Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

OM617 into 1987 4Runner SR5

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Loving this swap so far! Keep up the great work.

*subscribed*

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jennygirl
Happy Thanksgiving guys!
Back 'atcha!
I'm busy smoking trout and salmon for belated dinner Saturday. Yum!
Old 11-26-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rworegon
Back 'atcha!
I'm busy smoking trout and salmon for belated dinner Saturday. Yum!
holy yum! That sounds great!!

It has has been inspiring me knowing that people are digging this build so far, thanks for all the nice comments It is a little bit unfortunate with holiday timing because all of the shops I need are closed until Monday, but I guess I can wait 4 days for them Plus my extra set of shop hands is leaving on Monday. But now that the motor is mounted, I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. The heavy lifting is done, now just a matter of getting everything hooked up.

Looks like the oil cooler is going to be a perfect fit behind the front bumper and the radiator has almost an inch of clearance to the pulleys (moved transmission almost exactly 3" back). The oil lines going to the oil cooler are going to need some 90 degree fittings in order to route around the radiator. I'm going to take it to a shop to get all of my pressure lines custom fitted and they should be able to handle that no problem. I also called a drivetrain shop in the valley yesterday (Cannon), and they said they could modify my driveshafts with a day or two turnaround. Stoked

Getting closer by the day! Gotta wait until stores open up tomorrow so I can get some hole saws.

Time to head over to my buddy's place and modify the oil pickup!

Last edited by jennygirl; 11-26-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:49 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
You could make your own hoses for less possibly using AN fittings. Try http://www.anplumbing.com/ or jegs or summit. You can probably go to any speed shop and find what you need. This way you can build what you need and route it how you like. Not to mention if you make a mistake you just make a new hose length with the fittings instead of running back to the store to have a new one made. I made some oil color lines for my bike in 07, hasn't leaked a drop.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 PM

Whoa nice! Thank you, I am totally gonna order some stuff from there. I also need a fitting to adapt the toyota oil pressure sender, so this will be perfect.

Thanks again RBX!

OM617 into 1987 4Runner SR5-qf0vjjm.jpg

Here is a photo of the modified oil pickup. It is extended by 2" because I extended the front of the oil pan by 2" to make up lost capacity with the notch.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:28 AM

I just compiled a list of things that I have done and still need to do. Still have a ways to go but feeling pretty great about being 11 days in. Maybe this will be helpful for anyone looking to do this swap...

MECHANICAL
Remove 22re motor
Remove W56 transmission
Remove Toyota AC
Remove Toyota radiator
Remove unneeded wiring (engine harness and ECU)
Remove donor om617 motor
Remove donor Mercedes AC compressor
Dismount steering stabilizer
Fabricate removable radiator support
Save donor Mercedes radiator & hoses
Save donor Mercedes oil cooler
Install motor-trans adapter plate on om617
Install adapted flywheel & Toyota clutch
Install W56 to om617
Disconnect parking brake cable from firewall
Remove om617 oil pan
Remove om617 oil pickup
Massage firewall back
Place motor+trans and tack motor mounts
Remove motor
Weld motor mounts
Install motor+trans
Remove and modify om617 oil pan & pickup
Throttle linkage adaptation

Transmission crossmember adapter plate
Steering stabilizer relocation
Mount radiator
Radiator hoses
Mount oil cooler
Oil lines
Oil pressure sender adapter
Fuel pickup mod (replace fuel pump w/ fuel line)
Install oil pickup & oil pan
Heater hoses
install PS pump
High and low power steering
Downpipe & exhaust
Heat shield for starter & clutch slave
Clutch line relocation for exhaust
Shifter area modification
Shifter reinstallation
Driveshaft modification
Driveshaft reinstallation
RPM adaptation
Parking brake firewall mount relocation
Air filter installation
Pusher fan installation
Brake booster vacuum line
Engine off vacuum line using ALDA solenoid

ELECTRICAL
Alternator wiring
Glow plug wiring
Battery wiring
Starter / ignition wiring
Pusher fan wiring
Oil pressure sender wiring
Idiot light wiring (from glow plug relay)
Engine off wiring

