Old 06-29-2017, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Right on
Thanks!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Little Bear
Every day I check Ebay. Tip...Since sellers use different words to describe the same thing I search using with different key words for the same item I'm looking for. Ebay also has some sellers that specialize in just toyota parts new and used so I ask them if they have what I'm looking for.

Mike and his team at Griffith Toyota has a good start of Toyota parts for first gens.

I use Toyota Parts Overstock at Lakeland Toyota to research part numbers

I plug those part numbers into Parts voice .com to see who has those parts or if they are obsolete.

hope this helps
Thanks for the help!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
Best part about this site in my opinion. Whenever I think about how much money I've blown on mistakes and changing my mind, I remind myself how much I've saved doing things I've seen others do on here. Your work is very clean.
Thank You! Yotatech has been a huge help to fill in the gaps that the FSM doesn't cover...
I wish I had some land and an old barn to strip her down to do a "frame off" resto like some have done on here.. But that would require funds and time outside my budget so I guess I should just wish for cash..Lol

Last edited by Big Little Bear; 06-29-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Last Year this cool design appeared on the inside of my rear tire and it turned out to be a leaking brake cylinder inside the drum. This time it's the axle seal gone bad allowing gear oil to spew out onto the tire.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:35 AM

I replaced the seal on the axle but it looked to me that the bearing had a little wobble to it. Since a New Koyo bearing wasn't that much I might as well replace it. Some have said that the wobble can cause the seal to go bad. makes sense to me but I have also seen the front rubber crank seal cut a groove in the steel shaft of the crank pulley causing a leak. So it may be possible that the seal in the axle could cut a groove into the bearing retainer ring. So with a wobble in the bearing and the possibility that the old seal wore a groove in the retainer ring I better replace them now or I'll be doing this again in a few months.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM

Getting that retainer ring off was a bear. I did not have the Special service tool or jig to press it off along with the bearing and the only way I could use my press wouldn't touch it. Being careful not to nick the axle shaft or bearing pocket I used a dremmel to cut through half of the retainer ring then a BFH with a cold chisel finished the job. Tip...A smaller width chisel would be better.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM

Cleaned and Epoxy painted. New rubber adjuster plug, new bell crank rubber, new axle seal, new dust / oil seal, new bearing and retainer ring.
Used this setup in my press to get it back together. The two steel Blocks seen under the Backing plate on either side of the shaft are actually under the retainer ring.

Last edited by Big Little Bear; 06-30-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:02 PM

Old 06-29-2017, 03:13 PM

After I got the axle pressed into the new bearing and retainer I noticed it still had a slight wobble. I ordered two Koyo bearings and so I checked the other one still in the box and it too looked like it had a little play to it....Has anyone come across this before? Is there some play to the rear axle bearings ? Well nothing I can do about it now but wait and see.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 AM

Hopefully this will be the "end" of "surprise" fixes for a while so I can get some repairs done to the bed , get the roll bar in, get the new hood on, get some bumper brackets, and get the interior finished up.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:17 PM

so did you just go with the bearing?
Old 07-02-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
so did you just go with the bearing?
Yep... The play or wobble in the bearing was minimal at the bearing but more pronounced at the end of the axle shaft...It being a NEW bearing leads me to think that it's normal play and once the Axel is "locked" in at the hogs head and bolted in with the four bolts at the end of the Axel.....I Can't imagine it wobbling.

I also jacked up the rear end and tried to wobble the Tire and it Didn't ...so I'm going to call it good but keep an Eye on it. So far with a few trips to the grocery store and back no leak.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:14 AM

gotcha
Old 07-21-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man awesome truck
Old 07-23-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cheez79
Man awesome truck
Thanks cheez, She is getting there slow but sure...
Old 09-08-2017, 08:37 AM

So when visiting where my Ol Lady works and resides I noticed that they are some of the worst drivers. This can be corroborated by News stories, polls, and even by the people that live and work there. They also have some of the worst traffic.

The Thing that I see the most often, is folks just can't keep their Tiny "libtard save the earth" cars in their lane of travel.

Now seeing that my Leaf Spring Lifted relic is sitting on 35s. And at times it Feels like driving 90 in a John Deere Tractor. I can still keep her in my lane.

Well anyway I thought it was time for a Horn upgrade...
Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 AM

Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Little Bear
Well anyway I thought it was time for a Horn upgrade...
Get you a big triple air horn. It'll get there attention from texting and maybe even make them piss their pants😳😳
Old 09-08-2017, 09:29 AM

I like the sound of Train and Semi Truck horns but didn't want to deal with a compressor.
After some research, I found some sellers on Ebay selling 4 horn sets collected from old Buicks and Cadillacs that when played together would produce a sound of a train.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:40 AM

I wanted this to be as plug and play as possible but it wasn't as easy to just replace the old horn with these because the factory horn is Negative Switched at the horn buttons and always has 12v positive at the horn. Just the opposite as you would expect. I decided to keep the factory horn because of the "backward" way the factory wired it and just move it to a different location. This will be the "polite" horn.

Quick Reply: Big Little Bears 1983 Toy BRRT Build-Up Thread