1UZ-FE into 1988 4runner 3.0 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:19 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by dunnarunner
Hi there,
I have had a really good read here about this mod of yours. 1st congrats on the rebuild, you will be very happy with the power the engine puts out, i am a V8 addict and have been for many years. I have used an Australian engine in mine and it is a 5.7ltr with a T700 behind it, and I did like you sat there and worked it out on my own in many places. I found it just makes you feel good about your achievement. I also modified my dash and changed instruments as well. mine is on another rebuild, still using the Holden engine but I too have gone for the fuel injection setup, and I can't wait to go bush with it again. once again congrats, and enjoy yourself it will be a ton of fun.

Thank alot Man !!

I read thru your build and really liked the shower you installed , may have to do that to mine .

I am surprised you didnt go with the 1uz , almost all the info I was reading before my swap was coming out of austraila.But hey what ever works for you , right.

thanks again.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are welcome, I decided to go with the Holden motor because I already had 3 of them at one stage sitting in my shed, and here they are everywhere, you can almost pick parts up for them at the rubbish tip, but I was seriously thinking about it. If I didn't have any of the Holden motors, I would have used the same engine as you have.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM

Hey RMA great work man everything looks great
How much would you say you spent on the whole thing so far (if its ok to ask) i would just like some sort of idea because i am looking into doing the same swap except into a 2nd gen but im going to need some help
Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Talking

Hi there again, I have been scratching through your forum and found a guy that has done this mod to his vehicle, he is in Australia but he mat have some ideas as well for you. He is well known in one of the Australian forums and he is using the same name here as well, his user name is "Twisty" give him a look up, you might be happy with what he has done.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Hi there again, I have been scratching through your forum and found a guy that has done this mod to his vehicle, he is in Australia but he mat have some ideas as well for you. He is well known in one of the Australian forums and he is using the same name here as well, his user name is "Twisty" give him a look up, you might be happy with what he has done.
Australia and New Zealand are where these swaps originated from. www.lextreme.com has some writeups too.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

You are welcome, I decided to go with the Holden motor because I already had 3 of them at one stage sitting in my shed, and here they are everywhere, you can almost pick parts up for them at the rubbish tip, but I was seriously thinking about it. If I didn't have any of the Holden motors, I would have used the same engine as you have.

Yea If I had 3 other v8 just laying around I might have used them.

Originally Posted by RoBatt
Hey RMA great work man everything looks great
How much would you say you spent on the whole thing so far (if its ok to ask) i would just like some sort of idea because i am looking into doing the same swap except into a 2nd gen but im going to need some help
take a look at this thread I put down what I could remember.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158...-costs-192544/

Twisty has a great truck , read his thread.

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
Australia and New Zealand are where these swaps originated from. www.lextreme.com has some writeups too.

whats up man hows your swap coming along?

Thanks for that egr tube worked great , cut about a inch off and brazed it back together..
Old 11-22-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by RMA
whats up man hows your swap coming along?

Thanks for that egr tube worked great , cut about a inch off and brazed it back together..
Its coming...slowly. Because of my dual t-cases I had to cut out part of the floorboard and frame horsecollar. I've also been busy working on my house. Its supposed to got to the wiring guy at the end of the month.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RMA...

Great build man been following it since the beginning. I did a 7mgte in mine but wish I would have gone the 1uz route more and more...

I had the same issue on my electric fan install on my 7m swap I had it wired to a switch and just watched the temp and when i noticed it get to hi I would flip them on not the most ideal situation but it worked but i soon got tired of it. I ended up finding out form a friend that builds drift cars that you can use a Radiator switch off a 240sx (make sure you look for one from a SOHC motor Pre-1989). It goes inline on the top radiator hose and is triggered when the temp goes above 180(or 190) degrees. I just wired it into my acc power so it only has power to it when the motor is running. This eliminated and switches and I never have to pull fuses anymore.

Here's a pic of the switch (Not my car)

Name:  Thermoswitch240sx.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  86.6 KB

Last edited by mr3436; 12-01-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:14 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Thanks man .
Ive been driving this thing everyday now. (blew 2 freeze plugs on my 2wd DD been to lazy to finish fixing it.) .Love to be able to pass on hills and go around slow pokes when ever I feel like it . I am getting better mileage with this motor than the old 3.0 that was in my truck . 220,225,215 miles to a full tank . 3 full tanks that is. I was lucky to get 180,190 miles to a full tank with the 3.0 auto. This is with a heavy foot and I still havnet done a full tune up on the motor yet.

