3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Swaped 3.slow for 3.4L NICE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will ask him next time I talk to him if I can post his email. He doesn't have a BL because of the custom scoop and the kit from ORS is $1200 and includes the harness, all necessary brackets, custom oil pan and dipstick tube, and a few other odds and ends. Ya I've been in touch with them for a while now!
Old 09-05-2003, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by elnip
I know Off Road Solutions developed a wiring harness and now they have a kit.
I think they will sell you only what you need for less than that $2K. Worth a try. http://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech...ersion_kit.htm

EDIT: fixed link..
i read that a while back. the problem is that harness is for the 2nd gen 4runners or 3rd gen trucks (89-95 trucks/90-95 4runners). i have a 88 4runner and i heard the wire harness changed some.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Beachtaco if you send them your harness they will custom make one. In fact that's what the recommend for all trucks because of suttle differences over the years.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The whole kit from ORS is 2k for now and looks like it will go up.

Mike mentioned them including or working on a scoop as part of this, perhaps this is one of them. It seems to match what he described.

If you do this yourself with kits, you are looking at 4k of parts price initially outlaid before the sale of the old stuff.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:07 PM

3.0 Swap for 3.4

guys, Seems I'm the center of attention on this swap. Just to clear a few things up. Yes, I did get my wire harness from ORS and that is ALL that I used from them in my swap. The harness a year ago was $350. As long as you are swapping in a 3.4 in place of a 3.0. There is not much you need. Your oil pan, Motor mounts from the 3.0 fit the 3.4 just fine. Your alternator and A/C pump will mount to the 3.4 brackets just fine. You will have to hunt down a different clutch pulley for the A/C pump. The 3.4 uses a serpentine type A/C belt and not the V belt used on the 3.0s. The reason I used the fan from the 3.0 is so it would clear the fan shroud in my truck. Yes, The radiator is mounted in its original location. The fan sets in the exact location as it did when it was mounted on the 3.0. The 3.0 and 3.4 use the same fan clutch so that is why the two fans will swap. The 3.4 fan is a little larger in diameter and did not clear the fan shroud. My truck does NOT have a body lift on it. The Hood scoop was my answer to the clearance problem. The 3.0 Flywheel, clutch and starter will NOT work on the 3.4. When you have the two side by side you will see why. The 3.4 has a much bigger clutch. Probably explains why a stock 3.4 clutch will hold up to the supercharger. Yes, The 3.4 with the larger flywheel and clutch will fit inside your original stock 3.0 Bell Housing in your truck or 4Runner the 3.0 and 3.4 share the EXACT same bolt up pattern to the transmission. Your 3.0 clutch fork and throw out bearing will work just fine. For those of you with Automatics. You will have to do some research on what obstacles may stand in your way. I know the Automatics are plenty strong enough and are the same automatics Toyota is still using in there trucks and 4Runners today. The main issues is the electronics that control the tranny and getting them to work with the 5VZ swap. Not sure what all you are faced with but as you will read below about other electronic issues with other accessories throughout the vehicle. You may be faced with swapping out tranny control units.
Now this is what you need to pay CLOSE ATTENTION TO....ORS does NOT provide a fix for these problems. If you want your Tach and A/C to work when you do this swap. You will need to do some transplanting of some electronic modules. If you do not change these modules. Your tack simply does not work and neither does your A/C. Since my truck does not have Cruise Control. I did not have that issue. but this same problem applies to those of you with cruise control. What I am talking about is anything that is electronic in your truck or 4Runner that monitors the engines RPMs. Think about what those parts are. The Tach, A/C and the Cruise Control. Now your probably thinking what's the big deal. Well, until the 5VZ engine came along. Just about every vehicle made used the NEGATIVE PULSE from the ignition to monitor the engines RPMs. Well, Toyota just had to be different with the 5VZ and NOTHING in the Tacomas or 4Runners use a negative pulse to monitor the engine. The 5VZ sends out a POSITIVE VARIABLE VOLTAGE from the ECU to the Tach, A/C and the Cruise Control. So, You guessed it. I actually took a Speedo cluster from a Tacoma Truck and graphed the tach and electronics and all into my 1991 cluster and when all put back together. You can't tell that I ever did anything to the dash panel. All the other gauges are original just in case you thought I swap all the gauges. Only the tach. Now for the A/C. On the cooling unit behind the glove box. There is an electronic card in a pocket on the side of the cooling unit. That has to be swapped with one preferably from the same year as what ever all the other parts are you are using in your swap. You will need a FACTORY Toyota wiring schematic from your truck or 4Runner and for what ever year the 5VZ donor vehicle is. I got photo copies of the pages I needed from the manuals at the local Toyota dealer. Try that, They are usually helpful. Take your time since this is a slight brain stresser when you are working with two very similar wiring schematics but they are different. Remember, on the older systems. The card was receiving signal from the negative side of the ignition. Well, on the 5VZ system. They are receiving a Positive Variable voltage signal from the ECU and NOT the ignition. I didn't do this part of my swap till this summer. When I did my engine swap. It was early last fall, so I was not to motivated to get the A/C system up and working since the weather was cooling off. Early this summer motivated me, especially since the truck is BLACK!! It only took about 3 hours to do it from start to finish. If all you want is a fast quick swap and a fast truck or a 4Runner. Swap out your tack panel for the Panel with only a Speedometer. Yank out the A/C and Cruise Control and that is a fast and simply way to eliminate those issues if you can live without those luxuries.
