3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Oregon's Lone Wolf 3.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poleclimber63
You're right, with enough time,info and if you break it down, its not that difficult! BUT one has to have the desire, ambition, and patience to take on a project like yours! An engine replacement, such as mine, is really child's' play compared to your project!
Luckily, on this site and t4r, there's a large pool of experience to draw upon. There's always someone that's done "it" or had "that" problem!
When members post experiences like yours, mine and others, together with the explanations, photos and the enthusiasm we provide, I believe, this creates the impedious for others to possibly do and try things they wouldn't have otherwise attempted. The average guy can do it, with the right mix of encouragement and knowledge!! AND money! Let us know how it goes!!
Living a frugal life leads to immense motivation. I don't like car payments all too much

I completely agree. There are a great deal of passionate people out there that love doing this and helping others. For me I believe in "sharing the wealth" the best I can with what little I know. I am sure everyone will agree they are grateful for others sharing their experience that made their swap a success.....it is as though we are a rare club. People helping people........should be more of that these days.

I admit, I don't know what the heck I am doing. But, if there is something I haven't seen well explained in other posts, I will enjoy doing my best to make sure people understand it better. For example, I don't know of a post on how to run a swap without an EVAP can. TO some it is common sense if they understand the system. I had an idea of how it worked, just needed clarification and someone cleared up the confusion. Now I can share that with others. Sites like this are so helpful.

I might shoot some videos........

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-12-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oregon'sLoneWolf
Living a frugal life leads to immense motivation. I don't like car payments all too much Country boys can survive. lol Makes more sense to me to keep a paid off rig and upgrade it than buying a new used truck for twice the amount of the swap with problems in the engine that will need to be addressed later down the road. Well maintained, the 3.4 is an outstanding engine. My neighbor had his just turn 450,000!!! I'm keeping her till I die. Toyota made their rigs RIGHT!! They hold their value for a reason. Sure wish I kept my 65 FJ 40.

I completely agree. There are a great deal of passionate people out there that love doing this and helping others. For me I believe in "sharing the wealth" the best I can with what little I know. I am sure everyone will agree they are grateful for others sharing their experience that made their swap a success.....it is as though we are a rare club. People helping people........should be more of that these days.

I admit, I don't know what the heck I am doing. But, if there is something I haven't seen well explained in other posts, I will enjoy doing my best to make sure people understand it better. For example, I don't know of a post on how to run a swap without an EVAP can. TO some it is common sense if they understand the system. I had an idea of how it worked, just needed clarification and someone cleared up the confusion. Now I can share that with others. Sites like this are so helpful.

I might shoot some videos........
Totally agree on the Toyota 4R front... The 3.4L engine is really great! Unfortunately, the previous owner of my truck didnt maintain it, hence my replacement! There are scads of members on this site with huge mileage numbers which is a real kudo for Toyota's quality and design. With the 3rd gen, not only is the engine awesome, but so is the whole drive train! I also plan on keeping my truck till they bury me!

By the time I unloaded my Chevy Suburban it was basically junk---- too many maintenance issues including transmission failure... I tried to keep ahead of it, but when major components started to have problems, with all of these added together, the cost of repair would have approached the value of the vehicle!!! Also when minor components started failing for the second and some cases the third time, combined with a rear end failure($2600--- way more than my replacement engine for my Runner, I might add), I was done. I sold it to a mechanic for a fraction of the purchase price. Parts for the Chevy were in many cases, ridiculously expensive. The amazing thing was my 4Runner was older than the Suburban... Aside from my engine replacement, the only failures I've had with my 4R are: a rear axle seal and alternator (swapped in the JDM alt in 20 min) AND not one interior component has broken... in nearly 3 yrs of fairly hard useage. I've never been stranded and I've always made it home. Not bad for a 16 yr old vehicle.

This site along with T4R.org, are truly amazing! I also own a Corolla, Mits Lancer and a Mazda and I'm a member of forums supporting these vehicles. None of these sites are close to as active and as rich a source of info as this site and T4R!! Thanks all!

Looking forward to more of your posts--- Good Luck!!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:46 PM

Well, today was a total PITA. I had modified my 3.4 starter harness with just the starter wire and the trigger wire that goes into the cab. First off, I have pretty big paws and that starter is in a not so friendly place. It really only goes in one way due to the tight location of the inner pass fender.

Here is a hint.........if you plan to use the 3.0 starter, with the 3.4 starter harness.....DON'T forget to swap the starter trigger plug connector with the one for the 3.0.......or just a spade with some solder!! Also, attach that darn wire BEFORE you install your starter!!

