Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

4Runner Soft Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmbuddy
I like these last pics 86napoleon posted, but heres what I'm thinking. Take the center part of the top like a bikini top and make all 3 sides zip off. Then on the corners on the rollbar, make hooks in there so you can strap the corners down to the bed and you have a bikini top also. I guess think of it as you could take each side off individually. Let me know a price on that in sunbrella and tinted windows.
Shop has quoted me an extra $75 for the zip out sides (one getting done right now) & $25 for the zip out back. The good thing is that there would still be some material running down to the corners in the back, keeping the top tight (about 4 inches wide, 3-4 snaps). If you think about it you could save youself some money & keep the back window as is & just roll it up. The three zipouts would make it $660 Cdn (about $615 US). The zipout sides only would be $635 Cdn (about $ 590 US).
Let me know what you think.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 PM

Orders

In talking with the shop today I asked about getting multipule orders done at the same time. They've asked me to get back to them with some numbers so here is what I'm going to ask of all those that are interested. If you are serious about getting a top, PM me with what you want over the next couple of days, I have a pretty good idea of what some of you are looking for but PM me anyways.
The shop was asking me for a two week window to get the tops done because of their work load, but if they get a couple of days where they are not that busy, they would be able to get several done. If I had several orders I think they would make the time to get them done. I've got a meeting with them later this week & I'd like to go there with several solid interests (what I'm looking for are interests ready to send the prepayment as soon as the shop gives me the ok). So if you are ready to order, PM me with what you want & I'll take it with me to the meeting (probably Thursday night).
Hope to hear from ya'll soon.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2007, 05:39 PM

Jeff:
....just thinking here....
can there be straps sewn on the inside so the side flaps can be folded in from the point in the back and then rolled up and velcroed at the top by the straps so that you can get a bikini type top? I guess that it (the top) would be held on with the snaps in the front and the velcro straps to the roll bar.
I would like to get the most versatility out of the top....;^)
Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM

Hey, I was just thinking to simplify my plan, you could just extend the zippers from the rear all the way up so the sides zip off, then just roll up the rear and attach a strap to each rear corner.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:34 PM

Ok no meeting tonight, hopefully tomorrow night (Friday night). I would like to know how many tops we are looking at here. From the replys & the PM's I've got I'm thinking in the ballpark of 3-4 right now, so if you haven't sent me a PM I would appriciate it so I know if we are looking at more than that.
As for the suggestions (dsmbuddy & rosetree) I think we are all on the same page with opening the top up as much as possible. With the zip out sides & the roll up back I think this will be what you are looking for. The corners will be held down with the one snap at the back corner (just to the outside of the tailgate opening) & a couple of snaps at the back of the rail when the back window is rolled up & the sides zipped out. This will leave about a 4 inch wide piece still snaped to the back keeping the top tight (along with the two velcro straps around the rollbar). I dont think there will be a need for extra straps to keep the top tight (like most bikini tops use). I'm hoping to get the next top soon (with the zip out sides) & I'm going to test my theory before I ship it out & of course I'll post some pics of that one as well.
If I dont get any more PM's for intrest, the next order after this one will probably be going out in a month or so. If you want to get in on this order let me know, there is still room for more. Even if you do order & there are some changes we can still do that. All the intrest is leaning towards the same style so changes can be made on the fly.

Jeff.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 AM

Has anyone recieved a Top from Jeff?
I ordered one, paid 75% of price, in April and have not received it yet! I have sent a few emails over the past week with no response. I would prefer the top over a refund, so I hope all is well.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM

yes

i too would like to know if anyone else has got one? even how that guy in new hampshire liked his. wasnt he supposed to post pix?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:44 AM

I ordered one also. I sent the $$$ on 5/27 and he said that it would be about 2 weeks after the $$$ cleared to get it done. That would be next Monday. If he was waiting on a few of them (yours and mine included), it looks like it might be next week before we hear from him...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:13 PM

Just received a message from Jeff. His computer died and he had to put a new power supply in. He is going to the shop to test the top with the zip out windows. If all fits right I should have mine by next week.
All in all it wasn't that bad. He made a $ht load of changes and didn't charge that much extra, $30-$50, for his time.
I will post any additional changes, and pics when I get the top.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by toona
Just received a message from Jeff. His computer died and he had to put a new power supply in. He is going to the shop to test the top with the zip out windows. If all fits right I should have mine by next week.
All in all it wasn't that bad. He made a $ht load of changes and didn't charge that much extra, $30-$50, for his time.
I will post any additional changes, and pics when I get the top.
toona:
I got a response to my PM fromJeff that said pretty much the same thing. Gonna have to just wait a little more time...
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Toona & Rosetree PM's sent.
My computer's been down for the last week with a burned up power supply. I was amazed that it came back on today after my wife put in the new power supply. After all the smoke I thought it was toast.
Anyways back to the topic. I have been having a bit of a problem with my top supplyer. I've got a meeting this Thursday night to fit Toona's top to make sure that the windows & zippers fit, & I'm hopping to get things speeded up a bit better.
The top I sent to Rhode Island is comming back for an improvement. The plate on the side of the rollbar where the threaded hole is for the rear shoulder seatbelt straps was wearing the sunbrella material. His top & all other tops will have a backing strip to prevent the rollbar from wearing the top. I never had to deal with this because my top is vynal. It's the only part of the top that would be in contact with anything except for the edges that are already trimmed with a heaver material. Was not something that I had figured into the design. Always room for improvement I guess.
I'll keep you all posted now that I can.

