Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

4Runner Soft Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very interested. Is there anyway to make it extend to the end of the bed before coming down?
Old 05-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I am very interested. Is there anyway to make it extend to the end of the bed before coming down?
wouldnt that take away from the uniqueness of this softop? the best part, in my opinion, is that is has no bars- nothing to break or malfunction. anything that resembles the hardtop is gonna have bars. i have seen a few others like what youre lookin for, theyre posted here on this forum. kepp diggin

Originally Posted by Topless4runner

You mentioned getting the brackets to hold yours that tight. Are you making your own?
Jeff
emm, no im getting one thru you, remember? i just meant, i hope i can get mine to look that good, when i get it. i can see how makin the back window bigger doesnt really help in ur case. but for me, i dont have stock seats. the backs are lower than yours, so i could use the window space.
-cheers
Old 05-11-2007, 10:13 AM

custom?

hey jeff, what do you think of this idea, could you show it to the shop and see what they say?

the idea is just to make the windows more symetrical and bigger. in the bottom one, i drew the white line to define the angle of the proposed window. thanks again!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
Hayes, thanks for your intrest. I've had alot of people ask if a square back like the hard top could be done. I have thought about it & I've got a few ideas that I may run past the shop in the comming weeks once the rush for the boat tops slows down.
Any modifications would be off of the frames I'm making now & I'm toying with the idea of making the two tops (slant back & square back) interchangable, so those of you who may buy one now & decide you want the square back as well could get the square top & the rest of the frame (rear supports to make it square). My mind is always rolling. lol.

Jeff.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would want a square back.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:04 PM

emm, no im getting one thru you, remember? i just meant, i hope i can get mine to look that good, when i get it. i can see how makin the back window bigger doesnt really help in ur case. but for me, i dont have stock seats. the backs are lower than yours, so i could use the window space.
-cheers[/QUOTE]

86Napoleon, yours will look this good because I make each top to match my origional frame & copy that frame to the new one. I test fitted the sunbrella top on my frame & it fit just as tight.
As for the bigger windows, that shouldn't be a problem. The rear window could be extended down to a couple of inches from the bottom edge & that'll give you the best view out back.

How far would you want the side windows to go back? Just past the roll bar, or on back following the roof line down?

Let me know & we'll get your top going.

Jeff.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Red face emm not sure what happend to this before

i posted these pix earlier, but they never showed? im posting them on here instead of PMing you so others can see my idea, and might like it. trying again:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ow/runner1.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ow/runner2.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ow/runner3.jpg

in the back, only extending it about2-3 inches down from the original, i want a good distance between the window and those rear snaps. (4inches?)
please also, id like at least 2 inches separating all windows and seams. (symetry)
for the sides, the idea would be to keep the window lines symetrical with the body lines. i think that triangle window in the rear looks sweet, while keeping that major seamline around the rollbar. pass this idea on to the shop n see what they say? hopefully this post works. thx yea

Last edited by 86napoleon; 05-11-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 PM

This looks sweet!
I've been searching for a soft top for my '87 Runner but thought the others were too expensive.
I would also like the windows larger to eliminate blind spots. The last pix with the split window mirroring the roll bar looks like what I had in mind. Would you be able to easily unsnap the back to fold the tailgate down to slide stuff in??? Am I seeing a split running up from the back to make a flap opening??? Is this held down with velcro??
So for a black, Sunbrella, with tinted windows will cost approx $500ish USD???

Last edited by rosetree; 05-14-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:58 PM

Can you sew straps in so the back can be rolled up and secured while driving?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by rosetree
This looks sweet!
I've been searching for a soft top for my '87 Runner but thought the others were too expensive.
I would also like the windows larger to eliminate blind spots. The last pix with the split window mirroring the roll bar looks like what I had in mind. Would you be able to easily unsnap the back to fold the tailgate down to slide stuff in??? Am I seeing a split running up from the back to make a flap opening??? Is this held down with velcro??
So for a black, Sunbrella, with tinted windows will cost approx $500ish USD???
Rosetree, The top in the pics (without the extra window mods) is $560 Cdn (about $520 USD). I'll be checking this weekend on the extra windows & post the difference.
The back window has heavy duty zippers under those flaps (held down with velcro). The back window can be rolled up & secured with the straps included.