In my truck, The high pressure fuel line connected just fine to the 5VZ and so did the high pressure power steering line. ORS Told me that those two lines would not connect and I went ahead and bought the lines for over $200 and when I went ahead with the swap I thought I would just by a fluke chance see if my lines would connect and they did. Since ORS is a Custom built to order type place. There is NO REFUNDS so be sure you absolutely need something and check and see if yours will work regardless of what anyone says. It cost me $200 by not checking it out my self and listening to ORS. As far as cost go. Some of you are in disbelief on the cost of my swap. Well, I know what I paid and what it took and WITH a Supercharger I was no where near $4000 like some of you think the swap cost. Lets just say that right now on eBay there are remanufactured 3VZ TURD motors selling for more than the swap cost for a far better motor. I will say, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time and scored a killer deal on my 1st 5VZ. I paid only $600 for a complete engine with the engine harness and all accessories. The engine only had 9,000 miles on it. The only items I had to get was the ECU, Flywheel, Starter, Air Flow sensor and the ignition igniter and I picked all those up at a local just yard for about $400. So for a $1000 into the project I have everything except the wire harness. $350. Now I'm at $1,350. Ad another $150 for the miscellaneous stuff like gaskets, seals oil filter and the hood scoop I bought on eBay for $24. So now you see I am only into this swap without the supercharger only about $1,500. Ok, now I sold the perfectly good running TURD 3VZ on eBay for just over $1,200. Then the ECU, Ignition Coil, Air Flow meter, Air box and all the other parts under the hood for about another $500. Now I have a 5VZ in my truck and I am about $200 ahead or even if you want to count the $200 I wasted on the Fuel line and power steering line I bought from ORS that I never used. Sounds hard to believe, but that how it worked out for me. Since I did that swap at basically no cost plus a couple hundred dollars in my pocket. I though well lets go supercharge. I found it on eBay listed as BUY IT NOW and came with a set of new NEVER used still in the box downy headers and a cat back exhaust system for a 2002 Tacoma X-cab. I got the whole package with the shipping included for $2,000. The supercharger was only used for 3 days and so yes it was basically NEW.
The 5VZ are actually inexpensive since they are not in high demand yet. The 5VZ are still under warrantees and or are not old enough for a high demand replacements yet. Junk yards in my area have shelves lined up with them and very little inquires about them. The 3.0s on the other hand are on a waiting list since they are dropping like flies and are usually sold before they can get them pulled out of the trucks or 4Runners. Yes, The 3.0s are selling for a lot more than they sell the 3.4s. One particular yard in my area here in Spokane sold me a complete with ALL accessories including the ECU and all for only $100 last month. Yes, that is right, ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS. The reason is because they are over stocked on them, so they just cored it out. Guess I was in the right place at the right time again. For what ever reason, I asked if they had any junk core 5VZ lying arround and the guy check and came back and said they did have one being cored and that it is a good engine. I asked how much and it was in the back of my truck within minutes. LOL. That is the engine I am using in my current swap that is in progress right now. The $100 5VZ is going in a 1985 GT Celica. The last year for a rear wheel drive celica that used a 22RE engine. That is a plus since the car is all set up with the high pressure fuel system and all. I have a R150 5 Speed from a Turbo two wheel drive truck that is going in place of the W58 5 speed in the Celica. The R150 from the turbo is basically the same R150 that is in my 1991 Two wheel drive truck I did my 5VZ swap in. Yes, The V6 Bell housing will fit on the Trannys from Turbo trucks. Now you guys think that black truck of mine is fast and yes it is scary FAST!! 150 Plus MPH on Interstate 90 Near Missoula Montana. I need a 6th gear. I run out of RPMs in 5th. Truck has stock 3:48 rear end gears. Wait till the 5VZ is Supercharged in that 1985 Celica GT Coupe. I specifically wanted the Celica with the Solid rear axle and not the independent rear suspention used in the GT-S Celicas. The reason is if the power and torque is more than the rear end can take. I have learned that the rear axles in the first generation Supras are the only Supras with a solid axle from 1979 to 1981. They will fit in my 1985 GT and the best part is they use the same 8" ring and pinion That the Trucks use and some have factory limited slips. I hope I cleared up some loose ends, confusion and answered a few question. Sorry for being so long.

