3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

1991 4 runner thinking of going to 3.4

Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I know the last one we did we pulled countless connectors off the donor vehicle, pins, wires, etc to make things look factory. The 3.4 AC expansion valve is what I remember from the in cab.

On mine we are doing on thr trail rig now I stripped all the wiring out of two 97 4Runners and kept the pile just to have extra connectors, pins and wires.

Power steering lines should bolt up but things are moved around depending on where you put things.

:wabbit2:

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 11-17-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I know the last one we did we pulled countless connectors off the donor vehicle, pins, wires, etc to make things look factory. The 3.4 AC expansion valve is what I remember from the in cab.

On mine we are doing on thr trail rig now I stripped all the wiring out of two 97 4Runners and kept the pile just to have extra connectors, pins and wires.

Power steering lines should bolt up but things are moved around depending on where you put things.

I wish I had a donor vehicle locally to me, but I can't find any T100's in the area. I most likely will be able to find some connectors if I need them at a local junkyard which will be a pain to run back and forth. Then if I find myself without some connectors I can maybe go to the junkyard and just pull the entire harness if needed.

The place I've in touch with says they ship this swap out a few times a month. What they're saying they're going to include is the engine itself with all the peripherals, evap, ecu, and engine harness. Hopefully that's complete.

The reason I'm asking about the powersteering hose is I remember reading a thread where they mentioned the ORS powersteering hose and how it was nice to have that. However, when reading some of the more current swap posts no one seems to mention the powersteering hose being a problem.

From what I can tell at least the swap goes like this:
1. get everything ie wiring harness, engine, ecu.
2. modify the alternator bracket
3. flip the fuel line
4. timing belt, headgasket if needed on the 5vz
5. push out the oil dipstick plug if needed, install the dipstick, plug the other side.
4. pull the 3vz
5. swap battery from passenger side to driver side
6. move coolant bottle if needed
7. install the 5vz
8. install wiring

I know I'm leaving out some small steps, but I want to have a general idea of what's going on before I get to it and have a disabled truck that I can't drive.

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ultimase
I wish I had a donor vehicle locally to me, but I can't find any T100's in the area. I most likely will be able to find some connectors if I need them at a local junkyard which will be a pain to run back and forth. Then if I find myself without some connectors I can maybe go to the junkyard and just pull the entire harness if needed.

The place I've in touch with says they ship this swap out a few times a month. What they're saying they're going to include is the engine itself with all the peripherals, evap, ecu, and engine harness. Hopefully that's complete.

The reason I'm asking about the powersteering hose is I remember reading a thread where they mentioned the ORS powersteering hose and how it was nice to have that. However, when reading some of the more current swap posts no one seems to mention the powersteering hose being a problem.

From what I can tell at least the swap goes like this:
1. get everything ie wiring harness, engine, ecu.
2. modify the alternator bracket
3. flip the fuel line
4. timing belt, headgasket if needed on the 5vz
5. push out the oil dipstick plug if needed, install the dipstick, plug the other side.
4. pull the 3vz
5. swap battery from passenger side to driver side
6. move coolant bottle if needed
7. install the 5vz
8. install wiring

I know I'm leaving out some small steps, but I want to have a general idea of what's going on before I get to it and have a disabled truck that I can't drive.

Thanks again.
You'll need to swap the oil pans and tubes. Modify the baffle if you use the 3.4 one (which you should IMO)

There are a number of little things that are a pain in the ass like the heater hoses but for the most part your list is pretty good.

For the power steering line, Trail Gear makes a nice one now for Tacomas but its also perfect the a 3.4 swap using the Taco PS pump. This is what I have one mine now.

No direct link; just scroll to near the bottom of the page. 4th product up from the top as of 11-17-11
Tacoma Power Steering Hose Conversion Kits

http://www.trail-gear.com/tacoma
The following users liked this post:
Michael Denoncourt (03-13-2020)
Old 11-20-2011, 06:59 PM

Might have a lead on a 97-98 t100 locally...

But if that doesn't work out I'm thinking about piecing together a swap.
So I think I need:
1. T100 ECU auto (Online)
2. Engine wiring harness (Online)
3. Engine (may have to find one out of a tacoma, or a 4runner)
4. Alternator (hopefully from the same vehicle above)
5. evap box (locally)

The problem I'd run into is everything is probably going to be sourced from different places, and I'm not sure if the wire connectors will fit.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Think I've found a 1998 T100 auto locally. Just awaiting some confirmation so I can go take a look at it.

Then I just need to figure out a way to convince the junkyard to put it aside so I can pull everything I need off of it before all the other people start grabbing parts.

Then I get to pull my first motor...
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Ok 1998 T100 found locally. Was hit hard in the front driver's side. Front is bent backwards but the fan is intact but pushed up against the radiator. Fan isn't spinning easily but while the radiator is bend backwards the radiator is not actually broken, just a lot of bent fins.

I had brought a battery and was hoping to turn the engine over to run a compression test but with the fan against the radiator I couldn't.

Junkyard pricing for the engine, intake, alternator, ac compressor, engine harness, body harness, evap box, crossover pipe and ecu $750.

