YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   Diesel Swaps (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   anyone done a diesel swap? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f162/anyone-done-diesel-swap-131507/)

beatenyota 12-05-2007 04:45 PM

anyone done a diesel swap?

I'd really like to run a diesel, and might be something I'd like to do in the future. Anyone done it? Ideas for donor engines? I don't know how i'd find a factory one. I assume you would need a new transmission, and maybe a transfer, fuel pump, fuel tank as well.

can anyone point me to a writeup or something?

I guess i can :google: it later

f4stunna 12-05-2007 04:51 PM

i am curious about this too....

i know you can swap in 350's and such, are there other brand diesels that will swap in?

lotalucas 12-06-2007 03:21 PM

I've always wanted a diesel yota. I know that my dad got to drive one when he was in guatamala some 15 years ago that was pretty much a toyota tocoma with a strait six diesel engine. It's known as a helix or a hilix depending on which country your looking at. as far as i know you can get them in Mexico but only 2wd. and most central american countries at 4. If your going to do a swap you could order an engine from a country that does sell them. I would recomend Austrailia because they speak english. I know that they put them in trucks the size of tundra's and now thats the norm but they used to do trucks like tocoma's and smaller. I found one that looked just like my truck which has the 22re in it except it had a strait 6 turbo charged diesel engine.

xcmountain80 12-06-2007 03:34 PM

Heres 1
http://www.proffittscruisers.com/diesel/index.html
there was someone else too I looked in to fot my 02 4runner it was 10-12K

Aaron

f4stunna 12-06-2007 03:36 PM

you cant import the deseil engines from over seas becuase they do not meet the strick emissions controls in the U.S.

that is why toyota doesnt sell them here but they do everywhere else in the world

if customs finds out you have one, they will come and take it and most of the time the whole vehical with it

xcmountain80 12-06-2007 03:40 PM

Yeah yeah then why are there so many? Ok not so many but you can do it just check with DOT in your area. Customs doesn't care but the epa might thats why as a responsible wheeler you should look into it. Another option which I have though of is a 4cyl. International TD.

Aaron

GarageAlchemist 12-08-2007 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by f4stunna (Post 50687837)
you cant import the deseil engines from over seas becuase they do not meet the strick emissions controls in the U.S.

that is why toyota doesnt sell them here but they do everywhere else in the world

if customs finds out you have one, they will come and take it and most of the time the whole vehical with it

you must be outside of your mind. you can import any motor you want, and customs wont give a flying F*%(. Most of the country doesnt have emissions standards. True if you live in an area where your vehicle must pass emissons then you would want to make sure that it can pass those test, but just because the engine didnt pass them over seas doesnt mean customs is going to take it, thats just comical. There are so many import cars running around with SR20, B16, RB25 swaps that dont pass emissons.

xcmountain80 12-08-2007 04:15 PM

Yep I thought so!

Aaron

davenjai 12-08-2007 05:19 PM

Who emission test's diesels?

Anyway, I always here about a Cummins 4bht or something. It's the little brother of the 6cyl in the Dodges. They came in Frito-Lay type van/trucks. Supposedly they make up to 400ft lbs and are super well built.

f4stunna 12-09-2007 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by GarageAlchemist (Post 50689506)
you must be outside of your mind. you can import any motor you want, and customs wont give a flying F*%(. Most of the country doesnt have emissions standards. True if you live in an area where your vehicle must pass emissons then you would want to make sure that it can pass those test, but just because the engine didnt pass them over seas doesnt mean customs is going to take it, thats just comical. There are so many import cars running around with SR20, B16, RB25 swaps that dont pass emissons.

the jap engines are completely different becuase they are GAS engines. the CAN pass emissions here.

the toyota desiels, CAN NOT. there is a reason why toyota sells desiels all around the world currenty and not in the U.S.

ozziesironmanoffroad 12-09-2007 08:51 AM

still, it only matters in an area where they smog. if they dont smog in your area, no one gives a flying cluck. most places dont smog diesels anyway. when my dad had his chevy diesel, he never had to smog it. im not sure about nevada. i kinda like havin a gas engine though, gas is cheaper than diesel :) though it would be awesome to have a pickup with a cummins V8... :)

Hayes 12-09-2007 09:45 AM

ok, first, there was a diesel option called the 2lt offered in the US. 2nd, check out toyotadiesel.com

f4stunna 12-09-2007 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Hayes (Post 50689971)
ok, first, there was a diesel option called the 2lt offered in the US. 2nd, check out toyotadiesel.com

yes i know...

but any engine your gonna find is gonna be old and high milage and a 350 will probubly get close to the same gas milage...

which is why i asked if any modern desiels would work.

even the cummins 4bt's are really hard to find now and are getting really expensive

Hayes 12-09-2007 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by f4stunna (Post 50690061)

sorry I missed that part. still check out toyotadiesel.com for information.

pkt1213 12-10-2007 11:55 AM

My parents are moving to Guatemla in the next year sometime. I'm thinking of trying to get them to get me Hilux Surf parts and ship them to me. I would lover to have a Hilux hatch and the tire carrier.

