Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

VW Diesel Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know for a fact that MKIII gasoline jetta's/golfs/cabrios don't have attached tranies.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Tranny is attached on my TDi. He made an adapter plate to allow the block to bolt to the bellhousing for his Toyota tranny.

Are you confusing a transaxle - the transmission and axle are a single unit.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 AM

ok then the diesels must be different. cause on the 2.0 and the VR6 the trannies are separable, maybe the 1.8T but i have no idea about the TDI.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 AM

I have never heard of the engine block being part of the trans. How would you service the clutch? Take the trans apart? Sounds like something a car company would do though.

I index drilled the flywheel today and bored out the center to 43mm. I have not tried it on yet but will when I get home. This weekend I plan to bolt the 1.6 block to the trans in the truck and see how it looks. Start making the engine mounts from there. With the trans sitting in the truck it looks like it sits off to the passenger side of the truck a bit? I will take some measurements but it looks that way. I am going to try and use the stock mounts on the frame if I can but the block is a lot shorter so I will see how it goes.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool build dude, id like to check it out some time, not allllll truck frames look like that, my 89 isnt nearly that bad, but in the winter i powerwash the frame every week...
sometime in the summer id like to drop by...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM

ya your right Greg. My DD is an 89 as well and the frame on it is in better shape. I was going to use this truck but then I would have to fix the other one for the road then take my DD apart and bla bla bla. So I desided to just use that one as it need work anyways. Oh ya and don't EVER buy a vehical off of FLEABAY. That is where this truck for the build came from. Needless to say I didn't get a deal..........
Old 01-25-2008, 10:18 AM

When you do get it all done and ready for on the road go down to the registration office and bring in your registry slip and get it changed to a diesel. It doesn't cost anything and only takes a few mins. Then it would be all good for the emissions stuff. I don't have to do emissions on my truck but if I did it would only have to pass 1980 standards as when you swap a motor the vehicle is considered a hot rod. And diesel testing is easy as well. You just bring the truck in and they sit there and watch the truck idle for 5 mins and see if there is any smoke that comes out. Very simple. Again I never get tested but I checked up on it just to see what one would need to do.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:42 AM

this is simply amazing. i am speechless. and i don't mean this in a negative way but "why"? why for the love of god? and again, don't take it the wrong way but do you just have all sorts of spare time on your hands (and money) that you don't know what to do with? (i barely have time to change my own oil and check the tire pressure!). is this your full time hobby? maybe full time job?? do you enjoy big challenges in your life and derive pleasure from over coming them and haveing really strange vehicles? or is this just easy and fun for you? i'm just asking b/c a project like this just seems like my worst nightmare. it would never cross my mind to attempt it and even if it did i would never actually come close to starting it. i'm just simply blown away and amazed...and in a way very impressed even though i will probably never get it.

Last edited by michalik_piotr; 01-25-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. I own an ALH TDI. One of these days I may attempt this in an older 4Runner... heh heh have you checked out tdiclub.com?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
this is simply amazing. i am speechless. and i don't mean this in a negative way but "why"? why for the love of god? and again, don't take it the wrong way but do you just have all sorts of spare time on your hands (and money) that you don't know what to do with? (i barely have time to change my own oil and check the tire pressure!). is this your full time hobby? maybe full time job?? do you enjoy big challenges in your life and derive pleasure from over coming them and haveing really strange vehicles? or is this just easy and fun for you? i'm just asking b/c a project like this just seems like my worst nightmare. it would never cross my mind to attempt it and even if it did i would never actually come close to starting it. i'm just simply blown away and amazed...and in a way very impressed even though i will probably never get it.
hahaha. I don't have that much time really. I work 40hrs a week, have 2 kids and the usual stuff that has to be done. I work an hour a night maybe on the truck and then a few hours on the weekend. Spend the other time with the kids. I guess I just like to make things better. Engineer at heart. I just put some KX 450 (motocross bike) forks on my KLR650(duelsport bike).

