Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JustDSM's '83 SR5 Build up Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need one of those back wall carpets desperately. mine was so saturated with tar and smoke I threw it out.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ducatipaso
I need one of those back wall carpets desperately. mine was so saturated with tar and smoke I threw it out.
I think there is one in the local yard here. If memory serves me it's a little dusty but it's in relatively good shape otherwise. If you'd be interested I'll swing by there this weekend and see if it's still there and what they want for it.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by JustDSM
I think there is one in the local yard here. If memory serves me it's a little dusty but it's in relatively good shape otherwise. If you'd be interested I'll swing by there this weekend and see if it's still there and what they want for it.
yes, please.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 AM

Ok guys.. It's been a little while since I've updated anything here. A little bit has changed so I thought I'd drop a few lines here to update everything. Perhaps this should be moved to the build section as this thread kinda turned into that direction without me realizing it..

Anywho.. I got rid of some nasty harmonics in the cab that were due to the poly LC Engineering motor mounts. You can read up on some of our members having related issues as well as my findings. I ended up removing the passenger side mount and putting the OEM mount back in that position and it eliminated 80-90% of the resonate frequencies that were driving me crazy. It allows me a quick 20 minute change to full poly if I decide to go on a wheeling trip while allowing me some peace and quite for my 50 mile daily commute.

Picked up some 90-93 Honda Accord seats and had a friend weld up some brackets to allow them bolt onto the factory seat sliders, so no holes drilled in floorpan or anything like that. Came out nice! I really like the built in arm rest into the seat.. They're not a perfect match to the interior color but they blend well and look pretty good. They are much more supportive and comfortable than the '83 SR5 seats, and sit a little higher which isn't a problem in my eyes as it gives me a little better view of the trail when I'm out. Being 5'7" it gives me just enough leg room, but I don't think these seats would be a good choice if you're much taller than I am.

I ordered up the full OME kit to replace the tired suspension on the truck and get me just high enough to clear the 33x12.50 MT/R Kevlars I've got sitting in the garage on flat black Pro-Comp 15x8 Rock Crawlers. I'm really excited to get these on the truck!

Also picked up a rear E-Locker 3rd memeber from a member here. Getting it regeared with 4.88 Yukons for the 33's. Also picked up some Yukon 4.88's for a High Pinion diff, just need to source the housing. I'm really wanting to find a HP E-Locker housing and think I'll just save up until I can find one instead of settling for a mechanical locker up front with a selectable in the rear.

Also found a mint condition dash in the yard here off a 80 or 81 2wd pickup. I picked that up for $30! I plan to use it to do a dash resoration. Only problem is the previous (1st owner) did quite a few 4x4 events in this truck and has little plaques on the dash and I'd hate to rid the truck of them, as thats part of the trucks character and soul. I'm going to have to figure something out here, but if nothing else, I've got a nice spare..

In the same yard that I picked up the dash in, they've got a 20R, 22R, 3RZ all fresh for the picking at very cheap prices. Which leaves me realling having to scratch my head to figure out what do I do.. I'm fully capable of installing either to include the major wiring involved in a 3RZ swap, but a part of me wants to keep this thing "true to form" and build a mild 22R thats spiced up a bit being I already have a brand new LC Engineering Header I just spent a lot of coin on. So we'll see what comes my way in this department.

Now that I've told you all the good and goodies I've souced here's the not so good..

While driving home from work, I had to swerve to miss a coyote and I hit a mile marker on the right side of the truck which dented up the front fender on the passenger side pretty good, busted the front marker light, scratched/scuffed the door, and scuffed the bed/fender flare and busted the rear marker light. I was upset about the damages, but I guess I should be thankful they weren't more severe. I ordered up some new marker lights and she came back to almost as good as before minus the dings and scuffs.. Most of which can or could be buffed out.

The front end seems to be making some noise when turning right, so I'm suspecting the wheel bearings are on their last leg. And I just checked Marlin Crawler's site and they're out of stock on the front end rebuild parts. Darn! Looks like a call will be in order to see how much of a delay we're looking at.

The rear end could probably use the same treatment, but thankfully I've got all the goodies from Marlin to rebuild the rear. I had initially planned to do it when I did the 4.88 E-Locker swap but it may have to come before that..

The carb's choke and other little things seem to be functioning oddly, so I'm debating a rebuild or maybe a Weber swap. I've got a very slight miss/stumble at idle and the truck does not want to idle as smoothly as I feel it should, so I'm going to look at the engine rebuild and maybe going through all the systems to ensure everything is within spec if I decide to stick with the 22R series motor.