As I understand they have a 3.0 diesel that's like a diesel version of the 3.0 gas engine. I know it would be a 90% different engine but I would think it would bolt into stock mounting and hopefully the simularities would make it an easier swap. I might have to wait until I go down there to seen them to check one out. My dad is going to buy a diesel Hilux when they move down there.

Belize Off Road Team 12-10-2007 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by pkt1213 (Post 50691032)
My parents are moving to Guatemla in the next year sometime. I'm thinking of trying to get them to get me Hilux Surf parts and ship them to me. I would lover to have a Hilux hatch and the tire carrier.

As I understand they have a 3.0 diesel that's like a diesel version of the 3.0 gas engine. I know it would be a 90% different engine but I would think it would bolt into stock mounting and hopefully the simularities would make it an easier swap. I might have to wait until I go down there to seen them to check one out. My dad is going to buy a diesel Hilux when they move down there.

Guatemala is a good place to get factory TOYOTA parts, specially for the Diesels, and yes there is a 3.0L Turbo D, i have one sitting in a shop while i make the payments, then i am getting it installed. it has 130HP and around 200ft.lb.torqe. im not sure what the output is with a turbo and intercooler. if you are going to buy stuff for your truck to make it a Surf wanna-be 4Runner, get a local to buy them, cause there are 2 prices, gringo price and local price. 10 bucks for the local, 50 for the gringo! :chairfall

**The old 3.0TD is a Turbo 4Cyl, there are newer ones that are 6cyl that will still fit 4Runner.

i do know that for the most part you do NOT have to change a whole lot of things to fit a 3.0TD into a 3.0V6 petrol. i do know that the OLD (89-95) 3.0TD had less power, after 98-current you can get a NEW 3.0TD with alot more power, i think 200HP & 280ft.lb.torque, but im not sure. good luck!!!

pkt1213 12-10-2007 01:12 PM

That was the 3.0 TD I was thinking about. :) From what I have read the block is the same or very close the the old 3.0 "petrol." I would probably nut my pants the first time I got to drive it. :) I'd probalby see if I could get a 96+ with a blown engine and use that instead of swapping it into my perfectly good DD.

Just think how much better the towing would be at that point.

AxleIke 12-10-2007 02:01 PM

Okay.

First of all, the 2LT is a DIRECT BOLT IN for 22re equipped trucks. You have to move your steering stuff, but other than that, bell housing, and most of the harness is the same.

Second of all, aparantly you CAN import them, and run them in trucks. If you look online at toyota swap boards, many people are doing them in CALI-FRIGGIN-FORNIA. If you can get them running there, damn sure you can do it anywhere else.

Not all motors will, but the 2L, and the 2LT can be made to do so.

Lastly, the motors out of 20 year old trucks are getting around 30mpg. Where the hell have you found a 350 that would do that kind of mileage?

f4stunna 12-10-2007 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke (Post 50691139)
Okay.

First of all, the 2LT is a DIRECT BOLT IN for 22re equipped trucks. You have to move your steering stuff, but other than that, bell housing, and most of the harness is the same.

Second of all, aparantly you CAN import them, and run them in trucks. If you look online at toyota swap boards, many people are doing them in CALI-FRIGGIN-FORNIA. If you can get them running there, damn sure you can do it anywhere else.

Not all motors will, but the 2L, and the 2LT can be made to do so.

Lastly, the motors out of 20 year old trucks are getting around 30mpg. Where the hell have you found a 350 that would do that kind of mileage?

if you read at what i asked, i asked OTHER brands besides toyota.

i asked this beucase where can you find a 2LT? how much is it gonna cost to find, buy or import? ect....

the gas milage comment i made is OTHER brand diesels of the same year range as the trucks. people running the cummins 4bt's are only getting a couple mpg better than a 350, if at all.

that is what i ment

AxleIke 12-10-2007 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by f4stunna (Post 50691194)
if you read at what i asked, i asked OTHER brands besides toyota.

i asked this beucase where can you find a 2LT? how much is it gonna cost to find, buy or import? ect....

the gas milage comment i made is OTHER brand diesels of the same year range as the trucks. people running the cummins 4bt's are only getting a couple mpg better than a 350, if at all.

that is what i ment

Well, that makes more sense. You're first post didn't make that clear at all. It seemed like you are talking about the 2LT

Originally Posted by f4stunna (Post 50690061)
yes i know...

but any engine your gonna find is gonna be old and high milage and a 350 will probubly get close to the same gas milage...

even the cummins 4bt's are really hard to find now and are getting really expensive

As for where to get one, you import a front half cut. Because it is only half a truck, it is listed as "parts" and not a "vehicle". That is your donor. They are several thousand dollars.

Never said it was cheap. Only said it was very possible.