Watercraft Boats, personal watercraft, ect

Jet Ski

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Ski

I just came back from the Kawasaki dealership with the papers to an Ultra 150!! Its supposed to be one of their top two sports models. I can't figure that out, most people are racing 3 seaters. This ones a 2 seater so it doesn't have as much stability : Thats ok, I'm not going to race it.

Damn, I am so excited I can barely wait for the weekend!
Have you guys had any experience with these? I am also looking at buying another one thats a few years old, I think its a 900, also a K-saki with less than 50 hrs on it. The guy wants 3k, he said he has to move and can't take it with him. Any info or heads up would be cool, thanks in advance!
Doug
BTW, here is the Ultra:

Last edited by 02Runner; 08-04-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:27 PM

wow that looks sweet!!

I can't wait for the day I have spare $$ for stuff like that.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Doug,

Welcome to the world of Personal Water Craft!! Kawasaki is an excellent choice. I have a 2001 1100 STX-DI three seat because I have two kids and wanted something big enough to haul them and cut through the Eash China Sea/Pacific Ocean chop!!

The Ultra 150 is supposed to be the fastest production ski available at about 66.9 MPH! I went out about two months ago with a guy that had one and I was about 1/4 mile in front of him running wide open on flat water and he was at a dead stop. Not only did he catch me, he SPED PAST me. It's alot smaller than my 1100 but man is it fast.

Team Kawasaki won all the major races last year but they were running the 1200 STX-R. It's cuts throught the water alot cleaner than the smaller Ultra and is also REALLY fast.

I'll send you a couple of web sites when I get home for you to take a look at. There is a good magazine called Personal Water Craft Illustrated that you should subscribe to. I think it's like $18 per year.

You are going to LOVE it. Remember- "With the right vessel, it's easy to get a good crew."
Old 08-04-2003, 09:18 PM

nice ride ; is it turbo-charged? hehe
Old 08-05-2003, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

Doug,

Check out www.watercraft.com.

Here is a picture of mine:

Old 08-05-2003, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Congrats! Kawasaki is the way to go! I have been on Yamaha, Sea Doo, Kawasaki and Tiger (is that the name? Made by artic cat). Anyways, I will say that Kawasaki are the best. I am more into stand up ski's (750 sxi). After I get out of school, I want to get a new 750 SXI stand up and a 3-seater 1100 or 1200 sit down and waterski behind it.

Anyone heard about the Honda Jetski? I wonder how those are, with the turbo. Jet Ski
Old 08-05-2003, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link Woody. If its anything like YotaTech, I'll be home free. Can I put PIAA's on this thing?

I actually looked really hard at the 1100 because it made the most sense for what I wanted to accomplish. Then I caught myself and chose the smaller less stable one. Haha, I'm getting good at this crashing thing. Figured I'd pick up a used 900 to make a pair. I really like the blue, white and tan, I think that makes for a more appealing color scheme. Remember when they all used to be Miami Vice colors ?

SLC: I talked with the salesman and he said that his office has sold maybe three standup model in the last couple of years total. Maybe its the demographics. Most of our population here is older, or families. I guess that contributes to it! That Honda looks like it might have some potential.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 02Runner

SLC: I talked with the salesman and he said that his office has sold maybe three standup model in the last couple of years total. Maybe its the demographics. Most of our population here is older, or families. I guess that contributes to it! That Honda looks like it might have some potential.
No, that sounds about right. There is a very small group at all lakes that still ride on stand-up's. I think that they are going to give it the axe pretty soon. Sit down ski's are more popular because you can have more than 1 person on the water craft.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

Doug,

Also be sure and check out http://www.ultra150.com/.

I went with the 1100 for most of the reasons you probably wanted one. Onboard storage was also a big one for me as well as the stability for pulling a skier or tube.

Anyhow, have fun! Have you taken a safety course or CG course? Are you going out in the Gulf?
Old 08-05-2003, 04:05 PM

My wife finally said I had too many toys and told she wanted some toys....So here is what we bought recently. Not as fancy as the ones above, but they are paid for and in Utah's climate, probably a little wiser to go this route than new considering the actual months they can be used here.

She rides the stand up, holy cow, too much work for me! Im happy with both. And they sure look awesome behind the Tundra or the Land Cruiser!

Last edited by WildYoats; 08-05-2003 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

That's a nice setup WildYoats!

I couldn't handle not being able to go out on the water for 8 months a year!
Old 08-05-2003, 07:48 PM

nice ride,

i have an old 95 xp & 02 gtx
this summer has been a kick in the pants

http://community.webshots.com/album/78424961JlsxGl
Old 08-06-2003, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Those are both sweet set ups, Yoats and Unlimited. Maybe one day we could meet at a central point to wheel and ski. We could take the Pan Am Hwy south!!
I am jealous of your collection there Yoats! That is a sweet group of autos!

I am taking a boater safety course, mostly to save money on insurance. Where I live in SW Fla, the Gulf is the main option. It's great, very similar to Oki's western bays. After the rains go away in the evening it gets hot with no wind and the gulf becomes flat glass. During the day, the rains to our east cause wind that keeps waves from getting any size at all, so its nearly flat 85% of the time.

By the way: What kind of insurance coverage do you guys have?

Last edited by 02Runner; 08-06-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:21 PM

Heres my 94 Polaris 750. Its been gps tested at between 49 and 53 mph depending on the weight of the rider and water conditions. I bought it used a few years ago with a new engine. I have not had it out at all this year yet. Had lots of other things to do. Also I have been cleaning up its fuel system. Previous owner, when they installed the new engine, used carbs from a 780. Same carb except it has cool looking flame arrestors and seperate fuel inputs. It has 3 carbs. The origional fuel pump on these 750s was known to be weak and would run lean. They used the 780 carbs and installed 3 single fuel pumps. Rubber hose was all over the engine bay. I pulled the pumps and reran the hose and made a very tidy install. Looking to take it out this weekend for a run.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:24 AM
Contributing Member

Nice pic. I've heard a lot of good things about Polaris.

BTW: You guys should check out a couple of this link. It has a ton of info.

PWC Today Good forum
Old 08-09-2003, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

So Doug,

Did you get that bad boy out on the water yet?

I have liability insurance only. Costs about $85 per year.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:28 AM
Contributing Member

Woody, I have not put the ski into the water yet the dealer still has it and is waiting for my Shredmaster ride plate. It should be in on Tuesday

I ordered just after I bought the ski. Many people have said the Ultra 150 is skiddish at best with OEM plate while riding at high speeds on rough water. The S.M. plate makes it track true. I also ordered sponsons by Agressor and a new intake grate made by Solas! I want to be under control when I first take it out. For anyone that doesn't know, these are the main compnonents when addressing handling. Intake Grate solves Porpoising, Sponsons address turning ability without leeward slip, Ride Plate is what the PWC really travels on at higher speeds, it on the bottom rear of the ski.

I'm also going to have only liability insurance, my company is GE auto & home. they've been great so far. thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

Doug,

Beach House Sponsons are good as well. Most racers like these, but hold on in turns!!! It's really easy to get more G's on a turn than your arms can take! And just let go. Don't try to hold on if you feel like your going. You can get an ankle caught in the gunwhale and that isn't pretty.

The ride plate should help alot, although the Ultra shoudn't popoise much. If it does, your going to slow!

You may also want to consider a spalsh guard for around the bow to keep the spray down.

Also- be sure and flush after every use in salt water. I bought the Kawasaki flush kit and some stuff called Salt Away. The salt water is hard on these babys.

Let me know if you have any Q'S.