3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab

Probably be a few months before i can do the swap. Im driving the 92 right now and beginning to collect/fabricate other parts, paychecks dont roll around fast enough!
Im going from 3.0 auto to a 3.4 auto so i need a xfer case off and older 4cyl rig and the adapter from marlin or inchwormgear. my donor is a 2002 4runner and I dont have the whole vehicle but took everything i possibly could off it, including the instrument panel. Question i havent really looked too closely but will the 2002 instrument cluster fit in the 92 or will i still have to mod the tach/ speedo with a resistor. The crossover is the newer style so i might have a little work to get that part right, im not that good of a welder but i can make a bead it wont look pretty but it'll hold. Anyone still making the crossover? Anyway wish me luck im in the outskirts of vegas if anyone near has a finished product i can copy/pick your brain, thanks Ed
Old 02-29-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toy Only Swaps will convert your crossover; I'm not sure about the new style, but they did the one from my '96 4Runner donor back in December (2011). http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/Page_4.html

Rumor has it that Off Road Solution is still around, though the web site continues to announce their closure. http://www.offroadsolutions.com/old/...nversions.html

Email either company, it can't hurt to ask.

Adding the 10K resistor should be a piece of cake (assuming you have access to a soldering iron) relative to swapping an entire instrument cluster. dntsdad went down that road and decided it wasn't needed.

Congrats on the purchase and best of luck gathering all the parts; you'll find lots of little things along the way.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 AM

Im still in the beginning stages of my swap. And I just recently got an e-mail from off road solutions they are in fact doing business and the web site should be back up soon.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:44 AM

Good luck, its not quite as hard as it seems. Agreed, the resistor on the tach took me all of maybe 5 mins, very easy.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Here she is!

Dug through the boxes of stuff today......missing power steering pump
Attached Thumbnails Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab-image_0002.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 AM

Thanks man i didnt know about toyonlyswaps

Originally Posted by SacRunner
Toy Only Swaps will convert your crossover; I'm not sure about the new style, but they did the one from my '96 4Runner donor back in December (2011). http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/Page_4.html

Rumor has it that Off Road Solution is still around, though the web site continues to announce their closure. http://www.offroadsolutions.com/old/...nversions.html

Email either company, it can't hurt to ask.

Adding the 10K resistor should be a piece of cake (assuming you have access to a soldering iron) relative to swapping an entire instrument cluster. dntsdad went down that road and decided it wasn't needed.

Congrats on the purchase and best of luck gathering all the parts; you'll find lots of little things along the way.

Ill see what he can do with the new style crossover it looks to have better flow!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sacredmagic
Probably be a few months before i can do the swap. Im driving the 92 right now and beginning to collect/fabricate other parts, paychecks dont roll around fast enough!
Im going from 3.0 auto to a 3.4 auto so i need a xfer case off and older 4cyl rig and the adapter from marlin or inchwormgear. my donor is a 2002 4runner and I dont have the whole vehicle but took everything i possibly could off it, including the instrument panel. Question i havent really looked too closely but will the 2002 instrument cluster fit in the 92 or will i still have to mod the tach/ speedo with a resistor. The crossover is the newer style so i might have a little work to get that part right, im not that good of a welder but i can make a bead it wont look pretty but it'll hold. Anyone still making the crossover? Anyway wish me luck im in the outskirts of vegas if anyone near has a finished product i can copy/pick your brain, thanks Ed
the newer cluster will not fit into your dash. I tried a bunch of different ways, and while it may be possible with enough fabrication, it certainly wasn't worth it for me. All the angles are wrong and the size of the clusters is different as well. Doing the tach mod is easy and cheap. May cost you $1 in resistors, and a total of 1 hour to complete.

I did my crossover myself and it really wasn't that hard. I am not a welder at all and have minimal metal tools. If you have a grinder with cutoff wheel and a welder, you can do it. Even if you just tack in place and then have a pro make the final passes to make it sturdy. Thats what I did.

Both these issues are covered in my thread. The tach in in the middle somewhere and the crossover towards the end.

