YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wowowow...

that is all.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks, it was a busy few days. I wasnt sure if it looked like I got awhole lot done. I am looking forward to doing the body work. That is where I get the most enjoyment. Cant for get HAIL dings!!! Thats the worse, but is par for this part of the country.

Really not awhole lot to do on the cab. Just hope my patch work turns out. I can borrow a welder, but not sure if I want to, so it may have to wait on the floor. I am afaid if I borrow something it will go wrong then I am stuck buying it.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the frame soaking in Purple Power. Just going to be me and a scrub brush and a wire wheel on a drill. Dont have a way of getting to the carwash to easily. That will be a little slow.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work! So you're going to do a frame up restore? I wish I had the time to do such, not to mention the $.

Keep the pics and progress coming. I'll be following!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Just DSM..How you doing. Thanks for following along. I have the money crunch myself. Just have to do some thrifty shopping and I am doing all of the work my self so that will save a bunch.

I am able to work on the motors and do bodywork, so I am really blessed there so that helps cut cost alot. As far as time. I work the graveyard shift and my days off are Wednesdasy and Thusrsdays. I have to work these hours so as one of us is home for the kiddos at all times.

That gives me alot of time when the wife and kids are at school or work. Alot of the times after work, I come home and just tinker on the truck for an hour to unwind. Sometimes I might just get an hour a day and on my days off I have gotten literally 8-12hours on each day. Just depends on the mood I am.

I try to get something done each day, even if it is small. Today I got 3 dents done and roughed in. Still got to do sanding and priming to do about 10 times.lol

For those 3 dents, I figure I am done for the next 3 days.lol..That is one thing I like doing this frame off restore. I can jump from different areas, and since this is a project, there is no hurry to get things done. Then there are days, I dont even want to touch it.
Also have to deal with the family things and other fires that come along.

One day I will have to go to day shift and things will come to a big halt, but for now this keeps me from keeping the couch warm.

This is a big project and if I looked at the big picture, I could get discouraged. But as it is, I just look at the task at hand. Trying to get the cab and frame cleaned up and looking good. Then I will start on drive train when the weather gets to cold to work outside.

But since this is a project, I am wanting to use this to learn something new such as the patching and welding. I am doing this for myself. If I had the truck done, I would be out looking for another project so why get in any hurry.

When money is tight there is always something that can be done for free. Just cleaning up parts and getting them working right sometimes just takes a little cleaning or adjusting.

I have had others to ask me how I get so much time and money for a project. I am on a tight budget. If you look at my 88 restore, you will see that I came up with some cheap fixs and they work great. I wasnt able to just go buy new parts and I didnt do a poor job of getting things to work. Did alot of searching on the net or came up with my own fixes. I have nearly 26,000 miles on the runner and not a problem yet.

I not only answering your questions but others as well. Timewise is just because of family situation. This is just my hobby, I enjoy it and others times I get away from it so when I do come back to it, it is something enjoyable. Since I cant afford my own yacht and sail around the world guess this will do. Just my opinion, but with the big rat race of everyday life, I feel some arent able to unwind and this works for me.

As far as the money I see put into other builds here, I couldnt even come close. I am the Tortuise in the perverbial race. Slow and steady. One thing at a time.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-08-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Well said my friend. A lot of what you say resonates with me as well. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I noticed my back glass latch was broken. These are usually broken. When I did an 89 standard cab, I found the latch at "BackseatAuto" Part Number 76689 on ebay. Hope this helps some one. Seems like it was $6 plus $3 doallrs for shipping.

I believe you can just enter part number on ebay site and it will pull it up.

There are two different size latches. My flat bed has one about 3/4th in wide. This part number is for the 1" wide (rough guess) as in the picture. I bought an extra when I replaced it on the 89. Now I just got to find it.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got 3 spots done on the cab. There will be alot of priming and sanding, but the drivers side half is roughed in. I have about 3 more on the passenger side.