After I got it installed I tried for 45 min to get the right angle to push it in, from 3 locations turning it every direction.......only to find out I HAD THE WRONG PLUG as I didn't think to swap it out with the 3.0 one. So out it came once again to check the plug and I couldn't remember how it went back in GRRR........total job took about 2.0 hours, about 20 curse words and a bruised and swollen back of the hand from it being jammed against the hard lines while getting it flush with the starter mount. Waaaaa

Figures I would get this far without a hitch only to have the starter give me grief.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-12-2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by poleclimber63
Totally agree on the Toyota 4R front... The 3.4L engine is really great! !!
Yup great vehicles for sure!! I too have to change my rear seals on the axle. It messed up my ABS so, I'm sure when I get it cleaned if should work. Should be a real easy job in comparison to what we have worked on that's for sure.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:32 PM

Oh how I wish I had the 3.4 donor on hand. I went down to the U pull to try to find the downpipe and the PS mount with NO luck out of 4 4Rs and and 3 Tacomas. Looks like I have to order them from somewhere. I"m prob screwed with the downpipe as the cat is attached to that section and it is illegal to sell the cat so they must cut them after they get the engine pulled. Looks like I will have to get aftermarket for that section...........rats! And I have to send my Ram air Intake back and wait as they sent me one for a Ranger! So much for quality control in the shipping dept. My harness isn't here yet either.....SOOOO...........I wait!
Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I bought a $100 magnaflow cat.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I bought a $100 magnaflow cat.
Rock and roll man! Yeah, I think that will be my best option. Thanks for the info as there will be no way for me to find a down pipe at the yard. I just wish they were still $100. Now they are going for $305 as I need the entire attachment from the flange down to cat. I can get one from Canada though for $174.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-17-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:58 PM

Let the follies begin. SO, there I was with the engine in with it in neutral and the darn thing didn't roll. I had thought for sure (since this is all new to me) that I had done something wrong in the process. I must have put the clutch plate on backwards and it was catching on something........yet I was 98% sure that I did put it on right. It felt like it was just in gear when I rocked it in neutral. I Bled the clutch system twice, adjusted the pedal.....still wouldn't roll and felt like it was engaged still..............something MUST have been bound up inside I thought.

I spend the day pulling the engine and checking things over. It appeared the clutch plate had to be moved as the alignment tool didn't fit nicely. I figured I had found the problem. Put it all back together. DAMN THING STILL DIDN"T ROLL!!

I lifted the rear tires and ...........the freakin parking brake had just frozen up on the Pass side and the drive shaft turned when moving the other wheel. lol Oh well, at least I'm getting to be a pro at pulling the engine. Good grief!! Makes sense now as I hydrolocked the engine and had the entire undercarriage buried in water during freezing weather. Might as well do a rear brake job while I'm at it.........never done that either might as well learn. I should do the rear seals at the same time as I have one blown one. I bet the diff breather is clogged too.

Sure did wish I had waited for Wyoming's response to a PM as he hit the nail on the head. Oh well, it's all a learning process I guess.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-17-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:42 AM

Still waiting on the wiring Harness

I admire those that could have figured out the wiring diagram for the dash harness, but I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. Help was offered by a few people......and for that THANK YOU!! I just don't have that much confidence to know I won't start a fire or fry something. As it is I will most likely have to trouble shoot what I may have messed up on the Auto to Manual plug hook up. We shall see.

Still waiting for me harness from ToyOnlySwaps in my home state of Oregon. They said it would be 3 weeks but something came up and it would be longer.
Not having a daily driver is making this former Marine a bit unhappy. My days of hiking should have been over.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-28-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:01 AM

Have patience. We all know what it's like to be waiting earnestly for something like that. Have a cold one!
Old 02-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser
Have patience. We all know what it's like to be waiting earnestly for something like that. Have a cold one!
Thanks man, I think I was just having a high estrogen moment and was just venting. lol
Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your making videos we all want a Hot Chick doing the narrative and holding the pointer to direct attention to interesting objects.

Since your getting so good you can come for a visit and do my swap!!!

Are you running the exhaust down underneath or making a cross over pipe up top??

I wonder if the Harness guy quit and they are really trying to find some one new??Which can really be very hard.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 PM

Your project looks good and thanks for recording it in this write up! I'm definetly gonna bookmark this one and save it for my own swap someday!

Hey what is ToyOnlySwaps charging for the harness upgrades?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If your making videos we all want a Hot Chick doing the narrative and holding the pointer to direct attention to interesting objects.

Since your getting so good you can come for a visit and do my swap!!!

Are you running the exhaust down underneath or making a cross over pipe up top??

