3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Starting my 3.4 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting my 3.4 engine swap

I bought a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with the that hit a tree pretty good and since the frame is too damaged to fix and I couldn't be without my daily driver 93 pickup for however long it took me for the swap I went and picked up a 4runner with a blown engine for $500. So far I haven't bothered to push it into the garage so lack of daylight has been killing me but I got home from work at 8:00pm monday and about 6:30pm Tuesday and got the engine out of the 4runner at about 9:30pm Tuesday.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
that has to be the most dragged on sentence ever no punctuation ftw.

but yeah, looks like a good idea. something i wanna do in the near future, for sure.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Nice Baja. That second pic looks familiar. You the one selling that Tacoma bed on CL?

Is everyone doing the 3.4 now? Hope it all goes smooth, take lots of pics..
Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 AM

Haha yeah I was a bit tired when I wrote that last night. I fell asleep in the middle of it and had no time to proofread it before I left for work. But its about the swap not my horrible grammer skills.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:05 AM

Yeah I was just going to part it out but a guy called me wanting everything that I didn't want and could wait till I was done pulling all my parts. So the whole thing is sold. So has anybody swapped to the tacoma tranny and kept 4wd? I was wondering if it was possible to just swap transfer cases? I don't know the history on either transmission but I just trust the newer one with less miles but I haven't seen anybody use the tacoma transmission. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to use the 4runners 5 speed and just hope that its good.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:29 PM

So it looks like the only way to keep the newer tranny is with an adapter to fit an older transfer case from an 80's truck. For now I'm just going to hope that the existing 4runner transmission is good.

I have a few questions for the experts in here. My 4runner has what I believe is for rear abs mounted on the passenger side frame rail and connected to the power steering pump. Do I want to keep this or just get rid of it? Most swaps that I have seen don't have it.
Why do most people run the 3.0 radiator? It seams like having more cooling capacity from the 3.4 radiator would be a good thing.
I'm still undecided if I should hack up my hood or just throw on a small body lift. I've never been a big fan of body lifts but it seams a lot easier.
It seams like everyone does something different for their fuel line. Anybody think their way is the best bang for the buck?
What is a good clutch that is recommended? I might throw on the trd supercharger with fuel mods when I start getting the itch for more power so I want something that will hold up for when I do that.
There is so much of a mess with the ADD system. Most threads I have seen sound like they keep a good portion of it and just run vacuum to only one side when converting to manual hubs. Is that the best way?
Is the fuel pump from the Tacoma any better than the one from the 4runner or should I just not mess with that?
Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
heh... oh man.. lots of questions... do what i did and read the whole 3.4 swap section. Everything you need to know is in there. Otherwise my 3.4 swap wouldn't be done yet.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by baja_beetle
So it looks like the only way to keep the newer tranny is with an adapter to fit an older transfer case from an 80's truck. For now I'm just going to hope that the existing 4runner transmission is good.

I have a few questions for the experts in here. My 4runner has what I believe is for rear abs mounted on the passenger side frame rail and connected to the power steering pump. Do I want to keep this or just get rid of it? Most swaps that I have seen don't have it.

I kept mine. I hooked my power steering lines up the 3.4 pump (you need to cut a tab off one line, you'll see what I mean when you get there. Rear ABS works fine.

Why do most people run the 3.0 radiator? It seams like having more cooling capacity from the 3.4 radiator would be a good thing.

Because it fits, is my guess. I re-used the hoses from the 3.4 for mine. Had to cut a little, but they worked. The 3.0 rad works just fine. I went with an electric fan. Gained a little more HP and mileage.

I'm still undecided if I should hack up my hood or just throw on a small body lift. I've never been a big fan of body lifts but it seams a lot easier.

My hood closed without a lift, but there was some minor contact, so I cut the hood. It's a small, small hole on the driver's side that needs cutting. If I were to do it again, I'd cut a smaller hole than I have and use one of those scoops that looks like it's for a diesel intercooler.

It seams like everyone does something different for their fuel line. Anybody think their way is the best bang for the buck?

I spliced the old line into the new line using a high pressure coupler. Personally, I would see if I could get a single piece line made up. While the splice has never, ever leaked...well, it could. I check it fairly frequently for signs of leakage.

What is a good clutch that is recommended? I might throw on the trd supercharger with fuel mods when I start getting the itch for more power so I want something that will hold up for when I do that.

I went with the stock 3.4 clutch. The one on my donor engine looked brand new, so I didn't even swap it. Had the flywheel resurfaced, though. Over 100 000 kms on the swap without a hiccup.

There is so much of a mess with the ADD system. Most threads I have seen sound like they keep a good portion of it and just run vacuum to only one side when converting to manual hubs. Is that the best way?

