Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

scooper's 1980 Hilux Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like it's commin along pretty good. Grabber green and black would look pretty good, or if you are a superman fan, use those colors on the engine.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:13 AM

Hey Wab, you got the stuff for some custom bumpers? I'm only 3 hrs from ya =)
Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I think I got 2 or 3 sticks of tubing laying around.

Trying to work on my own junk over the holidays!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Hey, I don't blame ya there. Mine wont be together until after the holidays anyways. I still have yet to order all the parts and pieces, or take the motor to my machine shop.

Seriously tho, are you up for it when I get ready to make some? You have the bender etc.? I'm wanting front and rear, prolly some rock slider too. I'll buy the metal and pay your regular shop rate.

I'm just picky about what i want the front to look like and want draw something up and go over it with whoever I get to do all the fab work.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coop - Where did you get your internals from, ie: pistons, rings, bearings?

Also this is a general question for the gurus, (no thread jack meant), but how do you tell manufacturer date based on engine stamp? I went to pick up a block this weekend, and the guy couldn't tell me what years the blocks came from. Pretty important considering post 85 is what 2mm taller. Plus I want one the is pre - 8/84 so I can convert it to the double wide chain.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 AM

www.engnbldr.com

Some of the nicest and most knowledgeable guys that I have ever talked to.

I'm not sure about the block stamping, I was mostly pointing out the 22R stamp in the above photos.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by scooper
Hey, I don't blame ya there. Mine wont be together until after the holidays anyways. I still have yet to order all the parts and pieces, or take the motor to my machine shop.

Seriously tho, are you up for it when I get ready to make some? You have the bender etc.? I'm wanting front and rear, prolly some rock slider too. I'll buy the metal and pay your regular shop rate.

I'm just picky about what i want the front to look like and want draw something up and go over it with whoever I get to do all the fab work.
I have more than enough shop toys for the job. :hilbill: Just need to schedule a time by a couple weeks ahead if you can. I stay pretty swamped and baseball starts back up soon with my boys.

And I got a buggy to build for SE4RJ.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 AM

www.engnbldr.com

Some of the nicest and most knowledgeable guys that I have ever talked to.

I'm not sure about the block stamping, I was mostly pointing out the 22R stamp in the above photos.
that stamp pic got me thinking. I too have heard good things about engnbldr. Keep the pics coming.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM

Wow, I really like this build! Way to go with the marlin inner axles right off the bat. You have very little rust to deal with, and it sounds like you will be able to get a running engine in there before too long. I just got an 83 and it needs a head gasket, so I can't wait to tear into it. If it makes you feel any better, I dropped a "rebuilt" 22re in a 4runner and it only lasted a week before it threw a rod, so at least you got 2 months out of yours. Have fun with the build. DD/ trail rig combos are my favorite!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM

I have been thinking of the gear ratio I want to run alot lately and I think i'm going to go with 35's and 4.88. It is a daily driver and I do need to get on the highway sometimes. I dont want to have to keep everything wound out to run 75-80 mph.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:55 AM

I have been thinking of the gear ratio I want to run alot lately and I think i'm going to go with 35's and 4.88. It is a daily driver and I do need to get on the highway sometimes. I dont want to have to keep everything wound out to run 75-80 miles per hour.
It's never the highway that's an issue, it's the getting started in 1st gear that will pose an issue. If it were me, I'd only run 5.29s with 35" tires.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 PM

My computer fried, just got it fixed folks. Sorry about not having any updates. I havnt touched the truck since my last post yet. Trying to find a job and get my funds saved up again, work is hard to find nowadays.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be interested in buying this truck as is.. great body and perfect frame... motor is out right now.. but it's a 22r dual row chain.. I have 2 complete motors that will go with it.. a 22r and 20r.. it has the 4spd tranny. Transmission and clutch a perfect, brand new clutch from NAPA was put in before I got the truck. Couple SMALL rust spots, nothing major that I have seen. It's a jewel and rare find to find one not all banged and rusted out.

What you guys think it's worth?

If i finish rebuilding the motor and put it back in.. i probably wont end up selling it... so here's your chance.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Parts came in today, i now have a crank again! And I got my new bearing, pistons, master gasket kit, arp head bolts, cam, beehive valve springs and piston rings.. time to build the hybrid.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 PM

how much did all that set you back?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 PM

Average price on a Master rebuild kit is around 200 - 275 dollars. Mine I got from Engnbldr.com for 225.00 with flat rate shipping of 22.00. It came with nearly everything, bearings, seals, gaskets..

When I burned the bearing in the engine it scored the crank bad enough that I had to get a new crank as well, that set me back another 220.00 dollars as well.

I took a rod out of my 20r and measured it, it's the exact same as my 22r rod so I am going to us it.

I had to have the block honed, prepped, etc. I got that done for free, but it would normally set you back about 50-100 bucks just for that.

I do all my own mechanic work. Im very picky about my engine spec's and I torque every nut and bolt. I dont just put them on and tighten them til' they feel tight.. Normally a mechanic would charge about 1200+ bucks to rebuild and reinstall a motor.. so far im only up to about 500.00 and it will be better than new. Especially with the 20r head setup.. Hopefully.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM

nice....i have to do the EXACT same with my engine...so thats why i was wondering.....gonna get a new crank from ebay same with engine rebuild kit....lol i like ebay
Old 01-18-2009, 07:30 PM

Got the old engine cleaned up and painted black. Took the 4x4 pan off of the stock 20r engine and painted it black as well. I had to get the oil sump off of the 20r and use it instead of the 22r 2wd one because the one on the 22r did not sit deep enough in the 4x4 oil pan.

I found out today that the rod from the 20r engine are the exact same as the rods from 22r engines from 1979-1984 (Pre EFI engines only). That was a neat little tip. I also ripped the 20r head down and sent it to the machine shop to get it finished and prepped for the hybrid swap.

Anyone have a spare 22r carb plate for the 20r intake they wanna send my way?

I'll get some pics for you guys up soon. I have no idea where I put my camera.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 AM

Found me a new front skid plate on a truck at the junkyard. I sanded it down and primered it. I'm going to paint it olive drab green to match the planned truck paint. I also dropped the gas tank skid plate and started grinding/sanding it down to prep it for some fresh paint as well.

And I STILL cannot find where the hell I left my camera.

Oh, and on top of that..

My brother traded his primer 83 for a friggin chevy luv 4x4.. and he's wanting to lower and airbag the thing.. WTF is wrong with him..

I tried to get him to let me get his SR5 gauges and interior and swap our transmissions out before he traded but he wouldnt go for it. I even offered to buy him the chevy luv if he gave me his 83 for parts and he turned it down too. What a a$$hat.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM

Great news, Engine is 100% complete again. Still no pics, very sorry guys. it's not int he truck yet. I have a few MISC. things i want to clean in the engine bay before I put it back in. The block ins Grey now, which should look decent with the OD green paint job I plan to put on it.

I also got me a set of 33" TSL's on 15" white steelies for 100 bucks. The are about 1/2 worn but at taht price, that will be good "trail" tires or spares. I plan to paint the steelies black after i sand and clean them up.

Fixed my stock skidplate and repainted it as well. It looks brand spanking new and it should bolt up again.. Stupid stumps.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
get some pics bro ... as I cant read ........

Quick Reply: scooper's 1980 Hilux Build-Up Thread