3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

California BAR Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California BAR Update

Hi all, I wanted to post a quick note to update for anyone doing the 3.4 swap in the Communist state of California. The BAR (at least in the Fresno area) has changed their Subjective standards on this swap. My swap (97 5VZ into my 1989 Toyota 4x4) just failed due to several issues that they are now requiring. The Toy Only Swaps crossover pipe (or any for that matter) are no longer accepted, the exhaust HAS to be routed down the RIGHT side which of course is a major problem for this swap...He also said that the ECU needs a letter from Toyota to state that it is not flashed or tampered with. Also asking for the VIN# of the donor vehicle. Very disappointed and frustrated as I spend almost 6 months on this forum (and many others) making sure that I did this 100% BY THE BOOK...Its is the cleanest swap and I was very meticulous to make sure it looked 100% stock. Anyway, I'm weighing my options and need to decide what to do. I may try to get it into another region (San Diego BAR), but I'm not sure if its already flagged in their system even if I go to a Diff region.--Any thoughts or advise is welcome as well. This forum has been amazing through this process and I'm super bummed about the failing BAR inspection.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM

I may end up selling the truck or may even consider pulling the motor and swap parts out and sell separately. Carefully weighing my options at this point. I'm not sure I want to pull the motor again to mess with the exhaust issues. This truck would be fine for anyone in Oregon, Arizona, Nevada etc. As I cant post in the classifieds I will have to post in Craigslist. PM me if you want any information on the truck or swap parts. I feel like its worth 6,500 as its sits. I will try to snap some pics of the swap and truck.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take it to the referee located in Whittier college. Thats where I took mine and he had no problem with my custom crossover pipe. he should have no problem with yours.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dbozz
Hi all, I wanted to post a quick note to update for anyone doing the 3.4 swap in the Communist state of California. The BAR (at least in the Fresno area) has changed their Subjective standards on this swap. My swap (97 5VZ into my 1989 Toyota 4x4) just failed due to several issues that they are now requiring. The Toy Only Swaps crossover pipe (or any for that matter) are no longer accepted, the exhaust HAS to be routed down the RIGHT side which of course is a major problem for this swap...He also said that the ECU needs a letter from Toyota to state that it is not flashed or tampered with. Also asking for the VIN# of the donor vehicle. Very disappointed and frustrated as I spend almost 6 months on this forum (and many others) making sure that I did this 100% BY THE BOOK...Its is the cleanest swap and I was very meticulous to make sure it looked 100% stock. Anyway, I'm weighing my options and need to decide what to do. I may try to get it into another region (San Diego BAR), but I'm not sure if its already flagged in their system even if I go to a Diff region.--Any thoughts or advise is welcome as well. This forum has been amazing through this process and I'm super bummed about the failing BAR inspection.

Any custom crossover is never going to pass in Fresno. Well documented in this forum and others. This is not a new issue that they are NOW requiring. The guy there is a jerk. Also well known in this area. The man has a job to do and rules to enforce but he is less than helpful, and lazy in my opinion. Saying that, I have been through there 4 times now with swaps and passed each time.

You are going to have to squeeze the stock crossover in there and fit the exhaust. I have done it, again, 4 times. It can be done.

Never needed to have any type of letter from Toyota, and I did have the VIN 2 of those times and twice I didn't. Never even heard of the letter from Toyota part. I would think that is impossible.

I'd go over his head on the letter part, but for the crossover, its plain as day in the rules. no tampering is allowed with anything before the o2 sensor. I am surely not saying that it makes sense, but it is the rule. He just enforces it.

Swap your exhaust to the other side.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 PM

Hey Jason, I actually remember following your early threads and as you were using an Auto, I don't think I followed too closely. I greatly appreciate your input and expertise in these swaps. I don't have the time/energy to pull the motor and re-work the exhaust at this point. I will try my luck down in Whittier and keep my fingers crossed. The truck is also for sale on Craigslist at this point (Visalia)...No interest except for a about 17 scammers and 3rd parties.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Put that on Marlin's board and Pirate.

Clean looking swap.

Personally, I think you are a little high on your price, but who knows.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:24 PM

Hey Dbozz,

FYI, I got my 2nd gen 4Runner 3.4 swap approved in 2015 at station 799198 - Rio Hondo College. Didn't need a VIN # on the donor car. ECU was from a T100. Tried to use a stock intake with an aftermarket filter but that wasn't allowed. Couldn't fit the stock airbox so I replaced the whole intake with a CARB legal K&N. I also had to route a line & filter for one of the charcoal canister ports. Otherwise everything went fine. No problems with aftermarket crossover pipe & exhaust down driver side. Hope that helps.

- Luke
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveClimber
Hey Dbozz,

FYI, I got my 2nd gen 4Runner 3.4 swap approved in 2015 at station 799198 - Rio Hondo College. Didn't need a VIN # on the donor car. ECU was from a T100. Tried to use a stock intake with an aftermarket filter but that wasn't allowed. Couldn't fit the stock airbox so I replaced the whole intake with a CARB legal K&N. I also had to route a line & filter for one of the charcoal canister ports. Otherwise everything went fine. No problems with aftermarket crossover pipe & exhaust down driver side. Hope that helps.

- Luke
same thing I did