen I replaced the rims and tires with 2006 4runner 17 inch rims and 265-65-17 at tires.

I also had my Header break at the Flange so I replaced it with a SS one.

From the damage when the 4runner was stolen I had to remove the valance.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 AM

Welcome to YT! Sorry about your misfortune with it being stolen. My wife is a CSI for the local Dept here in town. There are vehicles stolen all the time and then trashed when given back to the original owner.

I hate to see this happen, especially when they just steal it to beat the crap out of it and use it as a mule to haul around their stolen goods and commit more crimes.

However, I am glad that they recovered it and you are able to have it back once again to work on and enjoy it.

Looks like a pretty solid vehicle, and doesn't look to have alot of rust.

Looking forward to seeing what plans you have for it.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 AM

I installed the Header and the new exhaust only to find out that I do not have the block off plates for the Manifolds I have ordered them from LCE and should have them by the weekend? Now I just need to find the right bolt size and type to bolt them on. If you know this throw it at me
I have added after market power door locks, auto headlights, and a remote starter alarm. I need to replace one of the window cranks (broken by the crook who stole it) and am on the fence of ordering the factory power set up or the manual and adding the aftermarket Power window kit? Anyone got any input on this?

I also have started to remove the trim and such in an attempt to see the rust and metal work I need to get it back to smooth. I know I have to replace the front fenders and haven't decided which type to go with. Either the factory metal fenders or the flared fiberglass ones.

I have ordered a Elocker rear end and should have that some time in the next few weeks. I will be putting the whole axle under the truck which will give me the Elocker and the rear disk.

More to come as I get it done.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM

If I remember correctly, the bolts are m8x1.25 two bolts and one nut. Im not certain on the lengths. I can get those for you later tonight or tomorrow morning. Ill pull them out of an engine I have sitting at the shop.

I have never done an aftermarket kit for a power window setup. I ended up going and getting power window doors and swapping them in. Funny enough, I just went from SR5 Power window doors to SR5 wing window manual doors. The color doesnt match your paint but it you wanted them ill give them to you if you cover the shipping.

On the fenders, I would search the local junkyards and craigslist for them. You could get OEM fenders used in decent shape for about 35$ a side. Some people on craigslist think they are made of gold and want top dollar for them. I havent had good luck with the chinese replacements you can get off of a place Like www.partstrain.com. They dont line up right and are not as strong as the OEM ones.

The Elocker would be nice to have as my locker likes to engage on the pavement when turning sometimes.