3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Quick Draw's 3.4 Swap for Doris

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick Draw
I ended up getting the scanner I had planned on:
http://www.amazon.com/ElmScan-Compac...4363098&sr=8-1

Now I see that I need to buy an OBDII connector. The one I have isn't the right one... I'm not sure what it is now, to be honest. OBDI? Please let me know if you have one!
same one that I have. It work good and the software is basic but everything you need.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys there is a bluetooth one right now on ebay for like 16 bucks. Its the same elm 327? or whatever. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELM327-OBDII-OBD...11105625818865

Coming from Hong Kong but the seller's feedback looks good....
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by hamish_18
guys there is a bluetooth one right now on ebay for like 16 bucks. Its the same elm 327? or whatever. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELM327-OBDII-OBD...11105625818865

Coming from Hong Kong but the seller's feedback looks good....
I wonder if that would work with my iPhone and the Rev app?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM

I was hoping it would Those were my thoughts exactly...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Did you order one Hamish?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:54 AM

No I already have the usb version that is plugged into my carpc. but I think my brother did for his taco. He has the iphone, and I told him about that software..
Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by hamish_18
No I already have the usb version that is plugged into my carpc. but I think my brother did for his taco. He has the iphone, and I told him about that software..
Get a report on that.

I have the USB version as well and it works fine but I always have my iPhone with me and a Bluetooth interface would be handy for simple things so I didnt have to drag the notebook out there every time.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay lots of stupid little things lately. In short, I flushed my radiator and upgraded the fan while I was in there. I battled some overheating problems, but solved them. I cut the hood. I got my computer hooked into the ECU. Now I've got a bad alternator. As soon as that's replaced, this thing should hit the road fairly soon.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Doris finally hit the road today. Aside from a few minor things, she drives great. I can't believe how much power this engine has!

Here's some pictures of my "custom" fan. Basically it's a 16" fan with a 12" fan motor in it. I wanted a big fan but really didn't have the space for it. So I made somewhat of a hybrid. So far it's been keeping it cool just great. I've been torture testing it, and temps always stay right around 190, and never go higher than 193.

The 12" fan I purchased used. I bought the 16" fan from AutoZone, and the brand is "TorqFlow". I'm pretty sure the 12" fan was either the same brand or a very similar one. In order to make the 12" fan's motor work correctly, I had to stack some washers to get the spacing correct. Otherwise it went right in. The 12" motor is super slim, but it really has some power to it.

FOR THOSE ATTEMPTING THIS SWAP ON A 1ST GEN: The engine bay seems to be shorter than later trucks. When I compared 2nd gen pickups with 3.4 swaps, it seems like they have another couple inches to work with. You will face more challenges to make everything fit. Just make sure your crossover is really tight, place the motor back as far as you can, and plan on getting creative with your fan. Otherwise, it's fairly similar to the swaps in newer trucks and it all seems to work pretty well.

I have one little video clip for all of you. Click on the picture, and it will redirect you to my photobucket album to view it.

I have kind of a cheap muffler... So it's not the most awesome exhaust note. But I like it. For somewhat of a budget swap, this thing turned out pretty good.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 AM

hey what game is that in your other pics
Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM

That would be "Rigs of Rods". It's a free download at rigsofrods.com. Essentially, it's a form of a physics simulator. Vehicles are based on nodes and beams. The deformation of these nodes and beams are based on spring rates and masses, which makes it fairly realistic. It's pretty cool because you can modify the trucks just the same as you would a real one. I'm not very computer savvy, but I was able to 4 link the axles on my trucks, swap in bigger tires, make the gears lower, make a winch, etc. by changing the coding in the program files for particular vehicles. So you can't actually modify the vehicles within the game, but it's still very easy. The website is a great tool to show you how.

If you just want to play with Toyotas, download the game, then go to the "Repository" and search Toyota and there are FJ40s, an '80 Pickup, a Hilux, etc. Download some of those, then download the map called "Rockcrawling Heaven" Then just go to town. If you get into it, you'll probably get the mod bug like me. Then like I said the website shows you how.

