84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1985 - 1989 Body Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 832 Likes on 557 Posts
I ran those headlight guards on my old 4runner. They became pretty rusty due to road salt after the winter. I think I got them from JC Whitney at the time.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got the rear bumper installed as well as the front mudflaps and inner fenders. Other small things as well like swapping the sun visors and dome light. Tomorrow I am going to try to get the brakes bled and the canopy swapped over. We're getting really close.

Special thanks to my Grandpa for letting me come over and use his media blaster (and basement) to clean up my and paint my bumpers. The front wasn't all that bad, but I redid it anyway to match the rear. Both had some minor surface rust to take care of, but nothing major.

Had to cut through black paint - yellow paint - powder coat

Clearly, the rear bumper needed a little more work than the front

If you're cold, they're cold.

New mounting hardware

Not looking forward to putting all the "B" parts on the other truck, but they got to go somewhere lol.

Last edited by Snoop_Todd; 10-16-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Major progress today!
Brakes and clutch bled.
Interior finished.
Hood back on.
....And we're driving, Baby! What a great and fulfilling project.Well, I can never call it the 'd-word', but she's about as close as she's going to get for a while. Took my dad for a little cruise around the block. Couldn't go to far on the rotten old tires, but we had to go somewhere.

Canopy and canopy trim installed

Got all my accessories in order. Even got the courtesy light.

Hey, it still works.

Brakes bled, hood on. Let's roll

Had to go for a short cruise...had to.

...And here she'll sit until Big Blue gives me the opportunity to come fetch her off.

Some major lessons learned for next time...

- Try to get two trucks with the same drive train. Easily 80% of my time went to swapping wires, hoses, and misc parts that weren't compatible between the 22RE and 3.0.
--The transmission tunnel is different between the two transmissions. Requires cutting and patching to make work.
-- The rear passenger heater hoses between the two are different in the engine bay, requiring some custom hose work.
-- All three wiring harnesses (engine, engine bay, interior) are different and have to be swapped.
-- The A/C compressor pulley is different between engines and has to be swapped or left disconnected (belt-less).
-- The cruise control actuator uses a different cable end AND a different electrical plug... Requires taking both apart and piecing together one with mixed parts. 85 actuator fits tight with the 89's bigger brake booster.
-- Throttle cable swap required.
-- Windshield wiper motor swap required.
-- Clutch line between reservoir and slave cylinder are completely different. Bracket mount points aren't drilled on the other's firewall. I managed to adapt the 89's clutch lines and brackets to work.
-- 85's steering column to steering shaft u-joint is thicker than 89's. Makes it a tight fit with the 89's rear passenger heater pipes.
-- Power steering cooler needs moved from 85 to 89 body

-Differences between the solid axle and IFS
-- Driver front brake line off the booster needs swapped

Had both trucks had the same drive train, and the new cab had serviceable interior, the swap would have gone a lot smoother and quicker. It still went really well. I accomplished the goals that I had set.
Man I love driving this thing! It feels sooooo good! She's definitely a keeper.

Thanks for following along!
-Todd

Last edited by Snoop_Todd; 10-17-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
That was fast! Congratulations!Thank you for keeping us updated.
Enjoy it!
Old 10-18-2018, 04:29 AM

Received 832 Likes on 557 Posts
Great job! And beautiful scenery. What state are you in?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Nice job!

You did the swap pretty fast!

It is cool that you have the factory inspection light with your tool kit. Those are pretty hard to come by.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
It is cool that you have the factory inspection light with your tool kit. Those are pretty hard to come by.
It's not the same, but you can buy the Land Crusier one. The seller says it fits in the electric socket of our 4Runners:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Toyota-...4AAOSwIgNXjpg9

Old 10-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by SomedayJ
It's not the same, but you can buy the Land Crusier one. The seller says it fits in the electric socket of our 4Runners:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Toyota-...4AAOSwIgNXjpg9
Yes, I have seen those and have actually considered purchasing one. I don't need one and my truck does not have the factory outlet for it, but they are cool!

The Land Cruiser versions look more durable too, but the original SR5 Truck and 4Runner ones are quite rare.

The Land Cruiser light keeps saying "buy me already" though......