3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Quick Draw's 3.4 Swap for Doris

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick Draw
That's the plan, Molly. Doris should look pretty funny with 33s on blingin' Ivan Stewart wheels...

So now I'm on the hunt for an EVAP VSV. I didn't realize until doing some reading today that I don't have one! Since it is attached to the body harness and not the engine harness, it was not included like I thought it was. If you have one, let me know!

Question:
Are all Toyota EVAP VSVs created equal? Or do I absolutely have to get one from a '96 T100?
All of my VSVs were incoperated into the 3.4 engine harness...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the unique challenges of having the T100 as a donor is that the Evap VSV is part of the body harness and connects to the ECU via IE2. I was really confused because I couldn't find it for the longest time, and started to worry that it was cut off. I looked back at my EWD and found that VSV had the box with "IE2" in it between the ECU and VSV. Then after some searching, I confirmed that this is the case with T100 donors.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member

OOh good info to know. Thanks for posting up the solution to that!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Okay so I got a VSV on the way from Jim's Used Toyota Parts. In addition, I should be getting a fuel pump and a o2 sensor flange in the mail fairly soon. And that should just about wrap up my parts list. After that, I just need to button it up.

Since all of this began with a failed wiring harness, I just modified an '82 harness I had to work with my '80. In total I had to splice about 50 wires in order to make the steering column and gauge cluster connectors right. That's a lot more than I had planned on, and it makes me a bit nervous...but I really took my time with the connections, so hopefully it's fine. \

Also, I made a battery tray and mounted the battery. The original one was a rusty POS and it was getting into the air filter's business too much.

With the exception of the VSV, all the vacuum lines have been ran and are finished.

Here are some pics as requested. Sorry, not much progress to see. Also, the good pictures you've seen so far are from my girlfriend's iPhone...and these are with my crappy cell phone.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Since I was in my photobucket account anyway, I thought I would show you all what Doris was like when I first got her...

Not bad progress considering I bought her 2 years ago on December 20th.

Last edited by Quick Draw; 12-13-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Oh I remember that crazy day!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Haha yeah, that was an interesting day for sure....

Well the body wiring seems to be good. Toyota switched up a couple wire colors in the gauge cluster, but I sorted it out pretty quickly.

It's nice to see a little spark of life in my baby.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Whoo Hoo!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:28 AM

So I got my fuel pump in the mail yesterday and put it in. First of all, my COR is actually wired like 3.0L and not like most 3.4s. Apparently it's another goofy T100 thing. So I had to change that around to make it actually work. So then I tried to start it and found a few leaks... When that was fixed, it still wouldn't start. I think it's not getting spark because I'm not done with the wiring. I was hoping I had just enough connected to get it to start, but apparently not. So the plan is to just finish the wiring, and hopefully that will make the ECU happy and it will start.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM

SHE RUNS!!!! Finished the wiring. Fired right up. It would've happened sooner, but I've been busy with the holidays and getting my girl friend's Christmas presents on her Tacoma:

Her Dad got her the Trail Gear front bumper, which wasn't as easy to install as they said it would be...

So tomorrow, I'm going to try and pull my truck out of the garage... I still need to mess with the shifter linkage some, fill up the t-cases, bolt on the shifters, etc. No exhaust yet...but I don't have any neighbors for quite some distance. So I just can't wait! Besides, we just got 4" of snow! It's time to play!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sweet. I remember that feeling when it started right up. Great feeling of accomplishment even thought there was much more to do.

Good job!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 PM

SHE DRIVES! Just tied up some loose ends today. And then I found that a transmission cooler line had been knicked at some point... So after a run to the parts store, I got a new line and drove her around the property. Sorry, no pics. It was dark by the time I got the new line in.

Tomorrow: Clean up the mess!

EDIT: I should mention that we had a high of 11 degrees today...and I was outside changing this line when it was 5! Tells you how much I love this truck, huh?

Last edited by Quick Draw; 12-31-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM

So I had some problems today. It was really cold last night, and the radiator froze somehow, even though it had 50/50 mix of antifreeze... So I thawed it out, and then discovered that at some point some little critter put a bunch of seeds into the radiator!?! So I'm going to have to pull the radiator, flush out the system, and refill it.

Also, in double low gear, my torque converter won't unlock? What gives? It does fine in every other gear...

I managed to get a little photo shoot for you guys:

Old 01-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Doris is looking good. I think I missed where you talked about what your plans are for the hood. I reskimmed the thread but didn't see it.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks! I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not. I'm just going to cut out a little square around the part of the intake manifold that doesn't clear, and then pop one of those stick-on hood scoops over it. Since the truck is spray painted anyway, it will be pretty easy to paint it up. The other thing that doesn't quite clear is the radiator cap. It's just hitting some of the bracing under the hood, so I'll just take a hole saw to it. And hopefully that'll do it.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM

I ended up getting the scanner I had planned on:
http://www.amazon.com/ElmScan-Compac...4363098&sr=8-1

Now I see that I need to buy an OBDII connector. The one I have isn't the right one... I'm not sure what it is now, to be honest. OBDI? Please let me know if you have one!

Last edited by Quick Draw; 01-06-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM

I have a spare odbII connector, but I robbed the leads out of it for my setup. During this process I found that while the connector itself is standard (number of pins, shape, etc), the pins inside them are not (a pin from one connector won't necessarily slide in and lock in another connector). I had to find 3 different ones out of the junk yard before I found the right combination of plugs and pins to wire mine up.

FWIW, repinning them is easy.

I'd recommend figuring out how many leads you need then go junk yard shopping for any newer vehicle find one with at least the number of pins you need and snip it out. This does not need to be a yota (so no dealing with Jims, etc)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Good to know, Doug...thanks! One question for you though: How do I know how many pins I need?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quick Draw
Good to know, Doug...thanks! One question for you though: How do I know how many pins I need?
Funny you should ask. Santa brought me a odb scanner too .

I think the standard is only 4. 2 grounds (pin 4 &5), 1 hot (switched) (pin16) and the SIL connection from the ECU (pin 7).

My diagram also shows a feed from the tach (pin 9) and the wfse feed from the ECU (pin 15).

I didn't think I needed the SIL (thought it had to do with airbag since the SRS was tied into it via a junction), so only ran the wfse, but my scanner wasn't working and was just searching on the SIL. Hooked that up and I'm golden now.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanks, Doug. Check your PM over on TTORA. I just had a clarification, and it's probably easier to discuss there...especially for me. YotaTech has so much stuff on its site that it takes forever to load on my crappy connection.

Quick Reply: Quick Draw's 3.4 Swap for Doris