Other than that, the truck has been amazing. It's everything I wanted and while it might not be something most would want to take a lady to a date in, I'm perfectly content driving this thing anywhere. And I'm very happy to do so!

(PICS COMING! )
Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks great!!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Looks great!!
Thanks man! I'm really liking your new motor build. I've got to admit, what you've done to your '82 has been a inspriation to the build up of my truck.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks!
Yours it going to be nice!
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Here's some teaser cell phone pics. A much more indepth update is to follow shortly!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea im jealous!!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 PM

that looks freakin amazing
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by JustDSM
Ok guys.. It's been a little while since I've updated anything here.Perhaps this should be moved to the build section as this thread kinda turned into that direction without me realizing ....

.... 4.88 E-Locker swap
Moving to the build folder for you

As far as your elocker-I know your were thinking of putting it in the rear end-I would highly recommend putting your selectable locker up front, especially if this thing might see DD duty during the winter. JMO.

Last edited by dropzone; 04-12-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Posting from my phone sucks sometimes
Old 04-12-2011, 07:13 PM

lookin good
Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Let me first apologize for the lack of pictures recently. I've completely misplaced the cable for my digital camera and just can't bring myself to using the camera on my iPhone.

So some updates.. Nothing too crazy, but the OME lift kit is installed. I'm pretty happy with it at this point. I ended up ordering it from 4WheelParts in El Paso, TX as they quoted me a price that was cheaper than all the online retailers once you accounted for shipping. I was happy about that!

I ended up with the following parts from OME:
Front Springs (CS008FA)
Rear Springs (CS009R)
Front Shocks (N84)
Rear Shocks (N95)
Front Bushings (OMESB5)
Rear Bushings (OMESB6)
Rear U-Bolts (OMEU53)
*Front U-Bolts (OMEU52)
Steering Dampner (OMESD21)

* Front Ubolts are traditional "U" bolts and for the life of me just could not figure out how on earth they were supposed to be fastened to the spring/axle.. I ended up just re-using the orignal mounting equipment.

The lift kit went on the truck easy as can be.. I can't believe how smooth the install went. I am so happy with the rust free nature of my NorCal truck especially when it comes to times like getting underneath and wrenching. Not one stuck bolt.. Didn't even need WD-40 or a breaker bar for anything.

My impressions of the kit thus far with about 200 miles of driving are a little mixed. I think the front end of the kit is well sorted. It rubs a little at full compresison when turning with my MT/R 33x12.50's. I ended up having to remove the mudflaps which wasn't a big deal to me. But I thought it might have cleared the 33's without rubbing. Not quite the case. I'm going to be placing an order for some 1.5" spacers (all around) to widen up the stance and hopefully help with the rubbing. I might need a slightly longer shackle up front to ensure clearance though which might not be a bad thing, as it has a little bit of rake to the stance which I'd like to lessen a little bit.

The rear of the kit I'm not so impressed with. The springs are quite a bit stiffer, and have a horrible shackle angle. Perhaps the rear springs need to relax a little.. But even with that being the case I can't see the shackle angle improving much beyond verticle. Before I say too much regarding the rear springs I'm going to load up the truck and take it out on some trails and see if things don't improve. I'm unable to do that at this time because the 33x12.50's are rubbing the frame at full stuff in the rear. So as mentioned before, spacers....

The Goodyear MT/R Kevlars are amazing so far! I haven't been able to really work them offroad for the reasons mentioned above, but at normal pressures, and the 50 miles a day I commute on them they've really impressed me! I can't tell any increase in cabin noise/droning and they handle as well as the truck is capable. I just wish I could mount them black side out...

Other tid-bits.. Gears/Setup-Kits are ordered. I decided to sway from my orignal plan of using the E-Locker and HP Front. Partially due to $ and the fact I have a pretty crazy daily commute with the truck (25mi ea. way w/ a 2K ft. climb over mountain passs) it's become my #1 priority to get gears in this thing. I'm already at 4K ft elevation so the little 22R probably isn't even making 90hp and throwing 33's on stock gearing, while trying to climb a mountain pass twice a day isn't very fun.. So I decided I'm going to stick with the 4cyl 3rd's and just regear them and use the new Spartan Lockers front and rear. After selling what I had already bought, I pretty much paid for the gears/setup-kits. Just need to drop some coin for the lockers which I'll do most likely next paycheck (2 weeks from now)

Other than that, I've dropped my spare block off at the local machine shop to have some work done to it. It was a junkyard core that had a spun rod bearing.. Chewed #2 up pretty good. Might have to source a new rod, but we'll see what the machinist is able to do with it. Plans for the new bottom end are nothing note worthy really. Just get the block machined pretty much to OEM spec. I'd like to slightly bump the compression, but I'm not going to fork out the coin for some custom forged pistons. So I'll probably be giving ENGNBLDR a call for a set of pistons/rings. I'll go with Clevite 77 bearings throughout, and reconditioned OEM rods/crank.