Another $250 to pull everything... from calipatient this looks like a pretty good deal but I always like to build in some time to think about things before jumping in.

If we end up back in california we will need the crossover pipe back to the o2 sensor. This one is in pretty good condition so I kinda want to keep it if we end up back in cali. But I still need to have a donor cross over pipe, can anyone confirm that the crossover pipes are the same between all the models (T100, tacoma, 4 runner)?

I might be able to grab the crossover pipe from another 4runner locally.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM

put a deposit down on it today. Should have delivery in a week or so.

It has begun...

Anyone in OK have SST I can borrow to hold the crank to do a timing belt?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:18 AM

Picked up a hoist and engine stand from a friend. One question for those with engine hoists, I noticed that the hydrolic ram was quite easily pushed down when I was loading it into the car. I'm hoping that normal, otherwise I'm going to have one heck of a surprise when I'm trying to pump the hoist up to unload the engine from the truck.

Otherwise the junkyard has pulled the motor and they want me to come down to make sure they've pulled everything I need.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Shouldnt be able to push it down. Either the valve it open, its out of fluid, or the seals are bad.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:04 PM

I'll have to check that, when I pulled it out of the 4runner the actual crane portion was upside down. When I picked it up to move it the crane portion extended from just the weight of the beam. I found I was able to push it down with nearly no resistance which has me slightly worried.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 PM

It has begun...

Woke up earlier today and worked on the hoist a bit, it looks like at one point the fluid all leaked out. My neighbor came by and helped me get it assembled, and we tried filling it with some brake fluid. It works!

I have to admit, until you have the motor sitting in front of you it doesn't dawn on you that you're actually going to swap the motor.

Won't have time to take a closer look at it but it appears to be complete.

One thing I've noticed is the the powersteering lines were cut, otherwise just glancing at the motor all the wiring is intact, ac compressor, alternator, ECU, MAF and starter are all there.

Last edited by ultimase; 12-18-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 AM

i am getting together all the info i need to do this swap and one question i have (and it might be a noob question) is do i have to do anything specail to not have a\c? or can i just not put it in?
i dont use or care for it in my 3.0 and would rather not track down the compressor for my new motor and then fuss with it to get it to work properly
Old 12-19-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by robwise
i am getting together all the info i need to do this swap and one question i have (and it might be a noob question) is do i have to do anything specail to not have a\c? or can i just not put it in?
i dont use or care for it in my 3.0 and would rather not track down the compressor for my new motor and then fuss with it to get it to work properly
I assume you can just leave the compressor off. When the ac belt snapped on the 4runner a few years ago the ac died but we didn't notice any any problems driving it when sourcing a new belt.

Can anyone confirm that the powersteering hoses on the 91 4runner will mate to the 98 t100 powersteering pump? I admit I'm pretty confused on the powersteering lines on whether I need to purchase a custom hose or not.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Banned

This is why you get a donor vehicle as it has all the extras you need to swap with the motor like the power steering hoses etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Unfortunately I couldn't get the entire vehicle, the junkyard wasn't willing to sell the entire vehicle to me and my landlord wouldn't be happy with a junked car sitting in front. This will likely end up like the headgasket with me running back and forth for parts I know, but that's my only option at this time.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 PM

you dont need to run the compressor for any reason that I can see but both my swaps reused them so maybe there is something unforseen that I am missing.

As far as the power steering goes, I again am not sure on the T100 hose. I would assume that hte same pump is used across the Tacoma, Runner and T100. A lot of people have used the stock hose. I grafted mine together but then replaced the graft with a Trail Gear hose setup that is really nice. Search the Tacoma section on TG's site if you want to go that route.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Same hose on the T100 as we swapped a T100 motor/trans into a 94 4Runner.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks guys, the powersteering pump looks identical, but I guess I won't know until we get it in there.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 AM

After bouncing back and forth regarding the wiring I'm pondering doing the wiring myself now, reading through the forum from the beginning helps too.

Looking at the engine harness it looks like every plug except one is already wired into this harness. The remaining plug appears to be tied into the body harness. TheMonch was nice enough to send me the EWD for the 98 T100 and I have the complete FSM from toyota at home for the 91 4runner it's going into. If there really is only one plug to worry about then I think I should be able to tackle this. My only big concern is when speaking with ORS they mentioned that a transfer case shift solenoid circuit would have to be added to the harness and I admit I'm not sure what that's in reference to. Anyone have any idea?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM

Just ordered the toyonlyswaps crossover pipe.

Looking to order items for the timing belt since I have it out right now.

Found this on amazon, and the reviews have been very good: http://www.amazon.com/Timing-Belt-To...6&sr=8-1-spell

Going to call them to see if they have a specific model for the 1998 t100. Looks like I'll need to replace at least the valve cover gasket as well as there looks like there was a leak towards the rear of the motor. Anyone have any idea if I can do that without pull the intake manifold?

TheMonch was nice enough to send me the EWD's for the T100 but I'm thinking I'm going to need to get a 1 day membership to download some of the maintenance pages.

Also anyone have any idea what's involved in the transfer case shift solenoid circuit? I have the EWD's laid out and I haven't run across that yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 4 runner thinking of going to 3.4