Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

anyone done a diesel swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Never said it was cheap. Only said it was very possible.
yea i know...

and back to the other issue, i live in MA... im lucky enough to have to follow the CARB standards and have to get it emission tested
Old 12-10-2007, 06:39 PM

That's why I love Missouri and the good ol' boy system.

I'm thinking I might just see about getting a Hilux Surf one time when I am in Guatemala and bringing it back.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM

I have a dream to swap a GM 6.2 Diesel into a 4Runner one of these days, then throw a banks kit on it.

The 6.2 is only a hair bigger than a GM 350, and shares the same mounting stuff (motor mounts and bell housings), so the only thing that would really be a challenge is the rad.

My other concern with this was that to use a Toyota tranny (and back), I'd have to run at least 33" tires, and still try to track down 3.90 gears to get the RPMs right on the highway (2200RPM at 70mph). But considering my 91 GMC w/ 6.2 gets 20mpg Hwy, and weight 5900lbs, I figure 25+ MPG would be pretty easily accomplished
Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM

you'd also have to take into account the weight of the engine on springs that weren't made to have it on there. Then, like you said, from the trans back. It would probably be best just to use the engine, trans, transfer case, diffs, etc. etc. from a donor rig. You'd bust an axle/birf/something the first time you went to drive it with that much torque.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 AM

What about the Jetta TDI motor? There's a company that makes an adapter plate to bolt it up to a yota tranny. I know if i was gonna do a diesel swap, that's the one i'd do.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies this is turning into a good thread. I like the idea of a TDI swap, probably would be fairly easy to find a VW diesel.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beatenyota
Thanks for all the replies this is turning into a good thread. I like the idea of a TDI swap, probably would be fairly easy to find a VW diesel.
The only way i would use a vw tdi is with upgraded injectors and turbos. It only has around 90hp and 150 ft/lb torque. Which would be enough for a mini truck, but for us 3rd gen 4runners we are dragging around more weight.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Yeah i've got a reg cab taco so that wouldn't be too underpowered.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:11 PM

I know you can chip the VW Polo's 3 cyl TDI to something like 200 hp and like 280 lb/ft. I'm sure you could get that easily out of the 4 cyl TDI engine. I was looking into the Polo chip a few years back when a company made a motorcycle with the 3 cyl engine.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM

VW made a lot of diesels. I forgot about a friend who took one from a Rabbit. He's putting a turbo on it, and is sticking it in a Sammie.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Cummins 4bt Essentially A 5.9 Stait Six With Two Cylinders Cut Off Adv Adapters Makes A Bellhousing To Bolt To Chevy Transmissons All Mechanical Motor Farely Easy Swap Have A Buddy Who Has It In An Fj 80
Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 AM

I am currently in the process of putting a 1984 Isuzu 4FB1 diesel in my 1991 toyota 4x4 pickup. The truck had a 22re and a 5 speed originally. The only problem I have is that the bell housing on the 5 speed has a bolt pattern very similar to the Isuzu which makes an adapter plate nearly impossible to make. Does anyone know if the V6 engine/5 speed combination from toyota pickups uses a larger bell housing that will bolt to my 5 speed??
Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f4stunna
\the gas milage comment i made is OTHER brand diesels of the same year range as the trucks. people running the cummins 4bt's are only getting a couple mpg better than a 350, if at all.

LOL im Rolling around laughing my ass off here cause this guy really hasnt done much research and anytime someone that knows what they are talking about says something he tells them they are full of horse crap.

1. The emissions is not the reason toyota doesnt sell diesels in the USA. Canada uses the same emmission standards as the US and has quite a few Toyota Diesel options we don't. the main reason for toyota diesels not being offered is because of the widespread mainstream view of diesels in the US as Noisy Stinky Messy Cars.

2. The Tundra and T100 are North American ONLY Vehicles if you have seen them in other parts of the world they were specically and specially exported from the US to that country.

3. The Tundra and the T100 Never have and so far never will have a Diesel mainly because it is North American only Vehicle. (Toyota USA did a concept Tundra Dually with a HINO diesel for the last auto show. and they didnt sound like Toyota CORP in general wanted to do anything with it.)