PARTS
1983 Mercedes 300SD
4x4labs kit (includes adapter plate, flywheel adapter, machined flywheel, and motor mount fab plates)
3" mandrel bent tubes for exhaust
3" v clamp for mating downpipe to exhaust
Lokar throttle cable adapter
Two 10" pusher fans
New Toyota pilot bearing
Oil pan gasket for om617
New Toyota motor mounts

Fitting for Toyota oil pressure sender
Fittings for oil lines
Oil line tubing
Fittings for power steering lines
Power steering tubing
Clutch line tubing
Heater hose
Driveshaft machining
3" flex pipe
Fuel line

I am most definitely forgetting a few things, but this gets pretty close.

Last edited by jennygirl; 11-27-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:09 PM

Well I went down to that ANplumbing place (Earls) since the storefront is closeby and the guy was not helpful. Told me he "didn't have anything" for each of the things I went in there for which is understandable if he doesn't have it...

-adapter for toyota oil pressure sender
-adapters/hoses for oil lines to oil cooler (ball type fitting)
-adapters/hoses for power steering

He said it would cost over $1000 to get the lines custom made, and at one point he asked "is your project even worth it?" and kinda gave me this look like "you're dumb". Told me an oil cooler would cost at least $600 At that point I was like alright, later fool!

Already found some AN adapters on mercedesdiesel4x4.com for the oil lines and for the oil pressure sender. Definitely not in the $1000's.
http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/category_s/1834.htm

Going to run an aftermarket oil cooler instead of the mercedes one, found one on Summit that looks promising for less than a hundred bucks.

Ya win some, ya lose some. The mission continues.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:44 PM
RBX

Toyota probably tapped the oil sender in the block using a British pipe thread standard like they do on the Trans and diff breathers. Not sure if Earls carries that, but I was able to make an oil cooler line for my Monster, so I know they have the fittings for weird Italian plumbing. Maybe try calling the support number or try jegs or summit.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:17 PM

Yeah I have two ideas currently:

1. Try to find a way to squeeze the MB oil cooler driver side of the radiator (close to its original position in the 300SD) and use the MB hoses. I was reading a thread about someone doing this, not sure if it was a 1st gen 4runner though. Doesn't seem like a lot of room from memory.
2. Get an oil cooler from Summit, looking at this one which has -10 AN hookups and get hoses made to the oil filter housing adapters from mercedesdiesel4x4 (-8 AN). I could pick up any hose ends and AN adapters from Earl's. Even if the customer service wasn't so great for me, it's still a great resource.

I also had initially planned to use the transmission cooler in the bottom of the MB radiator as a power steering cooler, but mostly just because it's there and it would be cool. I think the guy at Earl's did have fittings for that, but he was on his "no help for you" streak. Not sure if a P/S cooler that big is even really necessary though.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:40 PM

I hadn't seen the radiator clearance with the power steering pump in there (it has been off until today). Tight clearance! Good thing it's moved back that extra 0.5". Forgot how far forward it sits.

Absolutely no room for the oil cooler in the MB stock location. Probably going to go with a universal oil cooler and run AN fittings. This one appears to fit perfectly behind the bumper
Old 11-28-2015, 04:28 AM
RBX

I am pretty sure you want your powersteering fluid cooler then the operating temperature of the engine, so I wouldn't run your PS through the radiator. The transmission is usually run through it to bring the fluid up to operating temperature quicker, and keep it there. Toyota had a separate cooler, passive, on the a340 transmissions as well as running the lines through the radiator. That trans cooler could be used for power steering instead of auto fluid if you run a manual gear box.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jennygirl
Well I went down to that ANplumbing place...
Dear god, what a douche. Keep trying locally, sooner or later you may bump into a shop whose bread and butter is custom stuff like that, and who charges reasonable prices. If you can bring a good shop both of the lines from toyota and MB, and tell them what you need the bastard child part to do differently, they won't give you any guff.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:32 PM

odd ball fittings

For odd ball fittings and such try a PIRTEK hydraulic hose shop. My local here in Denver can usually find oddball stuff like british pipe and if their counterman is worth a ˟˟˟˟ he can look it up and order it if it isnt in stock.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:56 PM

Thanks for that RBX, I think for now in the interest of time I am just going to use the stock Toyota p/s cooler line that sticks out front of the radiator because then I just have to plug up two barb ends with some hose. I am using the Toyota p/s high pressure line which fits the MB like a glove. Later down the line I will most likely investigate better cooling options for p/s, but not sure how necessary that really even is.

