Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

1976 Ford Super Cab Restore

Old 03-17-2017, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure what is going on with Photobucket. I got several pictures I want to post but it is giving me problems. I will wait and see if it comes back up later on. I have gone 4-5 years without missing work and the other day was the first time I have missed in a long time as I got the flu bug. That was some bad stuff. I was inbed for 3 days. I never get sick. Yesterday was the first time out of the house so it was nice to get up and get something done. Wife and one of the kids had a dose of it too. Hope it is out of here.

A while back I pulled the rear tank and it was full of crud. I soaked it in white vinegar and got it cleaned up nice. I flushed it with water and in the sink you can see some of the crud that come out of it. It was just a fraction of what was in it. I then dried the tank with a hair dryer and then vacuumed the rest of the dust out of the tank. It is the first part to go back on the truck. Yesterday I pulled the Auxillary tank and drained 12 gallons of gas out of it. The gas looked nasty but when I looked into the tank, it was clean. I am just going to clean it out with soap and water and then clean and paint the frame in that area.
Name:  20170315_015128_zpsgxz8jwfn.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  255.4 KB
Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to see you back at it sir. I spent a few hours last night going through your first gen build thread. I cant believe i missed the entire thing. I think that was during the time i got really sick for those 2 years. Either way, great job as always. Have a great weekend.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tony... You were one of the first to Welcome me to Yotatech and then I do remember you being gone for a while. Glad to see you got over your illness. I am hoping to have a productive weekend if all goes well. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

For as bad as the gas was in this tank. The tank is clean. I caught a break on that.
Name:  20170316_161558_zpsyfemhvnp.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  308.5 KB

I started flushing the brake lines from the Maser Cylinder to the front pads. Drivers side is cleared but passenger side is clogged. The rear brakes I am letting soak to break the nut off of the line that connects to the Slave Cylinder.
Name:  20170317_141915_zpswl3yzdzr.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  306.1 KB

I will replace all of the brake system and it will probably be one of the last systems I replace. I dont want the brake fluid just sitting in the system for over a year. I filled the Master Cylinder with Marvel Mystery Oil and start soaking the lines to clear any rust out of the lines.
Name:  20170317_141943_zpsvk38emab.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  311.7 KB

Rear tank installed and Auxillary tank nearly ready to be installed. Done a lot of cleaning on it. I clean all of the liquid systems as they get dirty. I am also working on the Fuel Lines.
Name:  20170317_142029_zpseo5nv1ez.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  258.0 KB

My first small patch panel. It is what attaches from the rocker panel to the floor board. I still have some edges to build up.
Name:  20170317_142103_zpswxu7mdjl.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  231.8 KB
Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Been a little busy but did get some time on the Ford and got the fuel tanks cleaned and installed. I need to get the Ford out to get the wrecked 2 wheel drive in the shop to get it finished up.

Justin putting the fuel hoses on to help keep rain out.
Name:  20170414_131639_zpsdj8inojf.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  184.7 KB

Justin wrecked the Ford. While using the 2 wheel to pull the Ford out, he did not turn the wheel far enough and it bumped the shop door. The Ford does not have any bakes on it at this time and when it started rolling he could not stop. Not really his fault. I am just using this to tease him. He did great helping to get the truck out of the shop.

Cab damage. Minor and will be an easy fix. It knocked the trim loose and a minor ding.
Name:  20170414_133232_zpsimuixpoz.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  241.3 KB

Shop door damage and some green paint on the door frame.
Name:  20170414_133849_zpspx3ficko.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  266.2 KB

Here Justin was helping me by pulling the truck out of the shop with the wreck.

Justin would not sign the damage, I had to sign it for him, hehe, Mom and Justin both got a good laugh.

Damage I did with the Ford a while back so I dont have any room for bugging him. The rear of the frame rolled into it when I was trying to get it in the shop.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The old truck is looking better everyday. The dings in the garage add character haha. Have a great weekend!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is going to be a great truck when done!......The one thing about these trucks is you can get every thing you want for them all the inside junk, every pc. of trim all of it from one catalog! I wish the Toyota was like that! Keep it up Terry!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the 76 out of the shop. I was originally going to install a diesel motor in it for pulling a 5th wheel camper. This being a 1/2 ton truck it would take to much work for it support a diesel. So current plans are to go with a 351 Windsor which is a small block. I do not want a big block motor as it just take up too much room in the engine bay and still would only get about 10 miles to the gallon. I will take my chances with a small block.

