Motorcycles Motorcycles of any kind including ATVs

ATV and Off-roaders caution

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATV and Off-roaders caution

:Rant On: I just went on a trail ride tonight to clear my head a little. This trail is up in the mountainous area just about 15 minutes from where I live, so I go up there and enjoy my ride in my 4Runner. This is an easy ride, just mainly miles of gravel later to turn into ruts and a little bit of interesting things. I'm rounding a blind corner when out from the middle of nowhere an ATV comes flying around the curve and almost nailed me head on. Had he hit me, he probably couldve been killed or at least hurt very badly. It shook me up a little, the guy just skids to a stop and just turns wider around me like nothing ever happened! There is a speed limited posted at the main gates that says 15mph!! Keep in mind this is a mountain area so there are PLENTY of sharp and blind curves. Just posting a reminder for those who ride, just be careful and be aware that there are other people on trails you ride hikers, bikers, 4wheelers, off-roaders, and etc.. :Rant Off:
Old 04-04-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once had a similar experince. One of my friends had just got a new Z 400 when they just came out, and so we all deccided to go riding. There was three of us total and we were taking turns leading. I was the first one up and my friend who had the Z 400 decided he would go off without letting us know. So me thinking there was no one on the trail to worry about , I take a turn and sure enough he comes flying around the same turn heading straight for me. I was able to come to a full stop but he had to much momentum to fully stop. He ended up hitting my front left tire dead on. His 400 then fliped over down the side of the trail bending his front wheel and also bending the rear axle. Now from this day forward I use way more caution when riding trails. It was an definate life lesson for us that day.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:57 PM

Tread Lightly!, it applies to more than just plants and trees.

Lamm
Old 04-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

scary stuff. glad everyone is OK. It is advisable to honk your horn a couple times when coming around a blind corner. At least then the other rider can't say he wasn't warned.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tanto
scary stuff. glad everyone is OK. It is advisable to honk your horn a couple times when coming around a blind corner. At least then the other rider can't say he wasn't warned.

I thought of that myself when I first started riding, but the same trail is Game Management land and there are hunters everywhere. Make enough noise to scare the game away then you might get shot at. TREAD lightly is exactly right! It irks me because there are so many Wildlife Study areas in there as well with signs saying to keep out as to not disturb wildlife, but I see people with ATVs going everywhere in there. I bet if the trails were wide enough then some lamebrains would also go in with their vehicles as well.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

I totally agree that sometimes you have to respect hunters in relation to honking your horn, but you may save a life whereas the hunter will just miss out on a shot. Just a thought.

Do people really get shot in South Caroline for disturbing the wildlife with their horns?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Just had a guy killed not a mile from my house yesterday on an ATV. And he wasn't the first on the property to die either. You gotta be careful on a ATV!
link:
http://www.theitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS01/104040142
Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
:Rant On:
Damn glad no one got hit... that would have been really nasty...
Old 04-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tanto
I totally agree that sometimes you have to respect hunters in relation to honking your horn, but you may save a life whereas the hunter will just miss out on a shot. Just a thought.

Do people really get shot in South Caroline for disturbing the wildlife with their horns?

Well this area is known to be a rough necked area. There is a bar called "Scatter Brain Johnson" on the way to this trail so a lot of rough people hang out and drink and whatnot. There have been some problems with hunters shooting at other hunters because they were fighting over "their spot." But to my point, I'm just glad I didn't hit the guy because that wouldve been on my guilt even though I wasn't at fault. This area was also known not too long ago to have a major marijuanna bust, nearly a million dollars worth of pot growing on one side of the mountains. I posted it up earlier this year, but same Game Managment Area.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Gotta love our state! Shoot first ask questions later.

Now where did I put that bulletproof glass....
Old 04-06-2006, 02:08 PM

Good reminder, getting my ATV this Saturday.

I should be alright here since it's against the law to have any fun in your 4x4 and arent allowed on 90% of the parks in my state and is why I'm having to get an ATV.