I did some digging last night, looking for info on how merc 300sd owners convert their oil cooler lines to aftermarket stuff. I stumbled upon this authorized Mercedes service that recommends installing fittings into the oil cooler when you need to replace the oil lines, because apparently the threads on the oil cooler like to strip.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...8-post180.html

Basically you cut off the nipples on the oil cooler and then tap it for 18mm @1.5 which matches the fitting that exists in the oil filter housing. Turns out that fitting is really easy to find, because it seals with a washer instead of the ball-type flare.

I went back to AN today and picked up 4x 18mm 1.5 to -8AN fittings. Already popped them in the oil filter housing and they fit perfectly. Next just have to cut the nipples off of the cooler and tap it for the fitting. I also got some hose and hose ends. This problem is solved!

Oh and luckily at AN it was a different guy today, I think it was the owner. He was a lot nicer
Old 11-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Woohoo! Glad you got those fittings worked out. Good of you to give AN a second chance...I'm not sure I would have.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:17 PM

Here is how I did the pedal linkage, much like you describe, I did use the springs and bolt from the original 3vz to return to idle and cant tell any dif at my foot when driving. Your work on this project looks great and you should really like the end result
Attached Thumbnails OM617 into 1987 4Runner SR5-dscn0569.jpg   OM617 into 1987 4Runner SR5-dscn0568.jpg  
Old 11-29-2015, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Woohoo! Glad you got those fittings worked out. Good of you to give AN a second chance...I'm not sure I would have.
A part of me did feel sour when I realized I needed to go back, but the end result is all that truly matters. Too excited to get this build done to care!

Originally Posted by Fusilier
Here is how I did the pedal linkage, much like you describe, I did use the springs and bolt from the original 3vz to return to idle and cant tell any dif at my foot when driving. Your work on this project looks great and you should really like the end result
Thank you so much! I am hugely looking forward to that end result! As far as throttle linkage, I am actually doing something quite different now. Pretty much exactly this:
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/...28339#pid28339
Name:  linkage-05.jpg
Views: 2077
Size:  42.8 KB
The only difference with mine is that I am using a cut off piece of the toyota housing bracket instead of raw steel as pictured above. I'll take a pic of it when it's completely hooked up (above pic is just an example, not my build)

The connector is called Lokar S-1034. Seems to make tidy work of things. I had one shipped via amazon prime last week, looks like it will be great. If all goes as planned (probably won't but one can hope), everything will be hooked up and I'll fire up the engine in the truck for the first time tomorrow
Old 11-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Starting to look a little closer

OM617 into 1987 4Runner SR5-1ebb4vb.jpg

+ throttle, radiator, coolant res

I had to order some drill bits in order to tap the 16mm 1.5 for the temp sensor, and 18mm 1.5 for the oil cooler AN conversion fittings. The actual drill bit sizes are 14.5mm and 16.5mm respectively. I got them from mcmaster, the only place I could find em.

Didn't want to take the chance with the wrong tap pilot hole since the oil pressure can get up to 97psi. I am trying to get to the point today where the oil cooler is the only thing left to install besides driveshafts, intake, and exhaust
Old 11-29-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 599 Likes on 439 Posts
Fantastic work and lightning speed progress!!

I envy your ability to attack this project with such strength of purpose.

There was once a time when I was young, strong, and single; and I too was able to get things done in a hurry.

Hope you never slow down.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Jenny, me thinks the new engine deserves a sparkly new radiator. My discounted 0.02.