I got some frame damage. May not look like it in the picture, but the cab support is bent into the frame a little bit. I finally noticed the bent bar once I got the cab off. It will go to a frame shop eventually but I am not worried at this point. It is fixable and wont involve safety. It is a little depressing but so far still a go on this frame. Will see what the frame looks like under bed once I fget it off, but it looks really solid so far. Dont mind a little surface rust.

Edge of support into frame.

Did do some cleaning on the front half of the frame. It is now official on cleaning the grime off of a frame. Its blows!! Got to be done. It is still a ways off from getting painted, but looking for some ideas. I was wondering about painting the frame to the color of the body or some other color. Not wanting anything tacky, but would like to maybe set it out from the crowd.

As high as these set the frame is noticeable. Any ideas??
Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The guy I got the truck from said it was an 83, and I knew the yellow part of the truck was an 83 as I orginally found it for him. I thought he just threw in an earlier grill.

Yesterday I was digging thru the glove box and found the title and it is actually an '81. Which is great for me. The older the better. I will try and change my title to 81/83.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks DSM, when I posted my last is when i noticed another page on this thread.

I tried to change my build thread to 81/83. This is an 83 frame. Here in Missouri, it is legal to swap frames. I have both titles so I am legal. Did the same swap with my flat bed in my avatar.

Trucks this old wont be an issue for me here. If you ever decide to go with this type of swap you will need to check your local regs. You might could get into trouble.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Sometimes things just go right and I can get alot done. I was doing moving right along surprised at how well things were going and then I ran out of bondo. Knew there had to be a speed bump along the way.

Got the roof, down to the rockers and back of the cab done. I will need to do the rocker panels when I get it back on the frame. I cant get to them with it on the trailer. No big deal at this time.

I have been getting alot of the parts put up out of the back of the truck and trying to get it to where I can take off the bed. Then I will get after the frame and get it cleaned up.

The motor compartment is what I think I will focus on next, I want to get it and the door jams painted and then get it back on the frame. Trying to get it that far as the weather is supposed to turn cold soon. So got a little reason to get to that point.

Got to strip and get the motor compartment cleaned and ready for paint. I was going to pull the wires out, but that is alot more work then I would really like to do. I think I can just work around them. Not really excited about having to pull the dash. Have done it in the past, but it is a work out. I think I can make it work.

Other then $5 at the carwash, I dont have anything into this. I am going to make my next post for keeping track of what I spend on this. I did it for my last project. I will keep editing and adding to it as I go along.

Did get one part done up. I will have the radiator checked out and flushed when I get to the motor area. They generally clean it up and paint them when they go throught it. Just something I have always had done on the radiators when working on these trucks.

The shroud only took about 5 minutes using 400 grit wet sandpaper. One less part to mess with later.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

This is going to be my cost post. I will be updating this as I go. All of the supplies I had been using from other projects. Now I need Bondo and Purple Power.

$0 Truck
$5 carwash
$15 Frame coating
$36 Machine head

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-07-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
just keep pluggin' along .. all the small things add up in the end .. every day you do something on it , is progress

Old 10-09-2011, 03:35 PM

For the frame i did POR.15 and it works for me! For most of truck that is not for show and shine i think black is great .You can go any color on the body and it just fit.

Marc.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:30 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
$5 in so far....ahahahahaha

as far as cleaning goes....I have a pressure washer. that, some green scrubby things, simple green foam, brushes, lather rinse and repeat and I ot stuff clean. purple power works well too. used ORANGE GOOP hand cleaner from Harbor Freight for parts cleaning since it washes right off and leaves no residue.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM

For cleaning i used breakcleaner and i read somewhere that ovencleaner is realy good for old grease and mud.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:36 PM

I cant beleive i missed this up to now terry, its looking great I dont have any my self but the yard across the road from my house has a fairly complete 1rst gen 4x4 if you need anything let me know I can atleast check on it for ya. love to come up and give ya a hand on this one, if you cant do the welder for awhile maybe I could bring mine up and try and get as much done at one time as we could.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Slacker.. I have been through your thread and it is something that I try for.One of these days I would like to do that type of quality work. Great job. I have been through about every major tear down on this thread that I could find.

