Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

scooper's 1980 Hilux Build-Up Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by scooper
Great news, Engine is 100% complete again. Still no pics, very sorry guys. .
no pics didn't happen
That is good news and a huge amount of progress
Originally Posted by slacker
get some pics bro ... as I cant read ........
i am in the same boat, happens to us old farts
Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front skid plate on an 80?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
I repainted my skid plate & oil pan too. After half a winter of driving it you wouldn't know it...Looked good at first though!

Something to think about...Deathcougar brought it to my attention that you can put an '84 or '85 oil pan on our trucks, which are meant to use silicone gasket makers as a gasket instead of the crap cork gasket our trucks use. I guess they are very leak prone. I used RTV black on my pan instead of the cork, not knowing this about my year truck, and it leaks.

Good to hear about all the progress! I can't wait to see the photos.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM

Finally got to drive my truck again, motor is back in, everything is buttoned up and sealed.

I ended up using the 22r block with a rebuild kit for Engine builders website, then I used the 20r head off of the original engine, Rocker assembley off of the 22r head, and intake from the 20r engine. I now have my hybrid up and running, but the 22r carb completely crapped out and Im having to use my 20r carb. This carb is so outta whack and 1/2 the vaccum hoses are probably in the wrong place. I'm not a carb man, and I hate messing with them. I got it to hold the idle and got the timing set right. I still have to adjust the valves, it has a little bit of valve slap going on, but the motor really purrs and runs solid. I really cannot tell much of a difference at all with this hybrid build compared the the 22r engine/head/carb. But, like I said, the carb is most likely out of whack somewhere. The cam is very nice and the truck does seem to scoot down the road alot quicker. Still have alot to do and keep an aye on for the first few days. i am taking it easy on the engine. If this one blows tho, im going to put a 4.3 vortec in it.

I need to get some money saved up and break down and buy that 32/36 webber I have been wanting to get since day one. I also need to get my front drive shaft put back in it so i can have my 4WD back, and I have been trying to remove everything that is not needed under the hood. I want the truck to be simple and bare as can be in the engine bay, I need to room to mount my 2nd battery and on-board welder in the future.

It was a great feeling being able to drive my truck once again down the highway, people look at me funny because i was sitting there just a smiling and happy while the truck was sputtering and tapping because of that dang carb. The don't understand. It's a Toyota thing.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 PM

Oh yeah, for all my blind and old friends out there that can't read anymore. I'll have some pics up tomorrow night for you, but it really is nothing fancy. It was a hybrid build as cheap as I could. It cost me round 600 bucks so far.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:42 PM

Nice to see you got your truck up and running again. Get that carb figured out and trust me youll notice the difference in the hybrid, i sure did. That motor will just want to rev and rev some more now.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Thanks sked, I worked on the carb and timing all day today and finally got it right, it will keep the idle and the engine runs superb now. I have to adjust the valve lash a hair more. I did it cold as best as I could when putting it all back together, now that I can run it w/o any problems and idle well, i can really tell a big difference, hills are no problem at all anymore, and yes, the truck just pulls so much better than before.

My brother that had the 83 and traded it a Chevy luv, then sold the luv for 500 bucks just purchased a 94 yota. I had to test drive it and check everything out for him and the truck is very solid. Hopefully he will stay with the yota this time. He's still kicking himself in the pants for trading his 83 for a flipping luv.

I still have tons of work to do!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Nice yota bud. I love to see the ole true yotas brought back to life. I am in the process of doing it and dang its a lot of work. My problem is I tend to go a little overboard on things. Hopefully ill have my donor motor in and running by weds. Keep up the log. I see some of the things u want to do and its gonna rock when its done. Tho I never truely understood going with a dual transfer case. Im thinking of getting a ATLAS II case. Downside is no more freeways but for wheeling imo its the best there is.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 83
I repainted my skid plate & oil pan too. After half a winter of driving it you wouldn't know it...Looked good at first though!

Something to think about...Deathcougar brought it to my attention that you can put an '84 or '85 oil pan on our trucks, which are meant to use silicone gasket makers as a gasket instead of the crap cork gasket our trucks use. I guess they are very leak prone. I used RTV black on my pan instead of the cork, not knowing this about my year truck, and it leaks.

Good to hear about all the progress! I can't wait to see the photos.
Oil pan needs to be from 85+

84-prior used the raised ridges. 85+ uses the sunken valleys. Much better sealing, and no cork gasket to go bad.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 AM

Ah, thanks for the correction. So an IFS pan is ok? I must have read what you wrote wrong, but I thought what I was looking for was the next gen (2nd) oil pan, but still from a solid axle truck.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:31 AM

By the way, glad your truck is running again! It's really exciting when that happens. It will only get better, too. I had some other issues with mine, not knowing how to do a lot of the fine tuning stuff, so it ran kinda crappy for a while, but beyond that, as the engine breaks in and smooths out it only gets better. My engine really runs nice now, with better power than my '86 22RE.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by 83
Ah, thanks for the correction. So an IFS pan is ok? I must have read what you wrote wrong, but I thought what I was looking for was the next gen (2nd) oil pan, but still from a solid axle truck.
Toyota basically designed the placement of the front diff around the oil pan, so every 22R/E 4wd pan from 85+ is the exact same.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Great, thanks. So for my '83, any '85-on 22R/E pan will bolt up and work with RTV, instead of the crappy cork gasket, correct?
Sorry for the short hijack.
Back at it.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Staff

Any 85+ 4wd pan will work
Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM

I tinkered with it more today and go the carb and timing dead on, You can't even tell it's running when you are sitting in it. I got up and adjusted the valves again this morning and there is no chatter at all now. I'm loving it! This new engine will really scoot down the road so much better than it did the first time. I stripped the interior today as well and put my acura seats back in, they are a little tall, but felt so much better against my backside. I'm going to put a stock 94' radio in it tomorrow and some speakers, also going to wire the PA up to my Cobra 25 CB and try to get the oil and voltage gauges working correctly. I drove around town enough today an nearly used up a full tank of gas. I took it pretty easy on the engine tho, but god it feels so good just driving again. I dont think i'll ever go 3 months w/o a ride again.

For the record I am using the stock 80 oil pan on my 22r hybrid. The 22r was a 2wd and still worked, but it made the drain plug be a bit of a pain to get to when the skid plate and all was on. With the stock 20r 4x4 pan, everything lines up perfect and I can get to the drain hole with no problems, like stock.

I went out and took a few pictures for you guys. It's dark, sorry about the quality.

Engine bay:

Refinished skid and oil pan:

Stripped Interior:

Acura seats:

Random:

Last edited by scooper; 03-23-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 AM

NICE work. It really is nice to finally drive it again, huh? I had another vehicle while my truck was in peices, but still..
I like what you did with the stereo. Those center vents are kind of useless anyways.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 AM

Thanks! I tried to mount it in the dash, but I'd of really had to cut into the factory metal and trim too much just to squeeze it in. I don't run AC, and I only use my heater and figured those vest would be the best spot. It fit perfectly in there. I just have to wire it up. I wish the interior looked better, My plan is to have a spray in bed liner in there and to find some door panels in the junkyard. I will have the dash and all done too at some point, I dont like the blue.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:53 AM

Did you actually use the vent housing, or find something else?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 83
Did you actually use the vent housing, or find something else?
I am curious about that too..A radio mounted down there would not be too bad...my compressor was pulled by a PO so I am gonna pulled the condensor etc..
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Yeah I don't have AC and it's not something I plan on adding, so I'm definitely interested.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scooper's 1980 Hilux Build-Up Thread