I had a pretty busy summer so have not been in the shop much at all. Having to learn how to post pictures thanks to Photobucket new change in policy. I will catch up on some previous post from others, just learning how to post pictures today.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-27-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my 77 F-250 460 that I tow my 64 Comet drag car with.Bought 22 years ago from original owner.Look what got in the picture, the front of my 86 Toyota that I bought brand new and have did a few modifications over the years.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Toyjt... Welcome to Yotatech. You have a really nice Ford. I like the chrome trim or the Racetrack and the two tone you have one yours. The blue truck in the top of my other picture, I am in the process of buying for the cab as it is in better shape then mine and for the Racetrack trim. Mine came with the 460 but I am going to down size the motor a little bit, still not sure what I am going with for the motor. Funny that you have an 86 two wheel drive in your picture. I am also in the process of restoring an 87 two wheel pickup and have been tossing around a few ideas for it as well.

One of my friends had a 64 Comet and for a bone stock car, it ran really well. Had some great times in that car and went several places in it. His was the light metallic blue or some color like that. I think nearly all the Comets came in that color back in the day or so it seems. I really want to get started on my 76 here real soon. Just got to get a few things straightened out. Your truck is an inspiration on to what these trucks can look like. Welcome to Yotatech. Post a picture of your Comet when you get a chance.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Terrys87 here's some pics of my 64 Comet I race in the Super Pro class for the last 20 years .
Wife's 69 mustang drag,street car.As you might guess I got my hands full with these two plus 6 other toys that are 2 Mavericks,04 Mach1,05Mustang V6,92 Thunderbird 5.0 and my 86 Toyota 2wd 22R carb 4 speed shortbed thats getting new paint in the next few months.Bought it new in 86,has 260K.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Toyjt.. One of my friends had a Comet just about like that one you have. It was a nice little car and had a lot of fun times in it. I know where two 69 Mustangs are sitting and the guy will not sell them. I also know where two FJ40s are sitting and that guy wont sell them either. All four autos have been sitting for over 10 years that I know of. What a shame.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the 87 Toyota two wheel drive front end all together and it is at the front end shop getting a new alighnment. I will start some body work on it in the near future. I should be getting it back from the shop later this week and hope to get it on the road this week if all goes as planned. I have the hood and bumper on now just have not got the most recent picture.

I bought a 79 Ford van for the motor. It was used in stereo competitions. It has the frame C notched, air bags, custom paint job with flames and skulls in the flames. Some one spent some money on this van. Unfortunately I will be parting it out. It has some slight damage and rust in the floor boards and while it was sitting some one has stolen the wheels off of it and caused further damage. I just bought it for the motor and transmission for my 76.

I have not been on here lately as I was remodeling the house and that took a lot more time and money then I was expecting. I do not care for doing house work but do like the results when done. It is rough on the old body doing that kind of work.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
I am glad to see you back Terrys87!

It always seems that projects, no matter what they are, always take more time and money than we think. I have been helping my dad with a bathroom remodel that was only going to take a few weekends. Three months later we are almost done!

When things start to come together and you start to see what the finished project is going to look like, you start to see your hard work pay off.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I bought this custom van for the drive train. Not sure if it has the 302 or 351 motor in it. It is a shame that I will be scrapping this van. It has a lot of work put into it. It was used for stereo competition but the owners removed all of the stereo for another show vehicle. It has a "C" notched frame, air ride tanks, custom paint, Cadillac tail lights built into the rear end and numerous other things. The owner traded for it for a 51 Ford Coupe and then it got some damage and sat. Some thieves stole the high dollar wheels off of it and did some further damage. It has some rust in the lower body as well. I am taking the drive train out of it and salvage what I can with it. Paid $300 for the van.
Attached Thumbnails 1976 Ford Super Cab Restore-20171213_091455.jpg  

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the two wheel drive legal and running. I am going to keep it for a back up truck. If I can find a Extra cab two wheel cab and frame I will use it for a parts truck to fix that instead. It really needs a new cab to make this truck right. I will use this for a parts runner.

Misty wanted a full size truck. It is a '97 Silverado. It was a one owner truck. It was taken care of but mechanically it was neglected. I have it running great now but it still is not up to par. I got a complete tune up done on it. Plugs, wire, cap, rotor,air filter, and fuel filter. I still need to go thru the sensors and get them into shape. Whether it is a Toyota or Chevy, I learned long ago before even trying to trouble shoot a problem to start out with a good tune up and all hoses and wires in correct order. I worked on a couple of Toyota trucks lately and each one of them has been badly neglected.
Attached Thumbnails 1976 Ford Super Cab Restore-20180422_100650.jpg   1976 Ford Super Cab Restore-20180422_100719.jpg  

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

My green truck had been in an accident and the rear quarter of the cab had been replaced and not correctly. I found this truck. The owner originally wanted $1000 for it. I told him I was looking for a cab and he said if he could have the motor, tranny, seats, and hood he would sell this truck. I got it for $200. The cab is in far better shape then my green one. Typical rust in the cab corners and floor but still far better shape then mine. Also the trim alone which I am wanting to install on mine that the green truck does not have will save me a fortune in work an parts. I am going to combine the best of both trucks to make what I want. I want my truck to be Jade Green so I will be having to do a complete paint job on everything including the interior. Grrrr... I really wasnt wanting to do that. Oh well, It will be what I want when done and I will have this truck new from top to bottom.
Attached Thumbnails 1976 Ford Super Cab Restore-20180422_100518.jpg  

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by old87yota
I am glad to see you back Terrys87!