Link is below, in my signature

Good luck and congrats on scoring a donor. I know that was half my battle in this whole process
Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM

thanks all doesen't look like I want to mess with converting the speedo to the 2002, I'll just solder the resistor. If i get an adapter and an old gear driven xfer case will i need to mod my cross member?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:16 PM

thanks all doesen't look like I want to mess with converting the speedo to the 2002, I'll just solder the resistor. If i get an adapter and an old gear driven xfer case will i need to mod my cross member?
Yes. It will have to be modified or changed. I really like the Trail Gear one that ended up using.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:37 PM

I'm looking at the trail gear cross members which one did you get? I see one for $209 and another possible candidate for $366 I'm hoping the cheaper one will suffice!
And was there a need for drive-shaft modifications? And does the transfer case needs the 23 spline input gear for this adapter to work? I haven't purchased the transfer case yet but I have a line on one pretty cheap.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 PM

I'm looking at the trail gear cross members which one did you get? I see one for $209 and another possible candidate for $366 I'm hoping the cheaper one will suffice!
And was there a need for drive-shaft modifications? And does the transfer case needs the 23 spline input gear for this adapter to work? I haven't purchased the transfer case yet but I have a line on one pretty cheap.
I used the first cross member on this page.
http://www.trail-gear.com/crossmembers
Fit great. This is a dual case crossmember though. I think that you could probably use it and just use the front set of mounts however if you are running single case. I am not sure. Might want to give TG a call and ask but I cant see why not.

On the adapter, you will need the 23 spline input from Marlin and the Tacoma style adapter if you are running the 340F from your donor (which you should be rather than the 340H that is in your vehicle now)

23 spine input here - They have gone up since i got mine!!!
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfe...ine-input-gear

I think that you will surely need to change the length of the driveline. I THINK that the 340F is longer than the 340H and the adapter adds a bit. Maybe someone that has done the auto to auto swap can pipe in but I would factor that into your budget and if not then its gravy.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM

Picked up a transfer case with a 5 speed tranny attached to it.......anyone need a 5 speed wo transfer case?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Going over the wiring and my donor is a 2002 4runner looks like it had everything, vsc, trc, abs, immobilizer circut, i was wondering about all these systems, especially the immobilizer circut, if i just leave them disconnected will they have any affect on my swap, i have complete wiring harnesses, with what appears to be some sort of chip key that plugs into a socket on the other harness !
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 AM

xfer case adapter

Got to get my hands greasy yesterday, the adapter plate and the 23 spline output gear came a few days ago and I tore into the transfer case, installed the gear and mounted the case to the tranny, I did have a question on this sensor on the xfer case because it hindered me from installing one bolt! What is it? Do I need it? ok 2 questions!
Attached Thumbnails Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab-sensor.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM

few pics

Here ae a few pictures of the 84 xfer case getting the new 23 spline gear....ect
Attached Thumbnails Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab-84xfercase.jpg   Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab-caseseperated.jpg   Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab-oldnewgear.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM

xfer case installed

Xfer case installed
Attached Thumbnails Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab-84installed2002.jpg  
Old 04-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Hey just a note for your speedometer.... I used a 98 t100 and it used a speedometer cable and my 93 4runner uses a sensor I tried to swap them out but the size difference between the 2 is pretty big. So You should look around on your transmission to see what your old one uses and what your new one does to be ready for it

Last edited by andersej; 04-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Roger thanks, mine are sensors on both donor and recipient, ill probably have some fabbing to do to get it right
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 PM

nice! I looked online for a sensor type to convert mine but any that I find are way expensive! So I think I'm just gonna get me a GPS that shows my speed instead! 2 birds 1 stone.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andersej
nice! I looked online for a sensor type to convert mine but any that I find are way expensive! So I think I'm just gonna get me a GPS that shows my speed instead! 2 birds 1 stone.
You can do this, but you'll have to live with a PO500 speed sensor code and check engine light. Unless, or course, you disable the light.

Quick Reply: Bought my 3.4 to put in my 92 pickup 4x4 ex cab