Also if Toyota had sold diesels here more then I probebly would have just gone and bought an old one. Can't do that so I make my own! If there is something I want and I can't get it at a reasonable price or it is crap, I make my own. I get a lot of satisfaction out of that, as do a lot of guys on here that engineer their own stuff. I am also a cheap bastard

As for money for this project. It is not costing me any more then to just fix the truck to drive it. Everthing I need, I make. By the time I am done I will probebly be at $3500-4500. That is what you would pay for a not bad original truck, and $30,000 less then a new truck.

Anywho, here is the flywheel that I indexed and bored out. I put the engine in the truck last night when I got home (the 1.6 block) to see how it looks. I am going to somewhat copy Zooky's engine mounts I think. Although his was a 2 wheel drive and the frame is a bit different. I will take some more pics today or tomorrow.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:52 AM

Well I got my passenger side mount welded up today. It was the easier side to do. You can see in the pictures how much shorter the engine is from the 22re. The engine mount is at the front of the diesel block and on the 22re it is in the middle. I am still going to gusset that mount a bit but I am happy with softness of the mount. The trans and engine move very well with the rubber mounts.

Name:  DSCN0439Medium.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  68.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0441Medium.jpg
Views: 2845
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  DSCN0442Medium.jpg
Views: 2843
Size:  70.6 KB

I might start on the other side tomorrow. Once I get the mounts done I am going to yank the diesel from the car and put it in and see how I did.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:03 AM

awsome work
im sure it will fit right in there!!
I will be cuerous to know what kind of millage you get out of this thing when you are all done.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:32 PM

Oh you have no idea how much I wish I could have had a junk motor like that to play with when doing my mounts. As well as the cab off. I had to weld the mounts in with the motor in place. Stick rods came in handy there as you can bend them. Its looking very nice. I'm curious to see what mileage you get as well. And what other little tweaks you do to it as well.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Very clean looking welds Flash...

Does anybody know if there are "hop-up" kits for the 1.9/2.0 vw diesels like they make for the big 3 diesels? I suspect there are in europe...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:05 AM

Well I got my drivers side mount almost done. What a pain that one is. It lines up right over the upper A-arm so I have to build up around the arm. It does not look good but I think it will work. I could have dropped it down a bit but then I would have had a hard time getting the diff dropped if I needed too. I will take some pics tonight. Now I have to wire brush the frame down a bit and throw some POR15 on it. Also start pulling the diesel.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:16 PM

Okay here is the drivers side. Not a good spot for the mount to end up. I could have moved it forward but then I would have to get rid of the serpintine belt on the diesel as the alternator sits right there. The plate is 3/8 and was bent on a brake.

I am going to gusset this side right down the inside of the frame to the top of the dif mount.
Name:  DSCN0445Medium.jpg
Views: 2785
Size:  78.1 KB

Here are both mounts. The are offest because of the alternator.

The suspention is unload but I think it will be okay with weight and won't hit the mount. I may have to trim the stamped tab on the upper arm.
Name:  DSCN0443Medium.jpg
Views: 2871
Size:  82.7 KB

Here is the mount attached. This looks very ugly but will work. Lots of angles and crap. But I managed to pick up 3 holes on the block.

Name:  DSCN0447Medium.jpg
Views: 2823
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0446Medium.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  74.8 KB

This weekend the diesel comes out if I have time and the weather permits. I have to pull it outside. I ordered my Por15 today so everything will look all nice and black soon, don't worry
Old 01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

If the wx is too ugly you can always just work on the POR15 part of the project... the mounts look pretty strong...
Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM

Flash
did you get the engine out yet?
Looks like thoes are rugged mounts awesome wielding job too!
Old 01-31-2008, 06:09 AM

Well I almost got it out last night. It reminded me of why I hate frontwheel drive again. What a bastard. I ended up cutting the CV's and I still can't get the damn thing out. I am going to have to take the whole front of the car off to get it out. That is what the Hays manuals says but I thought I would try without. If you want to do any work on a FWD you have to pull the damn engine out, thus the whole front end. Stupid!!! If the car wasn't in such good shape I would just cut it up.

I wire brushed some of the truck frame as well. It is not to bad but I need to take a presure washer to it to really clean it before paint. I should have the engine out this weekend. I have to wash it up and replace the oil pan gasket. I can't wait to set it in the truck!!!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 AM

I can't wait untill we can have conversion kits.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: VW Diesel Build Up