Take Care,
Matt McCullough
mmccuL3797@aol.com
Old 09-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

i think your truck is baaaddddddddd!

i completely agree that the supply curve has made buying 3.4's almost a joke. but with people like you around showing the potential for a clean swap it should soon change. guess ill see about grabbing another 5vz while theyre still cheap

welcome to yotatech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:29 AM

I know you said the 3.0 clutch will not work. What about those of us who want to reuse our HD 3.0 clutches? Shouldn't we be able to use our clutches as long as we use the 3.0 flywheel and starter? I know the stock 3.0 clutch may seem weak. Also - Marlin Crawler lists the same clutch for the 3.0 and 3.4 - it is based on the fact that both use the R150F tranny.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:10 PM

You have any dyno results or any ET times?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:21 PM

3.0 to 3.4 Swap

I have not dynoed or ran the 1/4 mile yet. As far as the 3.0 Flywheel fitting the 3.4. I don't see any reason why it would not fit. When I had both the 3.0 and 3.4 setting side by side. I took a very close looks at the crank shafts and they do look identical and both use 8 bolts to hold them on. I'm sure the reason it is not recommended is the friction surface on the 3.4 clutch disk is a lot larger and can hold up under a lot of power. Just to give you an idea of the amount of torque I am putting through a stock Toyota 3.4 Clutch. I towed a wrecked 1990 4x4 4Runner from Missoula Montana to Spokane Washington on Interstate 90. Anyone that has driven that stretch of I 90 knows about Lookout Pass. It is a VERY steep mountain pass for about 6 to 8 miles. I pulled that 4Runner rolling on its own 4 wheels up and over that pass in 5th gear averaging 80MPH. Yes, you read correctly. I was passing full size FORDS, CHEVYS and DODGES pulling boats, campers and what ever that were not even close to keeping the speed limit. The torque is the most impressive thing I must say. I have towed several other Toyota trucks with my Supercharged truck. All tow like I'm not towing anything. Passing on a two lane highway is not a problem with a Truck in tow. just drop to 3rd gear and your gone. Even with 3500 plus pounds of DEAD weight in tow. Some of you are probably wondering about fuel mileage. Well, its actually VERY good when not towing anything and driving relatively normal. On the highway not towing and averaging 70 MPH. I usually get about 26 MPG and that included a few sling shot passes of slow jackasses now and then. Now when I tow a truck. The mileage drops to around 17 to 18 MPG. I know what you are thinking. damn, that truck does the same mileage towing a heavy load as my truck empty with a TURD 3VZ engine. Bottom line, If you need to replace your engine or rebuild it. JUNK IT, go 5VZ!!! you will never regret it. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON A DEAD HORSE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!! "3VZ" JUNK. For those of you looking for a donor truck or 4Runner for a good 5VZ. Keep in mind if you plan to Supercharge. Try to stay 1997 or newer. 1995 is NOT supercharger friendly 1996 will work ok, but 1997 is the first all around good responder to a Supercharger. Now if you do end up finding a 1995 or 1996. The 1997 ECU will fit the engine harness plugs on the older two years. 1998 is ALL ALONE. Will not swap up or down any years. 1999 and newer ECUs will interchange with the plugs styles on the 2000 and up harnesses or vice versa with the newer ECU to an older hanress. 1999 to 2002. In my truck, The engine & Harness came from a 1996 5 Speed 4Runner but the ECU I am using is from a 1997 5 Speed 4Runner. I insisted on using the newest ECU that the older engine harness would except. Good luck and hope this bit of info helps you out.
Take care,
Matt McCullough
Old 09-07-2003, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
If I'm not mistaken, that's Cannonball Run on the DVD...
Cannonball Run 2, is it not?

