3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Need some slightly less common info

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some slightly less common info

So, I am trying to find some info on the 5vz that isn't readily available and I was hoping someone may be able to help me or point me in the correct direction.

I have a TE72, 80 Corolla, that I want to put a 5vz into when I kill the tired 3t-c.

I have stumbled across 1 or 2 posts saying its too tall for a car, but then some people say just the intake is. So I was hoping maybe someone had the dimensions of the motor. Trying to get height with intake and height without. And if the info is available, north to south size and east to west size.

Is the 5vz mostly front sump?

And last, is the R transmissions the only real option for this motor? And how close is the R trans size when compared to a W?

I figured this would be a good forum to post since in my searchs, google has sent me here many times.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool project. I have no idea but I'll give you a bump, maybe knows. Is a hood scoop not an option for you? Body lift?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
5VZ can be front, middle, or rear sump. Just depends on the vehicle it was in. You can convert the engine to whatever you need very easily with factory parts.

As for dimensions, the engine is overall very tall. The intake adds that much more. With the intake, it is roughly 2" taller than a 3VZ at its tallest point. As for actual size, I don't have those measurements. 5VZ in a Corolla would be neat. And besides, there is only one way to find out. Do it!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by UtahSleeper
So, I am trying to find some info on the 5vz that isn't readily available and I was hoping someone may be able to help me or point me in the correct direction.

I have a TE72, 80 Corolla, that I want to put a 5vz into when I kill the tired 3t-c.

I have stumbled across 1 or 2 posts saying its too tall for a car, but then some people say just the intake is. So I was hoping maybe someone had the dimensions of the motor. Trying to get height with intake and height without. And if the info is available, north to south size and east to west size.

Is the 5vz mostly front sump?

And last, is the R transmissions the only real option for this motor? And how close is the R trans size when compared to a W?

I figured this would be a good forum to post since in my searchs, google has sent me here many times.
It is the intake manifold, not the intake air filter. You can mount the air filter wherever you wish but the manifold is part of the motor. As for the transmissions, it would be a bellhousing issue. If the bellhousing can bolt up to your transmission, I don't see why any other transmission wouldn't work (manual) but you may have to redo the crossover/transmission mounts....
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Cool project. I have no idea but I'll give you a bump, maybe knows. Is a hood scoop not an option for you? Body lift?
did you just suggest a body lift on a unibody corolla? haha. joke right?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by niall
did you just suggest a body lift on a unibody corolla? haha. joke right?
um... yeah... joke hahah

(I don't have a clue about old Corollas, gimme a break )
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 AM

it should be almost identical to the 3vzFe's they used in camrys size wise. if you wanted rear drive the r series wouldnt be a bad idea. however in a front wheel application you could probably use the tranny that came in the camrys with the vzfe motor.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 AM

I am think the R150, just wanted to make sure a W wasnt very feasible since they are alot cheaper and the R150 is geared for carrying, not car lol.

I am also looking at getting a 3vzfe since they may be alot cheaper in my area, but the 5vz is already in rwd configuration, so have to keep that in mind.

And with the hood I can cut the bracing, but right now I am hoping to limit anything that makes the car appear to want to race, you know, the whole sleeper thing lol. I may use this opprutunity to work on my welding and try and make an intake. Still in planning though.

So, its guaranteed I am going to give this a try in the near future since the 3TC is aged and I think a v6 will make it a well rounded vehicle for everything I want to use it for.

And thanks so far on the motor info. Good info. Do all 3vz's share the same bottom parts (oil pan bolt pattern, oil pick up, etc)

Last edited by UtahSleeper; 01-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 AM

Bump. Still hoping to get some dimensions. Someone at my work had a truck that I got to poke around with a tape measure, but couldn't get exact measurements. The measurement I get from front to rear was 18", but not very precise lol. When compared to a 1UZ at 25", this is more reason to use a 5vz as it can help with weight distro.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
it should be almost identical to the 3vzFe's they used in camrys size wise. if you wanted rear drive the r series wouldnt be a bad idea. however in a front wheel application you could probably use the tranny that came in the camrys with the vzfe motor.
Didn't they have to tilt the motor rather aggressively to get it to fit in the camry's?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM

they did.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:54 AM

I will add one more question to the equation.

3vze vs 5vzfe, would it be acceptable to try and use a 3vze(with head work obviously)? Or is are the drawbacks that severe for a 3vze that I should avoid it? Which ever motor I use will be using megasquirt to control it.

Decided to bump this again cause piston 3 on my Corolla decided it no long wanted to compress air anymore lol, so plans for my motor swap are getting bumped a little.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:43 AM

Yeah man if you are going thru the trouble, avoid the 3vze at all cost. You're getting a 150hp turd that likes to pop it's headgaskets, clatters even in good tune, and has poor fuel economy. There's a reason the 3vze to 5vze swap is so popular. Plus the 5vze can be happily boosted.

What kind of dimensions are you needing exactly?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
What kind of dimensions are you needing exactly?
Width from the outside of each of the valve covers

Height from bottom of the block to the top of the intake. I know the intake adds a couple inches and could need to be modified, but figure start with the known numbers incase I can't lower it much.