Went with manual hubs. ADD seemed like too much hassle. Besides, this is easier on the CV joints over the long run.

Is the fuel pump from the Tacoma any better than the one from the 4runner or should I just not mess with that?

Don't even think you could. Fuel pump is in the gas tank. I wouldn't even bother, since the 3.0 fuel pump works quite well.

Thanks for all your help.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Hey thanks Rob. I have way way too many tabs open with parts to buy and have been reading stuff on the swap for 3 months now. So with ABS you can just use the stock 3.0 power steering lines with a slight modification? That sounds a lot easier than without abs.
So has anybody ran the 3.4 radiator? I figure bigger is better but what do I know.
I want to buy a new clutch. Whats a good one that will put up with the trd supercharger when I end up getting that?
What is the piece called that is between the cv axle and the diff housing? I want to try to pick up one without the ADD crap all over it.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
totally a bro
Staff

the 3.4 radiator is too much of a hassle to try to fit. the v6 3row radiator works plenty good. My fuel line bolted right up to my factory hardline. I'd hold on to the 3.4 fuel pump if you want to sc... just in case.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:25 PM

Okay I guess if everyone says to use the 3.0 radiator I will. I'm just worried about it because of stuff that I have heard with the 3.0 not having enough cooling.

On a side note I traded a friend the set of 35's I had on the Tacoma for a set of 33 inch AT's with a more aggressive tread pattern that look almost brand new along with some rims. The 35's had seen their fair share of abuse so I gave him $160 too but these will look pretty nice on the 4runner and even better once I give it a small lift.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 PM
totally a bro
Staff

it wasnt the cooling... it was head design and exhuast routing that was the 3.0' down fall. Fyi... for some gas money i'd be willing to come down and help you out. Got a couple 3.4 swaps done.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:39 PM

Isn't the exhaust routing pretty much the same on the 3.4? Hmm that sounds pretty tempting. I might want to get the exhaust crossover fabbed up first since I don't have welding experience. I just want to make sure I get a quality product that will last. Still have to find a shop to do it.
It looks like I might have a 4 day weekend next week too cause my boss is going down to the dunes. Wish I still had my baja bug.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by baja_beetle
Isn't the exhaust routing pretty much the same on the 3.4? Hmm that sounds pretty tempting. I might want to get the exhaust crossover fabbed up first since I don't have welding experience. I just want to make sure I get a quality product that will last. Still have to find a shop to do it.
It looks like I might have a 4 day weekend next week too cause my boss is going down to the dunes. Wish I still had my baja bug.
No, the exhaust on the 3.4 dumps down the passenger side, the 3.0 down the driver side. You need to build a crossover to bring the exhaust over to the driver side. Make sure you use a flex joint in it (you might be able to use the one that's on your 3.0 now). There is a thread on here about building your own crossover for $3 or so.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM

I know all that. I was saying that the exhaust routing is pretty much the same on the 3.0 vs the 3.4 with the exception of it dumping out on the other side. It was in reply to vital22re's post saying that the exhaust routing is a thing that caused the downfall of the 3.0. But with the exception of the side that it dumps out on the routing with it right behind the heads and crossing over the transmission bellhousing is pretty much the same. So how can it cause problems on one engine but not the other?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 AM

OOoooh, gotcha. Sorry, dude.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 AM

Its all good. Well except for the fact that you probably thought I was a total dumbass who shouldn't be even considering an engine swap. Haha
Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 PM
totally a bro
Staff

exhuast is not the same.. not even close. On the 3.0 the two banks tie in together right by cyl 6 on the head. It was so close that the back pressure would back feed the #4 and #6 (part of why the burnt valves were common on that). On the 3.4 they join together farther down and away from the head. If you have the factory 3.4 crossover a welder and cutting disks for your grinder. Make your own cross over. I've done 2 crossovers now, not super hard.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These guys will make you one for around $150 they also make plug and play harness's if you don't want to mess with it. I am sure you can have the crossover pipe done locally for less Finish Line might be able to do it. Sorry I didn't call got to messing around at home and had a few beers and wasn't driving any where after that.

http://toyonlyswaps.com/

Last edited by Lunnzz; 05-16-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 PM

I sent toyota only swaps an email asking if I could get a price for the exhaust and the wiring a couple of months ago but they never got back to me.
150 sounds pretty cheap though. I was expecting to spend more than that for the crossover. I was just planning on throwing the 3.4 in the back of my pickup and bringing it to a local shop to get the crossover done. Then bring them the rest of the exhaust from the tacoma once I get the 4runner running to maybe reuse it or just make something new. Is finish line pretty good with custom work?

Quick Reply: Starting my 3.4 engine swap