Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

4Runner Soft Top

Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 4Runner Soft Top

I can have copies of this soft top made & was wondering if anyone was intrested in buying one.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Wow, that looks great, ive been thinking of trying to make one that would look somewhat like that. Im definately interested. How is it attached everywhere, specifially over the tailgate? How tight is it? Does it have any support members? What is it made out of? How easy is it to put up? So basically whatever information you have on it and maybe somemore pics of how it attaches? Also important, how much would it cost? Also thinking of shipping here...
Thats sweet though, also im very poor, but very interested...
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah me too that looks nice better then mine lol but mine is all clear though and runs on the botom all the way upo to the front then up for a back window
Old 04-04-2007, 05:30 AM

How much do they cost, and how much for shipping? I'm very interested.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:17 AM

It has a 3 piece frame that bolts to the hard top bolt holes (I did drill a couple of extra holes in the back of the cab just to get a tight seal), 2 long ones down each side & 1 curved one that goes over the back of the cab. My rear window does zip up each side & can be rolled up & secured for air flow out the back. It uses the existing roll bar for the upper support in the back (straps to secure it to the bar). The only mod you need to make to the body is to pop rivit the snaps across the back. My top is made out of vynal but I have priced it up using Sunbrella as well.For the top you see in the pics it will cost $470 Cdn (406.61 US) & that includes top, frame & taxes. You have to pay for S&H (I'm going to price that up soon & post). The Sunbrella will be about $80 more, making it $550 Cdn ($475.90 US).
I have been looking into a bikini top & cargo area cover that would go with this frame (one frame will work for all 3) & I'll be checking on the pricing for those as well. There is a good possibility that you can get the bikini top and/or cargo area cover individually as well. I would just make smaller frames for those but still bolting to the origional hard top holes.
One improvement that I'll probably be getting for my top is to have the sides of the top removable (zippered out). This could eliminate the need for a bikini top.

I have driven 100 Kmh (65mph) in a driving rain storm & have had no water come in. I have had this top for about 10 yrs & only just replaced the windows this year. In the last few years I have used a silcone spray around the seams just to make sure that they wouldn't leak.

Any changes to the origional top would change the price but the shop is very reasonable. I did price the difference for tinted windows for example & it will cost $10 extra ($8.70 US). For that difference in price I should have got mine tinted (I got clear).

Set up is easy, remove hard top, bolt frame to body, snap on top, secure straps to roll bar (velcro around them), mark & pop rivit snaps to tailgate (first time only). It takes me about 3-4 minutes to put the top on & 30 seconds to take it off.

If you are considering ordering one, let me know as much info as possible as to what you want (ie: vynal or sunbrella, color, zippered sides, bikini, cargo area cover, etc) & i can get a price & let you know before we order it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:00 PM

I will be able to start taking orders & it will be on a first come first serve basis. I will need some of the monies up front to pay for the materials & the balance at shipping.
The shop has asked me to give them a 2 week window because they are starting to get a little busy so the sooner you order the better. If I get a couple of orders at the same time I'm hoping that they will be able to make the tops at the same time.
Let me know what exactly you want (material, color, etc), & I'll let you know exactly what it will cost before I order it. That way we'll all be on the same page.
I did check to see what S&H will be. An example was to ship to Bozeman MT, not knowing exactly what the weight is I guessed about 45 lbs & it should cost about $70 Cdn.
Let me know when you are ready to order.

Jeff

Last edited by Topless4runner; 04-14-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 PM

Any intrest??
Old 04-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Banned

too expensive
Old 04-15-2007, 06:24 PM

I've checked around & Can Backs were what ?? $1200 US before taxes I think. Can you even get them anymore?? Then there's the one that looks like a hearse & that one's $800 US before taxes. The bikini top & boot (cover for the top when it's down) are $200 !!! Now those are too expensive.
But for just a few dollars over $400 taxes included, that's less than 1/2 the price as the hearse top. Expensive?? IMOA I thought it was a pretty cheap price.
Any other opinions??
Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 PM

soft top

i dont think its THAT expensive, hes right, ive looked into it, and they (CAN-BACKS-ugly http://www.can-back.com, kayline www.specialtytopco.com/prices.htm) are alot more expensive. PLUS this is a unique idea. For example, how bout a price quote for a black sunbrella, tinted zip-off windows, shipped to 86018? (northern arizona) thanks!