If you want a little beefier trucks, but don't want to mod them, I may be able to email you the files for these two:

Lol sometimes I hate telling people about the game, because I get excited about it, being somewhat of a dork. But I feel like when I tell people about the game, I come off as a WAY bigger dork than I actually am... Oh well. I'm going to school for engineering, so I better just embrace it.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Well I drove my truck to Colorado Springs and back (about 140 miles each way) this weekend. Overall I have 430 miles on the swap so far. On my first tank I got about 14 MPG, with a lot of idling and a lot of "flooring it". The engine and transmission performed beautifully. I'm very impressed. Now it's time to upgrade my chassis some. All that power in a truck with hundreds of rattles, no interior, a touch of death wobble, and marginal brakes isn't ideal.

Oh, and I broke a birfield already...haha. Damn torque. Going to have to get used to it.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, man, ..... just have to say, FANTASTIC work and also, ......what a SEXY BEAST Doris is! ..... especially with her new implant! hehe. Seriously, QD, ....VERY nice Build!

Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 AM

LOL well I AM a computer geek so its all good....
Old 01-25-2011, 10:48 PM

Well I drove my truck to Colorado Springs and back (about 140 miles each way) this weekend. Overall I have 430 miles on the swap so far. On my first tank I got about 14 MPG, with a lot of idling and a lot of "flooring it". The engine and transmission performed beautifully. I'm very impressed. Now it's time to upgrade my chassis some. All that power in a truck with hundreds of rattles, no interior, a touch of death wobble, and marginal brakes isn't ideal.

Oh, and I broke a birfield already...haha. Damn torque. Going to have to get used to it.
hahahaha

Quick Draw: great build man! Small world I used to be big time into my xr200 and used to read your posts many moons ago on thumpertalk. I didnt put 2 and 2 together untill I saw your cabin 2 track video. Apparently great minds think alike lol!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by tirogers
hahahaha

Quick Draw: great build man! Small world I used to be big time into my xr200 and used to read your posts many moons ago on thumpertalk. I didnt put 2 and 2 together untill I saw your cabin 2 track video. Apparently great minds think alike lol!
Hahaha...that's funny. What's your screen name over there? Wow I haven't been over there in a long time! I kinda got caught up in the truck stuff, and I haven't really done much to the bike in a few years.

I decided to cruise over there real quick. Looks like my sticky from 2006 is still up. And I've got a few PMs asking me how to clarify something that I have long since forgotten.

By the time I had gotten a driver's license and took my Tacoma on a trail run for the first time, I was hooked. I never really looked back at the bikes. Although I still ride every once in awhile.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:02 PM

ThumperTalk

Thanks guys!

Hahaha...that's funny. What's your screen name over there? Wow I haven't been over there in a long time! I kinda got caught up in the truck stuff, and I haven't really done much to the bike in a few years.

I decided to cruise over there real quick. Looks like my sticky from 2006 is still up. And I've got a few PMs asking me how to clarify something that I have long since forgotten.

By the time I had gotten a driver's license and took my Tacoma on a trail run for the first time, I was hooked. I never really looked back at the bikes. Although I still ride every once in awhile.
Same here, my bike is neglected, My name on ThumperTalk is the same as here TiRogers, not a big poster there, just a lurker.

How many miles has your 3.4 swap seen?

Just got a job, and can afford to have the crossover welded up now! Then its on!!!!! I started a build thread here but haven't posted in a while.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM

So far I've only got about 500 miles on it. My plates expired yesterday. I took it in for emissions on Friday, but ONE MILE away the CEL kicked on. Something with the EVAP system. Otherwise they say I would've passed. So I'm going to mess with EVAP and see if I can get that light to stay off. Currently in Colorado, the high temp for today is 0 degrees... So I was thinking I might wait until it gets a bit warmer at the end of the week to do anything. I already have to pay a late fee for my registration, so I'm no longer in much of a rush.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:00 PM

I think that signals the end of the engine swap! Thanks for all of the help guys!
Old 03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Good to see another successful swap. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Quick Draw's 3.4 Swap for Doris