Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

anyone done a diesel swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are more diesels here but we can not import anything that we want. It has to be 15 years old or older. I swapped a 3.0TD 4 cyl into my 92 pickup. The motor came from Jarco Inc. It has about 300000kms on it and runs beautifully. It does not go through oil yet. Well 1/4 inch on the dipstick in 3000 miles but I consider that nothing. Has the pulling power of a dozer and gets pretty good mileage. In some tacos and pickups guys have been getting as high as 35 mpg when intercooled. The 35mpg truck has the 3.0TD, intercooler, 4.10 gears and 32 inch tires. You just need to send some time on the swap. And if you look down one thread from this you will see a VW motor swap. The swaps are around just need to look for them.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM

try dieselhead.net
Old 08-08-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by pkt1213
I know you can chip the VW Polo's 3 cyl TDI to something like 200 hp and like 280 lb/ft. I'm sure you could get that easily out of the 4 cyl TDI engine. I was looking into the Polo chip a few years back when a company made a motorcycle with the 3 cyl engine.
Ive owned a dozen vw's now, as its my first love.

There's guys pushing 250hp/300 ftlbs with stage 3 kits on the mk4 1.9 tdi.

check out www.vwvortex.com.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:47 PM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by f4stunna
the jap engines are completely different becuase they are GAS engines. the CAN pass emissions here.

the toyota desiels, CAN NOT. there is a reason why toyota sells desiels all around the world currenty and not in the U.S.

Not to bring an old thread out of the grave, but this made me laugh ...

The reason toyota DOES NOT SELL DIESELS in America is because most of us do not want them.

We consider Diesel a 'dirty word' and it reminds us of stink and gargling sounds.

In 3rd and 2nd world countries only DIESEL is available, and the reliability/build quality is much higher.

Americans demand cheap, throwaway cars and build quality reflects that.

You can import ANYTHING and drive it, as long as it's street legal (hence jet engines). Just make sure you pass DEQ/Emissions testing.

They also do test diesels for 'pressure' and estimate unburnt fuel leaking into the atmosphere.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:49 PM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by thefallman
LOL im Rolling around laughing my ass off here cause this guy really hasnt done much research and anytime someone that knows what they are talking about says something he tells them they are full of horse crap.

1. The emissions is not the reason toyota doesnt sell diesels in the USA. Canada uses the same emmission standards as the US and has quite a few Toyota Diesel options we don't. the main reason for toyota diesels not being offered is because of the widespread mainstream view of diesels in the US as Noisy Stinky Messy Cars.

2. The Tundra and T100 are North American ONLY Vehicles if you have seen them in other parts of the world they were specically and specially exported from the US to that country.

3. The Tundra and the T100 Never have and so far never will have a Diesel mainly because it is North American only Vehicle. (Toyota USA did a concept Tundra Dually with a HINO diesel for the last auto show. and they didnt sound like Toyota CORP in general wanted to do anything with it.)

4. If you did you research you would know that there are waivers out there from the epa and carb for conversion vehicles. the easiest way to get these wavers is to make your car run on a green fuel in this case BIODIESEL oh wow suddenly everyone at carb LOVES you.

5. the 4bt cummins can get really crapy milage. IF you crank up the turbo and injection pump and are trying to run the piss out of the thing yess it can. but if you did your research its actually very common for them to be getting high 20's to low 30's when installed in a cruiser or 4runner.

6. So before you start telling people to shut up and quit giving you advice maybe you should go look up the information for your self so that you know what your talking about. you asked for help people were trying to give it to you and you were being a butt head.

okay now on a nicer note this forum is a really great forum i love these guys and in most cases you can get really good info here with out getting flamed. i just flamed you cause you werent listening to people who were trying to help you. hope i dont run you off i cheer for anyone who is looking at doing swaps. my next swap will be a diesel into a 4runner and im hoping next year. i got to much biodiesel floating around to not use it.

Sorry bud, was laughing and kinda peeved from the post I read earlier. I agree 100% with what you said.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its all good i just find it funny when people don't listen to others and or research things they say.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:58 AM

over here in the uk most of the trucks are diesel the early mk1(80's) were petrol and it was only the imports that are diesel. when the mk2(84) was introduced they were diesel now all the trucks are diesel. i was running a ford v6 petrol in mine(mk1)for years but now have swapped in a mk3(89) 2.4d which is lacking in the power but a lot more torque and it also means i can run it on vegetable oil which is popular over here.

a popular conversion for the pickup is the surf 3.0td but does mean swapping the tranny aswell. we do have imported 2.8d na but most say they have about the same power as the 2.4td which is what i want to swap in next as they are cheap and easy to come by (and mine isn't built for speed)
Old 11-13-2009, 04:50 AM

I've wanted to do a diesel swap for a while. Within the near future i want to try and swap a CAT diesel into my 88 runner, out of a small 310d excavator or something ( I'm doing my diesel apprenticeship with CAT). Has anyone heard of anyone swapping in an industrial high-torque motor? I figure with the right gearing in the diffs and tranny i can make it work. I mean the runner isn't my DD, Im just thinking having a motor with that much power would be wicked for off road, let clutch out and crawl.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 PM

Everything discussed here has been discussed in detail at www.toyotadiesel.com. Buy a Toyota diesel and swap it in your truck. It'll be fun. Note: You may get much better mileage, but your smug emissions will increase drastically. Here's my long-winded swap thread: http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2502.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:28 PM

my swap -

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f162...-04-us-202535/