Edited: To add this link in replacement of the specialty top co website... apparently they went out of business?! http://www.thejeep.com/stc/toyota.html

Last edited by 86napoleon; 04-24-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added links...
Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 86napoleon
i dont think its THAT expensive, hes right, ive looked into it, and they (CAN-BACKS-ugly http://www.can-back.com, kayline www.specialtytopco.com/prices.htm) are alot more expensive. PLUS this is a unique idea. For example, how bout a price quote for a black sunbrella, tinted zip-off windows, shipped to 86018? (northern arizona) thanks!
Thanks for your feedback. I knew that some people would understand where I was comming from.
I'm in the process of getting an order done for someone in RI for a black sunbrella top with tinted windows & that's going to be $560 Cdn before shipping. I checked with UPS & it'll cost somewhere around $50-$70 Cdn to ship there depending on the weight. I've got to call the shop on the order in the morning & I'll check on the cost for the zippered windows. I'll post it tomorrow.
Remember $560 Cdn is only $515.20 US for the sunbrella top with tinted windows. The vynal top would be $480 Cdn with tinted windows, that's $441.60 US.

Jeff

Last edited by Topless4runner; 04-22-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:16 PM

Looks great, I would be interested in one with zip out tinted windows. Shipping to 92021(San Diego)
Old 04-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Last edited by User 051420; 08-23-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 PM

patiently waiting for my turn to place an order...
Old 04-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by 86napoleon
patiently waiting for my turn to place an order...
There is no waiting list. If I get a few orders I'll let you know what kind of a time frame the shop gives me for each top. The frames I can do over a couple of evengings or on a Saturday. The sooner you order the sooner you can get your top.
Basically the vynal top is $470 Cdn & the sunbrella top is $550 Cdn. Tinted windows would be $10 Cdn more. The exchange rate has been fluxuating a little lately (it was at 87c on the dollar & right now it's about 92c on the dollar) so what I'm going to do is keep the prices quoted at Cdn & do the exchange rate at the time of the order.
I asked for a quote for the zip out side windows & the shop will be getting back to me tomorrow. I'll post it as soon as I can.
I do thank those of you that have given me feedback (good or not so good). I appriciate the honesty.

Jeff
Old 04-24-2007, 07:38 PM

The shop is not sure exactly how much it will cost to add the zip out side windows, but they quoted me a max of $75 extra. This would eliminate the need for a bikini top making this top multifunctional.
The bottom line would be for a vynal top with tinted windows & zip out side windows it would be $555 Cdn & the same top in sunbrella would be $635 Cdn. These prices are the max it will cost for the zip out sides. I am going to be making a trip over to the shop probably this weekend to pick up one top & I'll see about getting a better price on the zippered sides.

Here's a question I would like to know. if you had the choice, would you have the zipper come down infront of the rollbar or have it go as far back along the side as possible (following the roof line to the rollbar & then down at the same angle as the back)? This will also depend on how the top will work with the zip out sides. Thanks for you feedback.

Jeff
Old 04-25-2007, 08:49 AM

It would seem easier to zip out the side before the roll bar. Kinda like the YJ soft top. I will send a PM for my order.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:19 PM

New Pics

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM

my 2cents..

i think it looks good! i hope i can get the brackets to hold mine that perfectly. one thing i would like better tho, is if it had bigger windows all around. like if the side windows extended past the roll bar, since we're used to being able to see outside right there. and possibly the back window extending downward a bit farther. any chance of that happening?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:31 PM

86napoleon, you have to remember that these tops are "Custom", whatever you want is what I take to the shop. Now within reason, almost anything can be done to these tops as long as the outside dimensions are the same so that they will fit on the frames I make. If you want bigger windows that go all the way back past the rollbar, I dont see that being a very big problem. It also wouldn't be a problem to make the back window longer but I dont know how much it would help out back. Check this pic.

You mentioned getting the brackets to hold yours that tight. Are you making your own?
The updated pics of the sunbrella top are of a top that I'm shipping to Rhode Island. The frame is made to bolt to the origional hard top bolt holes with the snaps being pop rivited to the tailgate.

Side rail bolted to the hard top bolt holes.

As long as you get the snaps tight across the tailgate, this top would fit as tight on your runner (or any '84-'89 runner). The runner in RI is going to post some pics for me once he gets the top & I'll post them here.

Jeff

Last edited by Topless4runner; 05-10-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4Runner Soft Top