That is one thing that I like about this build. It can only go up, so I am not ruining a nice one and I will learn something off of this build. I try to take each build to the next level.

Hello marcfj-45..I think I will just go black. Try and get it looking as best as possible. I have been wanting to try the POR-15.

I just recently learned of the oven cleaner and hear it does really well. I have got a lot of cleaning to do. I dont mind getting dirty when I start tearing one down, but after getting it together I want it CLEAN!!!lol I spend about as much time washing underneath and engine area as I do the body.

Hello 92.. I am a big spender arent I? lol.. I recently more then doubled my investment. Had to buy a gallon of Bondo, $18. The guy I used to get it from, his shop burned down and that hurt alot of body work people around here. Great guy and great deal on primer, paper, and bondo. He was $10 for a gallon.

Hello Jason.. How you been doing. Been wondering where you were. Fugured you were out quite a bit lately. I am waiting, where you at? lol.. I sure wish we lived closer and had more yota guys here in the midwest. I have a friend that does alot with trucks, but we have different schedules and it isnt easy to get together. Always enjoy it.

I am looking forward to doing some repair work on the truck. As far as floorboards, I feel confident with that. Once I get the hang of brazing again or wire welding again, I think I will be ok on the rocker panel that has some rust.

The one part that will show is the cab corner. I was able to pull alot of it out and thought it was great and i still have the edge way in still. Got to looking further into it and seen it creased the inside in the ziggy lines. I am not sure I can get that out.

I used to work for a guy in a bodyshop and just did dents and dings. He may have a way to get this out that I am unaware of and if I could get the part, I am sure he would show me how to do the cut at the top. I woud rather have it cut out. The pinch welds look great and back of cab is fine. This is something I could feel good about when the project is finished. Knowing I done it right.

I need the whole truck,just kidding, but does it have a good drivers corner? It doesnt show in the picture but I show where I would need the cut at the top and it has a seem in the front and would need cut in the back.

The salvages here are really resonable for things like this, but there are NONE here.
Here is what it looked like before.

Here is what is needed.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got all of the dents fixed. Got a few small hail dings that I missed. This is just roughed in. There is still several times of sanding and priming involved. The cab corner that is in bondo will all need cut out. Once I put the door up to it I seen it was not lining up.

I will remove that part of the bondo,in picture above, but on all of the rest, it is done. I still have some patching to do in the floorboard and part on the rocker panel.

I could have this truck running in a pretty short amount of time, but it really wouldnt be much of a challenge. I get the cab corner and rocker done right, it will be a milestone for me. I am going to get the engine bay ready to paint it and the jambs and such. Changing colors is a big job, and this is about the best way to do it.

Got rained out and stopped me from finishing the couple of little dings. Something that did go wrong that was going to need replaced anyways was the windshield. While moving it around the house, it fell into the engine bay and isnt any good for keeping out the rain. I am sure this cab was in rain before, but want to keep it to a minimum. Need to get me a tarp.

Had a dent on pasenger cab corner and a few in the back. Most were in the top. For the most part the actual cab is solid.

Still getting the parts put up in the shed out of the back of the truck. Getting there. Then want to get the bed off. It will be the last part to get worked on.

I want to get the frame cleaned and fixed and get the cab back on as soon as I can. Then I will start on the drive train. Just to show how the order I am kind of going in.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had this guy over at the house to do an estimate for a shop I would like to have and he is into rock crawling. He said he has a 79-83 long bed that is supposed to be in pretty descent shape and would take $200 for it. I will look at it and see. That would make my restore half way done.

My bed on the passenger side is rusted pretty bad in spots. I would like to practice on it and possibly save it. Will have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 83 Build Restore