The cylinder head will be lightly ported (just cleaning up the casting) w/ ENGNBLDR O/S SS valves and valvetrain. 261 Crawler cam. Nothing crazy.. Just hopefully a little more Oohmph to get up and over the pass.

I know you guys like pics.. I'm probably going to have to order up a new cable from Sony for my camera, cause at this point in time I'm unable to take quality photos..
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
you would be surprised out how well Iphone pics come out using the photobucket.com moble app. I have been using it for the majority of my pic postings the last few months..
Old 04-24-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
you would be surprised out how well Iphone pics come out using the photobucket.com moble app. I have been using it for the majority of my pic postings the last few months..
Not too bad! I'll probably be using my phone a bit more now!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 PM

Looks amazing..
Old 05-12-2011, 05:30 PM

Lets see..

Well, I got the gears, setup kits and lockers. Spent last Friday pulling the rear 3rd. The first bolt I turned which happened to be the drain for the diff. It was on there pretty tight and I had to put about all I had into it.. It gave way suddenly almost as if I had broken it (thankfully I didn't) but I did break my finger!

I ended up just bearing the pain and removing everything.. Getting them dropped off to have all the bearings pressed, ect.. I really do need to pick up a little press for projects. But that's going to come. I really can't wait to have this thing geared for the tires. Living at 4K feet above sea level and climbing mountain passes isn't too fun with 33's and 4.10's!!

The engine I picked up from the junkyard ended up being a total waste. The crank was shot, the one rod was garbage, and the block had already been bored .040" over and the rust it had in the cylinder (2 & 3) were bad enough that even going .060" wouldn't do it.. So I pretty much wasted my money on that. I was pretty bummed about that. Still am and probably will be for some time! I hate wasting money.

The cylinder head should be ok. It's going to need some extensive clean-up work, but that's fine. When I start to wrap up the other projects I've got going on with the truck I'll start focusing attention on this thing. I just can't be bothered with the head at this time..

Thought I'd drop a few pics of just some randomness.. I really haven't been in the "photographer" mood the last few months. Hopefully that changes, as I need to document this build!

A little mall-crawlin':

Some of the goods to rebuild the axles. I've got a stack of Marlin seals in the closet too.. I'm not looking forward to doing the front end, but it's gonna have to get done sooner than later:

Put in a new Clutch master cylinder:

And a new 1" Hilux brake master cylinder. I made a new hardline for the rear. What a chore that was.. Not so much bending it up, but locating a 12" piece of 3/8" line w/ M10x1.0 inverted threads. Took me two days scouring all the parts stores to locate it!:

Just the truck:

And the crappy shackle angle I mentioned about in a previous post. I'll be correcting this, but sadly OME couldn't get it right when they made the springs.:

Old 05-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Simply? ........ LOVE your truck! lol.

Sorry bout the digit! OUCH!

Get better quick, man.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 AM

yeah that looks like it bloody hurt
Old 05-21-2011, 08:18 AM

After a fiasco with a local shop, I decided to pack up and take a trip up to Colorado to visit some friends and visit a few places I frequented while I was stationed in that area. HUGE props to Scotty@Addicted Offroad for helping me out with this!! I called him on a Sunday afternoon and he answers! I explain my situation which was becoming desperate (long story) and he agrees to squeeze me into his already hectic schedule. So I pack up, and head up to Colorado for a mini-vacation..

Front axle removed and loaded:

Rear, just chillin':

Got the rear wheel bearings replaced. Man-o-man were the orignals sloppy/worn out. My truck actually coasts now!:

Installed some SpeedBleeders while I had it all apart:

Scotty did an amazing job setting up the diff/lockers:

Getting some work done on the rear end:

And some work on the front:

Now I just have to install this gem:

Last edited by JustDSM; 05-21-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JustDSM's '83 SR5 Build up Thread