I wonder if the Harness guy quit and they are really trying to find some one new??Which can really be very hard.
Come to think of it, a hot babe doing the narrative sure would keep guys attention. I really think a step by step video would be a great seller. Hmmm.........maybe get ORS and ToyOnlySwaps to sponsor it and using their parts. I think I just might be on to something here. But before I even think about it, I have to get my engine working first. And umm, you are the one helping me my friend......not so sure you would want ME to do YOUR swap. lol

Now you have my wheels turning. I did study video productions in school.....hmmm

Cross over pipe was finished up and bolted on. I had my neighbor help me with that one as he's a welder. Amazing what a 12 pack of beer and a pack of smokes can get a guy.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-26-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:32 PM

At last my harness came in. Very nicely done and labeled. I did have to cut off the starter lead that clips in as my starter had a different plug. I had already ran it into the cab so it was not big deal soldering the two together. I have no idea how I will get them all in that small space. NO surprise though.

Final engine wire check all seemed to be good to go. Put the key in turned the key and...... I had power to my lights and my wipers didn't go on instead. Perhaps I was on the right track I thought. I turned the key and she rumbled, tried to start, and she just wouldn't take. I had fuel, spark and ignition, but a backfire out the exhaust without complete ignition had me thinking my timing was off one turn at the crank (360 degrees) and out of the compression stroke of TDC. Booster hose is hooked up with one way check valve......hmmm maybe I have it backwards.
I pulled the timing cover and my marks did line up on the cams and crank to timing marks. I need to check the mark on the crank gear though. I do vaguely remember the possibility of turning the crank to line the mark up with the belt off but I swore I was so careful not to move anything. If I did, then I turned it once, and maybe not twice to line the 1st piston TDC as I think that would have to happen. Am I thinking about this correctly?

I was hoping it would have just fired up and ran, but it would have been a surprise with all I had done to it prior to it going in.

Before I tear into the timing belt, could there be something with the wiring at the ECU that would cause the problems? I just really think my timing is out of wack..I'm not looking forward to pulling the crank pulley and finding TDC. Now, where did I put my compression/vacuum guage. hmmm But wait, I have a balloon.

In the pit of my stomach, I'm afraid now of bending my valves with adjusting things. I think I want to puke.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-28-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hezzy
Your project looks good and thanks for recording it in this write up! I'm definetly gonna bookmark this one and save it for my own swap someday!

Hey what is ToyOnlySwaps charging for the harness upgrades?

Thanks
Thanks man, but keep in mind there are far other good pages out there to get info from. This just might be a "what could go wrong" write up. lol Just do as you are doing, read read read, then read some more. lol

In all honestly, I have no idea what I am doing, but I thought I would give it a shot anyway. So far it really isn't that bad though. Just take your time I guess is the only advise I could really give ya.

As for the harness, it was $400. Like many, wiring scares the bejesus out of me, even if it is 17 wires. The diagrams just look like colorful spaghetti to me.

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-26-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just think before you remove the crank pulley and need a new bolt.

If your timing was that far off I doubt you would have had anything unless lots of fuel in the exhaust system.

Could just be a poor connection at almost any place . Things can corrode from just sitting that you can`t see by eye but test ok with your meter .

Poor ECM ground

The igniter plug is another good one.

loose fuse in the block.

Yes the video sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just think before you remove the crank pulley and need a new bolt.

If your timing was that far off I doubt you would have had anything unless lots of fuel in the exhaust system.

Could just be a poor connection at almost any place . Things can corrode from just sitting that you can`t see by eye but test ok with your meter .

Poor ECM ground

The igniter plug is another good one.

loose fuse in the block.
I'm working on it again tomorrow. I have a feeling one of the plugs might have bad connections as I really had to force to get the lock on the back of the ECU plug to snap in. It just so happens to be the E5 plug with most of the ign and ground wires for some of the systems.

Regarding the ECU, does it have to be screwed to the body to get a ground, or do the black and white wires in there have enough of a ground?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oregon'sLoneWolf
I'm working on it again tomorrow. I have a feeling one of the plugs might have bad connections as I really had to force to get the lock on the back of the ECU plug to snap in. It just so happens to be the E5 plug with most of the ign and ground wires for some of the systems.

Regarding the ECU, does it have to be screwed to the body to get a ground, or do the black and white wires in there have enough of a ground?
My ECU is laying loose in my kick panel. I have the appropriate ground screwed in around the kick panel area but ecu is layin loose
Old 02-28-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
My ECU is laying loose in my kick panel. I have the appropriate ground screwed in around the kick panel area but ecu is layin loose
OK Vasin, now we could be getting somewhere as my ECU is not grounded. You had mentioned the appropriate ground wire. Which one is that as I don't recall unscrewing one from the 3.0 ECU. Is it just a ECU case ground to frame wire, or is it a wire in one of the plugs?

Last edited by Oregon'sLoneWolf; 02-28-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Oregon's Lone Wolf 3.4 swap