84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

My 85 4runner build, project Orange Saphhire

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Anybody who cares" I laughed at that.... I am starting to wonder if anybody cares.....

Looks like quite the project, good work.

I think the problem with this forum is everybody used that crappy ass photobucket and can't see anybody's pictures on older build threads. Kind of a burnout.....
Old 02-10-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by YOUNGIAM
"Anybody who cares" I laughed at that.... I am starting to wonder if anybody cares.....

Looks like quite the project, good work.

I think the problem with this forum is everybody used that crappy ass photobucket and can't see anybody's pictures on older build threads. Kind of a burnout.....
Thanks guys. True, that screwed everyone over. Can you see all my pics now?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM

Pulled it back into the garage after a few months of sitting in the snow. I lowered the rear 2 inches, did the rear inner axle seals, changed the fan resistor. And I tried to fix my SR5 cluster temp gauge. It goes to half as soon as the key is on. Another issue I'm having Is my rear window. I applied power to the motor and it's all good. It will go up with the switch beside the driver, but not down. The key in the tailgate does not function. The key won't turn. Any suggestions would be great because I'm lost. I don't think the switch is bad because it came from my Orange truck and worked in that.
Attached Thumbnails My 85 4runner build, project Orange Saphhire-img_0499.jpg   My 85 4runner build, project Orange Saphhire-img_0501.jpg   My 85 4runner build, project Orange Saphhire-img_0503.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 PM

Spray ithe key switch with a good lube, spray all you key hole while your at it.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Sounds good will do. It sucks when you have such a big to do list, I start getting sidetracked with little things like the window
Old 02-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
If you use Firefox or Google Chrome (maybe others too), you can add an extension to your web browser to fix the photobucket links. I use the "Photobucket Hotlink" extension for Firefox and it seems to bring back the majority of the pictures that photobucket held ransom. It won't fix deleted pictures or broken links due to moving things around or account deactivation, but has really made browsing YotaTech much better.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 PM

Elbow deep in a knuckle rebuild, its pretty nasty. I did it three years ago and honestly didn't think I'd have to deal with it again. I got Low range backing plate eliminators with brake holder, and trail safe wiper seals and inner seals.
The knuckle studs were loose as a goose, diff had a lot of water in it, seals didn't seem to be in bad shape but obviously they are. I'm having a hard time getting the knuckle preload right. I have the pull scale but just trying to get shims correct.
Attached Thumbnails My 85 4runner build, project Orange Saphhire-img_0511.png  
Old 02-13-2018, 05:58 PM

I see you have the boomerang shackles, I am thinking of getting a set for mine. Did you notice any change in the drive ability?

My friend that worked for FabTech is trying to get me to put a track bar on my front end and what he says makes sense , I'm just wondering why nobody else seems to run them on their SASed rigs....
Old 02-14-2018, 03:04 AM

I see you have the boomerang shackles, I am thinking of getting a set for mine. Did you notice any change in the drive ability?

My friend that worked for FabTech is trying to get me to put a track bar on my front end and what he says makes sense , I'm just wondering why nobody else seems to run them on their SASed rigs....
I like the boomerangs they seem to clear the body mount well. I've never driven this on the street really so I can't comment on the driveability. That's why I'm rebuilding so I can drive it on the road.
For my setup (2 inch drop hanger moved forward and RUF springs) it works

As for the track bar I don't think it's necessary in a leaf spring configuration. By design, the leaf springs center your axle and it from moving horizontally. I know some trucks had both like YJ's but a lot of people deleted them. Maybe someone else can way in. I'd say people don't run them because they aren't useful
Old 02-14-2018, 04:05 PM

The way my friend explained it was when you turn the springs want to fan out and change the caster or camber (I can't remember which he said) it made sense to me.

I noticed most of the jeeps I look at up here in Big Bear and down in Johnson Valley do run track bars. I may check that out a Jeep friend gave me one to try out.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:44 PM

New TG pitman arm and tie rod end for the drag link. Buttoned up my knuckle rebuild and did new hubs too, took the face off an IFS locking hub I had around

Old 02-17-2018, 05:59 PM

Had to pull the tranny, in neutral it was spinning the rear driveshaft with some decent force. Tried adjusting the pedal but quickly found out it was deeper than that. This is what i found. Clutch seized to flywheel, had to pry it off with a big pry bar. Gonna order an Aisin kit.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Bad pic but I got the pilot bearing out with the paper truck. Wet paper and perfect size bolt, tapped in.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 PM

Moving along with the rear bumper
Old 02-24-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
About got the goody out of that clutch!!

Bumper looks simple and clean. I like the clearance it offers. Are you gonna do a tire carrier on it?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 AM

Yep I got the sleeve for the hinge for the tire carrier, going to start fitting it up today. Finished product will look like this, I got the side peices bent up too. I'll 45 the corners too

Old 02-24-2018, 05:32 PM

The handle to tighten the swing out
Old 02-24-2018, 06:20 PM

Will you tie the sides to frame?

Curious on overall weight.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 PM

I was thinking about tying in the sides. I dont know how much more strength it will give, but I probably will. It is getting really heavy, with the 36" spare, hi lift and gas can it will be pretty heavy. In its current state I would think it's a little over 100.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:30 PM

Looks good!!!

Quick Reply: My 85 4runner build, project Orange Saphhire