The fan I have is being controlled by this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16749/ I think I may have wired it wrong , if the fans are going and I turn off the truck they stay on . I havent worked on it yet but need to I also have one of those adapters like in the picture you posted between the hoses for the sending unit.

and sell the 7m swap and get a real motor in there.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi RMA, I read your post in the All Swap Costs thread, thanks! I was wondering if you could break this line down a little more:

sold ls 400 parts so far................................$1600

I'm considering this swap and have found a potential donor locally. I'd like to know what are the most valuable parts that aren't used for the swap so I can make sure they are in good condition when evaluating a donor. Did you sell all the parts locally or did you have to use eBay? Thanks for any tips!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 AM

Wow I bet with a tune you can get 20MPG +....

Looks like you have the fans wired directly to the battery or a constant power source. Go to you local auto parts store and pick up add a fuse and use the acc power and it should solve your issue.

Only reason I did the 7m is 1 had the motor 2 I cant weld and fab engine mounts require that and with the 7m you can use a mix of 5m and 22re mounts.

Last edited by mr3436; 12-04-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ignatz
Hi RMA, I read your post in the All Swap Costs thread, thanks! I was wondering if you could break this line down a little more:

sold ls 400 parts so far................................$1600

I'm considering this swap and have found a potential donor locally. I'd like to know what are the most valuable parts that aren't used for the swap so I can make sure they are in good condition when evaluating a donor. Did you sell all the parts locally or did you have to use eBay? Thanks for any tips!

sorry man , I did not keep a detailed list just keeping a running total in my head . The body panels ,doors, glass, bumper ,bumper brackets and cover sunroof,front spindles ,brake calipers ,rack and pinion after selling all the front end parts some one even came and bought the front clip sawed it right off with a sawsall., trunk rear lights seats radio ,switches .rear differential,tires and rims ,cd changer A/C stuff .
Still had alot of people wanting front end parts after I sold mine.

Originally Posted by mr3436
Wow I bet with a tune you can get 20MPG +....

Looks like you have the fans wired directly to the battery or a constant power source. Go to you local auto parts store and pick up add a fuse and use the acc power and it should solve your issue.

Only reason I did the 7m is 1 had the motor 2 I cant weld and fab engine mounts require that and with the 7m you can use a mix of 5m and 22re mounts.

Thanks man I had it wired direct.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM

Have you gone to the referee yet? I am very interest in doing this swap, but unfortunately I am also here in California so I am very eager to see how the smogging goes.

Does anyone know about the tranny requirements? I have heard that you may be required to keep an auto tranny behind it, but I would really prefer a manual.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

No man I havent gone to see the ref , but after reading another thread on here (3.0 to 3.4 swap) some one said the laws have changed and you cant modify the exhaust from the rear oxygen sensors to the block. I did do this , so well see what happens , im going to go see the ref like I have it now and see what they tell me .

The tranny thing I also dont know if you have to keep it auto.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:33 AM

I just fired up my 1UZ last night if you want to hear it. I have to tune the ISC and tune the fuel a bunch but that's what you get using an aftermarket ECU of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMwn...layer_embedded
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM

/drooooool
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Smitherz
I just fired up my 1UZ last night if you want to hear it. I have to tune the ISC and tune the fuel a bunch but that's what you get using an aftermarket ECU of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYMwn...layer_embedded

I remember the feeling smitherz , congrats man ..

Originally Posted by IngSoc
/drooooool
Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

I just found this thread and just read through the whole thing! Nice job man! Now time for SAS!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:59 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Hahah!! Thanks man , and no, no sas for me i really dont like the ride .. maybe on the 94 when my wife gets tired of it , then a 4.7 and sas on that one .

and thanks for the thirds...
Old 02-11-2010, 03:43 PM

I have read though this build in the past but had a few questions.

We're you able to retain the A/C and if not how hard do you think that would be?

Did you get the cruse control to work or even try?

If I was to get a 1uz from a wrecker would getting the complete engine/tranny and acc + harness and ECU work?

My truck now is 5spd do you think to simplify and save cost should I just convert to auto at the same time?

Really enjoyed reading this swap, would love to do it on mine too.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: 1UZ-FE into 1988 4runner 3.0 3vze