All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Official 1JZ/2JZGE 2JZGTE Swap thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2jz gte in a 4runner? have some questions

Putting a 2jzgte twin turbo into a 1996 3.4 4runner 4x4.....Need info on how to do this swap.... Got the motor/tranny for this projet, just need helpful tips on what needs to be done. I know this is a crazy project but worth it at the end
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
This has been covered before.

I would start here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161...z-swap-204808/

And Supracharged.com
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your ambitious!! I would first want to make sure I have the wiring harness and the ECU for the 2jz. The wiring will be the biggest hurdle to overcome, followed by the plumbing of the intercoolers to the turbo and their placement.

Your basically going to have to map out each pin, and connector to mate up with the 4 runner's electronics. You do have an electrical engineering degree right?

Just make sure you take lots of pictures and share them with us so we can help a bit. I have some background in circuits so I may be able to help..."may" being the key word.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2jz gte in a 4runner? have some questions

OK so im looking at the idea of doing the swap, thought that maybe atleast a couple guys on here might have some experience with this? anyways i know its possible because i have see it done on supra forums and i know there is a guy on here who has one too. I have been reading for a while now on SF about supra's and thats what i am saving for after the 4runner is built.

anyways the plan would be to run stock twins with bpu setup for now. full 4" exhaust, boost control, intake, intercooler exc... now one guy on SF welded half of the r154's bell housing to the other half of the r150's housing that was in the 4runner. does anyone know if its possible to keep the r154 (6speed) and bolt it to the the T case? i like the idea of a 6speed but im also thinking the gearing will be tossed out a bit?

wiring wise. what am i looking at? i want to run most of my gauges mechanical so there is less wiring. full pump can be ran by switch along with rad fans exc... and if im correct? then the 2jz is OBDii right? so will that make it harder to work with rest of the old OBDi 3vze? i don't think it should matter but just wondering lol.

ok im going to leave it at that lol. any in put? don't say 5vzfe haha.

Last edited by 91_TOYOTA_4x4; 11-22-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
combining several threads, so let this thread be for 2JZ questions.

Lots of "what ifs" and "maybes" but I have yet to see someone actually perform the conversion.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
combining several threads, so let this thread be for 2JZ questions.

Lots of "what ifs" and "maybes" but I have yet to see someone actually perform the conversion.
The Transmission situation is very simple.
Manual: Buy a swap with the R154 5 speed. Take the bellhousing and input shaft out of the r154 and install them onto the R150. Manual transmission is done.
Automatic: Buy the inchworm pre-runner adapter and bolt it to the back of the A series on the supra swap you have. Bolt on your gear driven case and that is done.

I dont have many pictures but I can take more. This is a very good friend of mine's truck. It is a 1JZ with a SAS and his R150 transmission is done like I explained above. This picture is about a week before It went on the road but it is driving now.

Last edited by boomyanker; 12-03-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 PM

2jz-ge with auto trans?

ok let me start off by saying i dont know toyota transmission codes yet so bear ith me.(i know the 5 speed codes) i have a 2nd gen 4runner 4x4 auto. i want to ditch the 3vz honestly ive had some some problems with it and just dont trust it anymore. i have been looking around for swaps. my brother is familiar with supras so i know what the 2jz is capable of reliability wise. i am thinking about using a 2jz-ge what would solve my transmission problem i want to keep the stock auto. some people say you need a 1j bell housing others say they just bolt up i just want a clear answer. thanks alot mike
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM

I will tell you what I do know but have not tried it at all so I can not say for sure it will totally work. Now the 2jz-ge and the 3slow torque converter cases are identical. My 4runners torque converter took a dump on me several months ago and a local shop needed a good core in order to rebuild. I didnt have another 4runner one but had 10 2jz-ge converters laying around. Measured it all and was excited to have a match. So in theory you can take the bellhousing from a 2jz-ge, bolt it to your stock automatic transmission and use the stock A340 (4runner) torque converter. Now the engine harness plugs that run to your transmission are going to be a little different so you are going to need some wiring done. Again I have not done this so Im not 100% sure it will work. But I do know my 4runner has a converter from a SC300 in it now. Honestly I could not even tell you if the guts of the 2jz-ge converter are the same as the 4runner because mine was split in half and totally rebuilt and I was not there to compare the internals. I would imagine they are different though.

Now with that all said I also know that the Non turbo bellhousing will bolt to the twin turbo motor. So in theory the same would apply. You should be able to bolt the non turbo bellhousing to the twin turbo motor. bolt that bellhousing to the your stock A340 and using the stock 4runner converter everything should work fine.

I would not suggest using the stock a340 without some type of good aftermarket cooler.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Good auto trans

So what would be a good auto 4x4 tranny to run? There were a lot of A3xx transmissions out there.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:15 PM

if anyone can verify this that would be great preferably someone who has done the swap not just hearsay. and btw i beleive my stock auto would be fine i would be using the 2jzge not the 2jzgte(non turbo/turbo)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM

what would it take to just run the stock w56 behind a 1jz/2jz ?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will need a bellhousing flywheel and clutch out of a vehicle runnung a 2JZ-GE. So, a non-turbo MKIV Supra, IS300, SC300, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM

will the input shaft be a problem?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:47 PM

Not on a W series.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by budahphaze
So what would be a good auto 4x4 tranny to run? There were a lot of A3xx transmissions out there.
The best option which would be far from the cheapest is to buy the adapter and run a built TH400 behind the supra engine.

Not many budgets can afford this. The A431 out of the turbo supra is going to be stronger than your pick-up or 4runner 4x4 trans. so running the A341 and a inchworm pre-runner kit would be the strongest combination from toyota parts.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 AM

I've personally seen stock TT Supra autos handle 700whp with higher line pressure. HKS makes an upgrade kit for the A340 to increase the pressure.

It doesn't shift terribly nicely at those levels though.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 PM

1993 Toyota truck with a 2jz, Lexux sc300 engine

Hi all, I am a bit new to this but I have a 1993 Toyota 2wd truck that I am most of the way through installing a stock 2jz-ge from a 1996 SC300. I bought the engine, transmission, harness and ecu all out of the same car so the install has been fairly straight forward thus far. The engine/transmission is in and I am in the process of making power steering hoses, re-wiring the alternator and most things under the hood but I am kind of avoiding the daunting task of the wiring into the cab. I have the battery hooked up and I have all of the gauges as far as I can tell and I have lights and such but I need to hook up the starter initialization so it will crank when I turn the key. I still have no exhaust and the radiator is not hooked up yet, (hose inlet and outlets are on opposite sides they need to be on) but the wiring is a stumbling block. Any ideas where I should start? I have 34 wires coming from the SC300 harness and 33 wires from the truck but which one goes where?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Google a pinout for the sc300 harness, and a pinout for your truck harness. Match up the wires that you can figure out.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:03 PM

i got a an aristo 2jzgte in garage for my 240sx. thought about putting it in my 4runner but then remembered it was a total rust bucket lol. for the wiring there is three plugs on the ecu. you leave the top two plugs alone. the bottom plug is the chasis harness where there is about 7 wires to hook up: 12v switched, 12v constant, grounds, ign signals ect.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM

Yeah, that third plug is the one that most motor sellers don't give you because it's not part of the engine harness, but you need it for all the power wires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official 1JZ/2JZGE 2JZGTE Swap thread