It always seems that projects, no matter what they are, always take more time and money than we think. I have been helping my dad with a bathroom remodel that was only going to take a few weekends. Three months later we are almost done!

When things start to come together and you start to see what the finished project is going to look like, you start to see your hard work pay off. My 76 is going to be larger project then what I had intended just because of the cab swap and green paint that I will be switching over to but it is going to be what I want when done with it.

Hello old87yota
This house remodeling is getting to be quite long. It is coming along but not as fast as I would like and am ready to be done with it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Other news,i have a friend that works on Toyotas. he is doing all of the mechanical work on the nicest fully loaded 85 Runners I have ever seen. Axles, brakes, steering, engine work and some other odd things. He was not aware of how to fix the no Bright Headlights issue. I showed him how to fix it and got them working. The owner has already spent several thousands on it and when the mechanical work is done it is getting a $5000 paint and body work. I did not get a picture of it but if I get a chance to see it again I will get one. It is NICE!!!

I used the motor out of my 86 Runner for my 85 truck. Justin is working on getting the 86 back together. He wants it for his first truck. I will help him on it but he is doing all of the work and I am going to make him fund the project. I want him to have some blood, sweat and tears into it so that he may respect what goes into building a truck instead of just buying one. He has dreams of lifts, 33 inch tires and such. i support him in it so will see how it works out for him. Currently he is healing up from a bike wreck. Thank God for insurance. 5 Cat scans and $19849 later he is doing better. In the same week both boys were in the emergency room. Hunter ripped his hand open and got 7 stitches. It was his first time to the emergency room. He did not like them having to numb his hand up before the stitches. I told him if they did not numb his hand up, the stitches would hurt real bad. Justin has been stitched up 3 other times and says getting stitches is no big deal. i always thought they hurt.

For 16 years I worked the mid night shift. the boys have gotten older so I finally went to day shift and weekends off. Before I worked night shift and my days off was Thursday and Friday so I had quite a bit of time to myself and spent it on trucks. Getting the house done and slowly getting used to working day shift I do want to get some shop time back in on some of my own projects. Other then fixing some others trucks I have done just the basics to keep my trucks running. Some need some much needed attention.

I mentioned earlier that I had worked on a couple of other peoples Toyotas. One guy bought a 92 4x4 and wanted me to get it back into shape mechanically. It is a truck that most would consider to be in great shape. He brought it to me and I started to show what all I would do to it and why. I would. I showed him the carbon in some hoses that were clogged and told him the Intake was probably worse and not been touched. Steering, shocks, vacuum lines were all probably original as the shocks still said Toyota on them. Nobody goes to Toyota for replacement shocks. At first I think he was a little dismayed and was thinking Toytoas were not as great of a truck as he had heard. I showed him some things on my wifes Chevy and said most applied to it as well. Any 20-30 year old truck is going to need some time and money to get them back into shape. I went with original or better for replacement parts on his truck. It ran alright when he brought it to me and liked how much better it drove and ran when I was done with it. I think it will last him quite a few years and he will be really happy with it.

3 or 4 trucks I have worked on lately whether it is mine or someone elses truck. Start with the basics and make sure the maintenance is in great shape. I was able to fix several issues with just the basics. Had I started just troubleshooting with the symptoms that I was getting from listening to the truck, I would of just been chasing my tail. After I got the basics caught up on them I started looking at the problems I was left and it got much easier afterwards.

I will say I wish I could find some of the information on other sites when working on the Fords and Chevys like I can on Yotatech. Those sites have them some where but is not easily found. Currently I am looking on other sites on good lifting points for a Ford Super Cab and issues with Mistys Chevy truck. I am sure it is out there somewhere but is not as easily found. Yotatech has just about any information you could want on Toyotas. I will stay with the basics and work my way thru my trucks issues.

I am taking a vacation this week just to take care of some business things and to work on my projects this week and will get caught up on what others have been up to.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Hey Terry! I see you're posting again, any updates on the Ford?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1976 Ford Super Cab Restore