Engine Swaps Swapping an engine in your Toy, here is where to learn how

V6/V8 swap that requires less than 1inch body lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 87 4x4 extended cab. It has a 1 inch body lift, fenders trimmed to fit 33s, 5speed, 4.88s.

First of all, this is a daily driver, I was planning on making a crawler out of it, but 8 years later, it's still IFS and I drive it at least 3 days a week 60 miles round trip. It has only seen two forest roads since I owned it. So basically it's a pavement pounder with Detroit ez lockers front and rear.

With this new realization, I have decided that I wanted more power. I plan on pulling a 2500 max loaded popup camper.

I would like a v8/v6 swap that does not required a body lift or can fit with a 1 inch body lift installed. I may even be interested in tunnel or firewall mods if small work is needed.

I am more than willing to remove the front diff to gain more clearance, since a locked 2wd is more than enough for my use.

I leaning towards a 1986+ 5.0 swap. I would love to keep it Toyota, but it rather spend less money.

The 5.0 seems to fit better than the 305/350, that is the man reason I'm thinking 5.0.

I also thinking automatic trans, and not keeping the 5speed/transfer case.

I would like to hear from anyone with experience with the 4.3 or 5.0 on clearance issues. With my towing requirements and the amount of hills on the highways here in AZ, I'm kind of hesitant with the 4.3.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't say what you're running now, but I'm guessing you have a 4 cylinder now. If you have a V6 already, the easiest swap would be a 3.4, as it will bolt up to your tranny and the 1" body lift will more than make it simple.

If you have a 4 cylinder, swapping in a Supra engine would probably be easier, but I have no hands-on experience with that.

If you wanted to go to the 3.4 anyhow, there are a few guys on here who have done it. It will take a bit more work, but I love my 3.4 swapped 4Runner.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The 1uz-fe Lexus V-8 will fit with 1" body lift, no firewall mods, some tunnel mods (enlarge shifter opening) .
as far as cost , all depends on what kind of deal you can get on the donor car and if you want to hustle the good parts.

if you go with the lexus auto would be alot cheaper . go 2wd even cheaper still.

good luck !!

Last edited by RMA; 02-05-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go with a carb'd 302 it would fit with a 1 inch bl, if you go with an EFI 5.0 you would need to get the truck intake manifold - which looses pwer and gives it more grunt down low - ie more torque but it is alot shorter runners on it and sits considerably lower in the engine compartment.

Ideal would be 2 inch bl with an EFI setup, I'm looking currently into - took all measurment's etc... - a 93 5.0 with aluminum heads, Trickflow intake manifold - TFS, and cam with 24 lb injector's and matched maf. Haven't pulled the plug on buying it but looking more and more like I will everyday, trying to decide what tranny to put behind it and I'm actually leaning towards the 700r4 with an adapter from advance.

Anyway, you asked direct questions about direct engines - i tried to cater to that in my response, everyone else seem to want to steer you to different engines.

i would recommend the 302 over the 4.3 as i cracked a block on a 4.3 in my ex-wifes 02 blazer and had issues with valves on the vortech heads, so i don't have any love for the 4.3. I do however have love for the Vortech 350 - 255 hp is higher than any of the other's listed and at a usable level than some of the other's. I also averaged 21 mpg on 33's and stock gears in my 96 Z-71, imagine how good it would be in a Runner or Truck

Anyway, did alot of research and did swaps in the past as well.

Last edited by vandert; 02-06-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

3.4 V6
1uz V8

Both require 1 inch body lift
Vandert
Anyway, you asked direct questions about direct engines - i tried to cater to that in my response, everyone else seem to want to steer you to different engines.

Vandert
"Ideal would be 2 inch bl with an EFI setup, I'm looking currently into "

talk about steering away

Kozaz
I leaning towards a 1986+ 5.0 swap. I would love to keep it toyota, but it rather spend less money

he is leaning towards a 5.0 , am assuming he has not made up his mind and just giving him options.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 AM

Thanks for all the input, regardless of engine type. I guess my true goal is to find out what will work with a stock 4x4 IFS Truck (no lift suspension lift) that may require no more than a 1 inch body lift.

I'm not necessary hung up on the 4x4. I would buy a 2wd, but it would have to be cheap or have a blown motor. It would be cheaper for me to keep my 4x4, then buy another truck to do the conversion to.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by vandert
If you go with a carb'd 302 it would fit with a 1 inch bl, if you go with an EFI 5.0 you would need to get the truck intake manifold - which looses pwer and gives it more grunt down low - ie more torque but it is alot shorter runners on it and sits considerably lower in the engine compartment.

Ideal would be 2 inch bl with an EFI setup, I'm looking currently into - took all measurment's etc... - a 93 5.0 with aluminum heads, Trickflow intake manifold - TFS, and cam with 24 lb injector's and matched maf. Haven't pulled the plug on buying it but looking more and more like I will everyday, trying to decide what tranny to put behind it and I'm actually leaning towards the 700r4 with an adapter from advance.

i would recommend the 302 over the 4.3 as i cracked a block on a 4.3 in my ex-wifes 02 blazer and had issues with valves on the vortech heads, so i don't have any love for the 4.3. I do however have love for the Vortech 350 - 255 hp is higher than any of the other's listed and at a usable level than some of the other's. I also averaged 21 mpg on 33's and stock gears in my 96 Z-71, imagine how good it would be in a Runner or Truck

Anyway, did alot of research and did swaps in the past as well.
I to was thinking 5.0 with advance adapter to 700R4. You mention the Truck EFI, is it the same as what you normally see in fox body mustangs?

Mustang Fox Body 5.0
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-gt-engine.jpg
Old 05-28-2010, 08:58 PM

I have a 87' runner with a 97' 4.3, th350, yota case. No body lift, No tunnel mods. Hooked up the stock shifter. wooks great. Going to switch to a 700r4 just for the overdrive. I live near Salt lake city. Drove it down to St. George, driving 60 mph at 3000 rpm i got 19 mpg. I'm hoping to gear and drop the rpm's to 2100-2200. Maybe get a few more mpg's. Would like to get about 22 mpg.
Dwayne
Old 06-08-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kozaz
I to was thinking 5.0 with advance adapter to 700R4. You mention the Truck EFI, is it the same as what you normally see in fox body mustangs?

Mustang Fox Body 5.0
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-gt-engine.jpg

sorry man just saw this somehow, the efi setup is the exact same however the runners in the trucks are setup completely different due to the length of them for the torque over the top end power, the setup is the same except they contain a different upper and lower intake manifold, and different exhaust manifolds.