I love this little truck. Also note the appreciation of high-end car audio (eclipse dvd player)....swanky.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:59 PM

Yes, That is Cannon Ball Run.

Matt
Old 09-08-2003, 12:02 AM

The jaw has officially dropped...

I finally read your two big posts above.....wow. I don't even think a '96 to 2000 non-prerunner 4x2 v6 will get 26 mpg and def not with the SC. I'm fighting the urge to ask you, if I bring my '00 taco pre v6 up to Spokane, would you drop it into a P'UP for me.

If you want to start a bizness with this, just post your work over at customtacos.com. Big community or low-rider yota's over there. You'd easily turn $5k - $8k a conversion.

In case I didn't make myself clear before, I am quite enamored of your truck.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Matt welcome and thanks for all the information!! I actually passed you today on the top of the Lewiston hill today on my way to Clarkston. We definitly need to get together and talk about this swap!!
Old 09-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

You guys remember this truck????? I just took a ride in it. Turns out this guy lives about 10 minutes from me. Truck looks very clean he's done a ton of custom work to it... 4-Runner front end, bucket seats, ect.. Anyways it's the first time I've ridden in a Yota with the TRD Supercharger and man you guys are lucky it sounds awesome. I'm not sure how the power compares but I'm pretty sure it's stronger in this rig because it is a little 2WD truck. It seems normal at slow rpms except for a ton of torque but when you hit 3 grand look out. We were on a freeway on ramp going 50 mph and he grabbed third from 5th and stood on it and we spun the tires!!!!!!!!! It will hit 80 in no time flat. I been stuck on the 3.4 swap for almost a year and now with the know how of doing 2 of them right down the road I think I'm outta excuses. Only thing holding me down is finding a beater to use as a daily driver to get to work while mine is down. Boy am I lucky... riding in a Supra Swapped rig and a SC'd 3.4 swapped rig in the same week.........
Old 09-09-2004, 09:17 PM

(jealous)

I want somebody to do 3.4 swap on Monster Garage. Start the petition now.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

OMG...I need to find a donor so I can drop a 3.4 into my '91 4x4!

Plus some money of course.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Boy am I lucky... riding in a Supra Swapped rig and a SC'd 3.4 swapped rig in the same week.........
Which did you find out to be better?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Troudt
Which did you find out to be better?
Hello Troudt, You need to ask UKMeyers. He was the one that rode in my Supercharged truck and drove a Supra 7M-GTE Turbo 4Runner.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:02 AM

howdy, well it looks like this thread is dead also. my 3.0 died on me satrurday night and i have been scrambling tryin to find info on swapping the 3.4 out of my 96 4runner into my 89 toyota pickup, the 89 is a 5 speed and the 96 4runner is auto. both are 4wd. i have looked on pirate and went to ORS but they seem to be out of business and i cant download their files and i was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction on doing this swap. my 89 toyota is my daily driver and i gotta get it runnin asap. thanks yall