84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)

Hello YotaTech, my name is Connor and I am an aspiring Toyota addict. Well when I was 15 my grandpa gave me his old 1985 Extended Cab 22re Auto. I took drivers Ed but ended up not getting my license until I was 18 so the truck sat in my yard for 3 years (starting it occasionally to keep it loose). I'm the 5th owner and it has had a bit replaced over the last 31 years. In 92 it had the timing chain done, and in 2000 I think is when it got a new head put on it, along with semi regular oil changes and other general maintenance. When it got the new head the mechanic said that the piston rings were starting to go, but my grandpa didn't have time or money at the time so now it's my problem. It runs alright smokes quite a bit but with that aside it runs how I'd expect a 31 year old engine to. Last October I bought what I thought was a complete 22re to rebuild from my buddy for $100. So the same night I bought an engine stand and had the block completely stripped in a couple hours, only problem was that the head was for the wrong year. The block has the undrilled turbo bosses so I know it's an re block but the head had the two round exhaust ports and the wrong combustion chamber so I sold the whole top end in January for $70 dollars to a guy restoring a chinook. Fast forward to this week when I really started to drive this old thing. It had half a tank of 3+ year old has in it so I drove it around the block to burn through the gas and it kept dying whenever it was under load and wouldn't go over 20. So I checked the plugs and they were fouled and the plug wires were bad so I replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor and put some fuel additive in the tank to help clear the crap gas out. Well then I adjusted the idle and now it idles real good but dies when I put it in gear and don't immediately give it gas or when I come to a stoplight. I haven't figured out what is causing this but i have noticed that I have a really soft brake pedal so I checked the brakes and my front discs were metal on metal and rusted to hell so that's my next fix while I figure out my dying issue. If anybody that reads this has any advice thank you in advance. I'll try and get some pictures and maybe a video up tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I don't know the automatics so not much help there. Looking for to seeing another 85 extra cab getting built. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:56 AM

Thanks Terry I've been on here reading this forum for probably 5 or 6 years now and have read your whole thread (Awesome work BTW). Anyways storm came in over the weekend so I couldn't get good pictures or a video but I think it has magically stopped dying if it happens again I'll pull out my phone and shoot a video but today I took pictures. Its got a lot of bed rust but the frame and cab are surprisingly rust free, only cab rust I have found is a pinhole on the passenger side a-pillar under the windshield trim. But I haven't pulled the brakes off yet but tonight I'm getting a new stereo so I'm trying to solve the wiring. I've figured out the speaker wire and 12+, I have what seems to be 2 grounds connected together and a dark green wire that is capped. Pictures should be below. Also I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what the 4 wire plug tucked up behind the stereo is for. As always thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)-photo747.jpg   Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)-photo122.jpg   Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)-photo516.jpg   Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)-photo652.jpg   Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)-photo75.jpg  

Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)-photo57.jpg   Kidzilla7x 85 Extended Cab (Just another Build)-photo313.jpg  
Old 03-17-2016, 11:54 AM

Well it started dying again so here's the video.

I tried adjusting the idle with no success, tried blocking egr port on the back of the intake and that just made it do this constantly. I emailed 22re performance since that is who's tech right up I was going off of. But haven't heard back. Any insight at all would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely need to get the RPM's up. Its going to bog down when put in gear and then also when the brake is pressed since the booster has a vacuum line feeding it.

Have you checked the timing? When you adjusted the Idle, was it on the throttle body? Only asking to make sure.

It sounds a like its running rough judging by what I heard in the video while it was in neutral. Almost like its Misfiring.

I would verify where the timing is at first, make sure you are at the correct Idle, and then we can go a little further.

EDIT: I re watched the video a few times. Its just an exhaust leak Im hearing.

What if you put the E-brake on and take your foot off the brake while in gear.....What does it do then??

Last edited by Gizler00; 03-21-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Disconnect the Booster Line and Plug it, then repeat starting, put it in gear and see what it does.

Report back
Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 PM

Thanks Gizler I actually figured it out the other night after talking with 22re performance and a mechanic friend, just had t gotten around to updating the thread yet. We figured out that the point it would normally bog down and die was the shifting points, where the torque converter would stay engaged or lock up. Either neutral to first or more often 1st to 2nd.The mechanic was pretty sure that either 1/2 the ATF and/or filter was bad, or 3 the torque converter was beginning to slip. I just recently rebuilt a dirtbike clutch and don't know much about automatic transmissions but I knew their purposes are the same. I knew sometimes If a dirtbike ha say the clutch can become stuck and not engage in some gears or at all. And would kill the dirtbike when you shift. One kinda half assed way to fix that is to just skip the clutch and power through it to unstick it. So I had the idea that If I found an empty straight stretch I could probably manually shift from 1st to 2nd then to drive maybe I could unstick it. The mechanic kinda thought I was crazy but I true for it and now it has no problem shifting into and out of gear. The engine is tired, burning oil, exhaust leaks everywhere, 200+ miles, so that is probably attributing to it. But I that's why I have a block stripped down in my garage waiting for a rebuild. I still plan on checking the timing, valves, properly adjusting the idle (yes at the throttle body), and then adjusting the tps, just so it runs as good as it can untill I have some extra funds laying around to rebuild the engine. Also don't worry I'm still changing the ATF and probably the filter. We checked for vacuum leaks using the propane torch method and didn't find any but knowing me when I rebuild I'll probably replace every line and crap anyways. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing right!?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 PM

So it looks like I'll be selling my grandpas old truck, I listed it for what I thought was too much and got an offer that I just don't think I could refuse. I also found a 87 4Runner 22re auto sr5 for 1750 so I guess it's just meant to be. My next update will most likely be pictures of the new 4Runner. Thanks for all the help with this truck!