Jeff.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 AM

soft top

Does any one have any pictures they can post of the tops with mods? I am leaning toward the original design. My only questions is, can the sides and back be rolled up? And are there straps to hold them up? If not, what is the cost to add them?

The only reason I would have them down is during any heavy rain, so I would use it most of the time as a bikini top.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mudlover
Does any one have any pictures they can post of the tops with mods? I am leaning toward the original design. My only questions is, can the sides and back be rolled up? And are there straps to hold them up? If not, what is the cost to add them?

The only reason I would have them down is during any heavy rain, so I would use it most of the time as a bikini top.
Mudlover, what we have come to discover is that the side will work as zip out sides, & the back window does roll up & is secured with straps. Where the design is a fastback style, the zip out sides are pretty much the only way to do it. There will be 3-4 snaps left attached ay the back corners to hold the top in place (about 4 inch wide piece of material). I should be able to have pics the first of next week. Were you looking for the sunbrella material?

Jeff
Old 06-13-2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Topless4runner
Mudlover, what we have come to discover is that the side will work as zip out sides, & the back window does roll up & is secured with straps. Where the design is a fastback style, the zip out sides are pretty much the only way to do it. There will be 3-4 snaps left attached ay the back corners to hold the top in place (about 4 inch wide piece of material). I should be able to have pics the first of next week. Were you looking for the sunbrella material?

Jeff
Thanks. I would like to see the pictures. As for the material, I have not decided. If the sunbrella is more like a canvas, that might be what I would go with.

By the way, has any one had one made that is squared off in the back. I do like the way the old specialty tops look.

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Mudlover, sunbrella is a breathable material that most boat tops are made of. It's weight is about 1/2 of my vynal top. I have never used it before I started making these tops so honestly I can not tell you how well it will hold up. I can tell you that I've had my vynal top for over 10 yrs & other than getting the occasional stiching redone, it has held up very well. I've driven 60 mph in a driving rain storm & it has not leaked. I do like the looks of the sunbrella tops, & it is easier to make custom changes to it.
As for a square back that is something that I've been asked about a great deal lately. I do have some ideas, but I need to finish the fastback orders I've got on the go before I can look into that.
Thanks for your intrest & let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeff
Old 06-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Toona & Rosetree, I'm hopping to get over to the shop in the next day or so to look/pick up Toona's top & see what timeframe I can get for Rosetree's top.
Just to let you guys know I am getting a little frustrated with how long it's taking so I do understand your frustration. I will see what I can do to speed this up (mainly for Rosetree, Toona's top should be done). I have stopped taking orders until this back log is cleared because I want them done & out the door before I give the shop any more business.
I'll keep you informed.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 PM

Ok here's the update no one wants, including me. The shop shop has not gotten back to me this week (too busy). I'm going to pick up the RI top from UPS tomorrow (returning for the fix/upgrade) & I'll be dropping it off at the shop. Hopefully I can get an answer. I'll be away for the next week, so they have that time to fix the RI top & get the others done. I've got a line on another shop that may be willing to do the tops. They do mostly upolstry work but have done car tops as well. The only thing is that they are about two hours away from me. I'll be checking on them after I get back. My brother lives an hour past them & I visit him about once a month so seeing as some of these tops are taking more than a month to do I think I can make this work.
I'll keep you all updated.

Jeff.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 PM

i want one!!!!

Just because i am a lady does not mean that I dont know what i am talking about. I am now on my #2 first gen. yota that I have rebuilt- So please dont talk to me like I am dumb, sence everyone else that i have come in contact with has. the Q's is were can i get a soft top that I dont have to pay an arm and a leg 4?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM

No Top Yet

I paid for a top in April and I have yet to receive it. I trusted this guy,but now I think it's a SCAM. He has stopped returning e-mails and the last thing he told me was he had my top fitted and ready to ship a month ago.

Last edited by toona; 08-23-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:42 AM

Toona & Rosetree, PM'S sent.
I just want to let everyone know that these delays are not something that I wanted to happen. I wanted to make a good soft top that everyone could enjoy, as I've enjoyed for the last several years.
I've been sitting on Toona's & Rosetree's frames for about two months now. I was told one thing from the shop & here we sit still waiting. I hope to have this problem resolved in the next few days.
I've mentioned it before but I'll repeat myself here. I am not taking any more orders until I can get things sorted out with the shop or I can get the tops done through another shop, so for those of you that have PMed me, I'm going to wait. I know that the shop will be looking for work to do during the winter months so maybe I'll get some done then for next summer.
As soon as I can get some new pics I'll post them. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Jeff

Quick Reply: 4Runner Soft Top