4. If you did you research you would know that there are waivers out there from the epa and carb for conversion vehicles. the easiest way to get these wavers is to make your car run on a green fuel in this case BIODIESEL oh wow suddenly everyone at carb LOVES you.

5. the 4bt cummins can get really crapy milage. IF you crank up the turbo and injection pump and are trying to run the piss out of the thing yess it can. but if you did your research its actually very common for them to be getting high 20's to low 30's when installed in a cruiser or 4runner.

6. So before you start telling people to shut up and quit giving you advice maybe you should go look up the information for your self so that you know what your talking about. you asked for help people were trying to give it to you and you were being a butt head.

okay now on a nicer note this forum is a really great forum i love these guys and in most cases you can get really good info here with out getting flamed. i just flamed you cause you werent listening to people who were trying to help you. hope i dont run you off i cheer for anyone who is looking at doing swaps. my next swap will be a diesel into a 4runner and im hoping next year. i got to much biodiesel floating around to not use it.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 AM

I had been thinking if I could get that diesel V-6 for my runner about running bio. It'd be cool and with the prices of diesel and gas.......it'd be nice. Looks like I am headed to Iraq in a few months so maybe when I get back.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 PM

A good reason, but not the only

the other reason kinda goes along with the higher price for diesel, in this country, than gas. Gas takes more to refine than gas does. Weird, then why would gas cost less. Well because America runs on gas. The reason that most new diesels and TDs done pass emisions is because our Diesel sucks!!!! euro diesel is way more refined than ours and it is cheaper than gas in europe. The problem with diesels here, like in the TD bug and such, tiny high pressure injectors trying to blow trashy crappy US diesel designed for US transfer trucks with huge injectors. Euro trucks like the mercedes made trucks, have lavish interiors and all sorts of cool things and are cleaner and get better mileage with similiar towing capacity. And they dont need water seperators (the big can shaped things on the side of transfer truck cabs). I spent a year in Italy and got real tired of mopeds and scooters while I was there, but the diesel vehicles that I was able rent was impressive. If you could get one over here and set it up for biodiesel, you would see the benifit of a 4cyl TD in a tacoma, just like they do it in the UK.
I just wish they would stop bullting the american public with all this about cleaner greener fuel that aren't happening fast enough and clean up the fuel that we have now to make actual vehicles available to the rest of the world, available to us, the country that hasn't signed on with the carbon footprint act that most of the other world has signed (japanese named act can't remember the name) WE (the US) LOOK LIKE FOOLS AGAIN, thanks government jacknobs!!!

Wow that was more than my two cents but had that on my mind for a while.
Happy new year
Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 PM

Bdog it's right, the diesel of the US and the European are a lot different.

My truck it's a 3.0TD and has 320000km (198800mi) and I've just rebuilt the injectors for first time... The needles were only dirty but weren't worn out.

You can also notice a lot the difference when travelling in Africa. The Moroccan diesel it's yellow (Here it's green) and has a lot of sulfur smelling. Here in Spain (Nor travelling Europe) my truck NEVER makes black smoke when revving or flooring the pedal, but when I was in Morocco the truck had a lot less power and made a lot of black smoke...

David
Old 01-08-2008, 12:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Canada does not have any current Toyota diesels, and hasn't since 1988 on the Land Cruiser. Unfortunately.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:58 PM

A diesel swap would be so awsome, but i doubt they have a conversion kit for a 2001 tacoma. My dad is big on diesels and we have three diesel cars and he is thinking about converting them to veggy oil.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by drew01taco
A diesel swap would be so awsome, but i doubt they have a conversion kit for a 2001 tacoma. My dad is big on diesels and we have three diesel cars and he is thinking about converting them to veggy oil.
talk to jarco inc. they have a 4 cyl for 2001, bolts in. 185 1KTZE
Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt16
Canada does not have any current Toyota diesels, and hasn't since 1988 on the Land Cruiser. Unfortunately.
yes and no

they have no NEW ones but unlike the usa u can import from other countries that do have them and there are lots of jdm diesels running around the west side of canada.

Last edited by thefallman; 05-04-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone done a diesel swap?