The strap comming out the front of the rollbar is actually two straps that secure around the rollbar (didn't secure them). The longer strap hanging down behind the rollbar is the strap the is used to secure the back window up.
The back window can be unsnapped from the tailgate to make it easy to drop the tailgate & get things in & out.
Let me know if you have anyother questions.

Jeff
Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Can you make one that is more vertical at the rear?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM

I like these last pics 86napoleon posted, but heres what I'm thinking. Take the center part of the top like a bikini top and make all 3 sides zip off. Then on the corners on the rollbar, make hooks in there so you can strap the corners down to the bed and you have a bikini top also. I guess think of it as you could take each side off individually. Let me know a price on that in sunbrella and tinted windows.

Last edited by dsmbuddy; 05-18-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:21 PM

I'd be fine if the sides just rolled up like the back does, to the point where it would be like a bikini top. I was wondering about a bracer over the tailgate that would attach to the side frame and hold the back, just cause i dont like the sound of riveting my tailgate...guess its not that bad though.

dsmbuddy, is that like a trailer hitch dirt bike carrier? me likey.....
Old 05-18-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Topless4runner
Rosetree, The top in the pics (without the extra window mods) is $560 Cdn (about $520 USD). I'll be checking this weekend on the extra windows & post the difference.
The back window has heavy duty zippers under those flaps (held down with velcro). The back window can be rolled up & secured with the straps included.

The strap comming out the front of the rollbar is actually two straps that secure around the rollbar (didn't secure them). The longer strap hanging down behind the rollbar is the strap the is used to secure the back window up.
The back window can be unsnapped from the tailgate to make it easy to drop the tailgate & get things in & out.
Let me know if you have anyother questions.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff....it just gets better and better!
What kind of production time are you looking at now?
Old 05-19-2007, 08:38 AM

yep, dirtbike hitch carrier. i wanted a pickup, but found the 4runner first and this is my solution to get the bike around. its not too bad, the wheels stick out about a foot on either side of the truck, so i gotta watch closly when drivin with it on. im just worried about someone rear-ending me!! i actually just got a 3rd brakelight off a chevy blazer im gonna put on.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
note to self: get first-gen 4runner so i could have a soft top
Old 05-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Like this

And it folds down at the rear

And the back window rolls up into it
Old 05-20-2007, 10:58 PM

4runnerx3, I looked at that one & it reminded me of a hearse. I didn't like the amount of material from the window back to the tail. I am going to check with the shop & see what we can come up with for a square back. I dont think I'll incorporate the glass back window, that'll take alot more fabricating & I really dont want to be responsible for anyones rear glass falling out on the road. I'll keep you posted.

Rosetree, Shop was closed this weekend so I'll be getting ahold of them first of the week. I'll let you know.

Dsmbuddy, I'll look into your setup. I'll also check what a bikini top would cost so you can decide which you want to go with.

Punkotheclown, the pop rivits are pretty much what keep the top snug along the top as well as keeping the elements out of the back. Roll up sides are a possibility. I'll check with the shop.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 PM

I like the fact that the top folds down to the rear and you can use the rear window. I'm not crazy about the side window either.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by 86napoleon

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ow/runner1.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ow/runner2.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ow/runner3.jpg

in the back, only extending it about2-3 inches down from the original, i want a good distance between the window and those rear snaps. (4inches?)
please also, id like at least 2 inches separating all windows and seams. (symetry)
for the sides, the idea would be to keep the window lines symetrical with the body lines. i think that triangle window in the rear looks sweet, while keeping that major seamline around the rollbar. pass this idea on to the shop n see what they say? hopefully this post works. thx yea
Got ahold of the shop today & they've quoted me an extra $50 for the bigger windows & the trangular one in the back corner. That would make it $610 Cdn (somewhere around $560 US depending on the exchange).
Let me know if this is OK.

Jeff

Quick Reply: 4Runner Soft Top